It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

pjames HB User
too much amino acids?

Is it possible to have too much amino acids? If so, what happens? I have been researching amino acids and well they are AMAZING! I don't see why I dont go and pick up a few pills with an extreme amount in each (if I can I don't know if they come in pills). Any thoughts?

Here is what I found when I researched them.

Tryptophan:

A natural relaxant, helps alleviate insomnia by inducing normal sleep; reduces anxiety & depression; helps in the treatment of migraine headaches; helps the immune system; helps reduce the risk of artery & heart spasms; works with Lysine in reducing cholesterol levels.

Lysine

Insures the adequate absorption of calcium; helps form collagen ( which makes up bone cartilage & connective tissues); aids in the production of antibodies, hormones & enzymes. Recent studies have shown that Lysine may be effective against herpes by improving the balance of nutrients that reduce viral growth. A deficiency may result in tiredness, inability to concentrate, irritability, bloodshot eyes, retarded growth, hair loss ,anemia & reproductive problems

Methionine

Is a principle supplier of sulfur which prevents disorders of the hair, skin and nails; helps lower cholesterol levels by increasing the liver's production of lecithin; reduces liver fat and protects the kidneys; a natural chelating agent for heavy metals; regulates the formation of ammonia and creates ammonia-free urine which reduces bladder irritation; influences hair follicles and promotes hair growth. See

PHENYLALAINE

sed by the brain to produce Norepinephrine, a chemical that transmits signals between nerve cells and the brain; keeps you awake & alert; reduces hunger pains; functions as an antidepressant and helps improve memory.

Threonine

Is an important constituent of collagen, Elastin, and enamel protein; helps prevents fat build-up in the liver; helps the digestive and intestinal tracts function more smoothly; assists metabolism and assimilation.

Valine

Promotes mental vigor, muscle coordination and calm emotions.

LEUCINE & ISOLEUCINE

They provide ingredients for the manufacturing of other essential biochemical components in the body, some of which are utilized for the production of energy, stimulants to the upper brain and helping you to be more alert.

ARGININE

Studies have shown that is has improved immune responses to bacteria, viruses & tumor cells; promotes wound healing and regeneration of the liver; causes the release of growth hormones; considered crucial for optimal muscle growth and tissue repair.

TYROSINE

Transmits nerve impulses to the brain; helps overcome depression; Improves memory; increases mental alertness; promotes the healthy functioning of the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands.

GLYCINE

Helps trigger the release of oxygen to the energy requiring cell-making process; Important in the manufacturing of hormones responsible for a strong immune system.

SERINE

A storage source of glucose by the liver and muscles; helps strengthen the immune system by providing antibodies; synthesizes fatty acid sheath around nerve fibers.

GLUTAMIC ACID

Considered to be nature's "Brain food" by improving mental capacities; helps speed the healing of ulcers; gives a "lift" from fatigue; helps control alcoholism, schizophrenia and the craving for sugar.

ASPARTIC ACID

Aids in the expulsion of harmful ammonia from the body. When ammonia enters the circulatory system it acts as a highly toxic substance which can be harmful to the central nervous system. Recent studies have shown that Aspartic Acid may increase resistance to fatigue and increase endurance.

CYSTEINE

Functions as an antioxidant and is a powerful aid to the body in protecting against radiation and pollution. It can help slow down the aging process, deactivate free radicals, neutralize toxins; aids in protein synthesis and presents cellular change. It is necessary for the formation of the skin, which aids in the recovery from burns and surgical operations. Hair and
skin are made up 10-14% Cystine.

HISTIDINE

Is found abundantly in hemoglobin; has been used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, allergic diseases, ulcers & anemia. A deficiency can cause poor hearing.

PROLINE

Is extremely important for the proper functioning of joints and tendons; also helps maintain and strengthen heart muscles.

ALANINE

Is an important source of energy for muscle tissue, the brain and central nervous system; strengthens the immune system by producing antibodies; helps in the metabolism of sugars and organic acids.

Last edited by pjames; 08-05-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User
Re: too much amino acids?

A good Whey Protien contains almost all the amino acids. Get one without artificial sweetners (most have them). I like Jay Robbs, been using it for serveral months. Seems to make me feel better. But I would say with any food, herb, etc. of course there is a point where your body has enough and oversupplementation doesn't help. How do you find that point? I don't know! I do know that this is Protein, so I measure that point by the number of Grams of protien consumed per lb of weight. Each scoop of Jay Robb has about 24 grams. A sedentary person isupposedly needs .5g per lb of body weight. A very active person up to 1gm. Jay Robb (whom I don't work for also has Egg Protien which tastes the same to me). You can get it in flavors or unflavored.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A DOWNSIDE TO SUPPLEMENTING 25 GRAMS OF WHEY PROTEIN PER DAY PLEASE POST.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
(male)

pjames HB User

I found good advise at a certain dietician website.
It said to take you body weight, divide by 2.2 and then multiply by 1.2 to get your daily protein intake (needed).

So for me, I am 159/ 2.2 x 1.2 = 86 grams of protein.

Perhaps this is wrong but I found it off a dietician website. Anyways, I am currently taking a portein shake, a multivitamin, ginseng, and eat 2 protein bars a day (on top of regular meals). I just worry about an overdose on certain things, amino acids, vitamins, etc.. I wish I could find a website that listend the maximum daily intake of any of these.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I'm no dietician or anything, but I don't believe you can overdose on amino acids, like you can fat soluble vitamins and certain minerals. I believe if your body doesn't need any more of a certain amino acid, it is excreted by the body.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User

You gotta be careful, You can definately overdose on some of the amino acids. I hate the fact that we cant out websites here cuz id link you to a site where a dr uses an amino acid approach to depression etc. The neurotransmitter amino acids like tyrosine tryptophan, 5htp (converted from tryptophan.) In your list you didnt include 5htp which is real important topic. L-tryptophan used to be legal till there was a poisoned batch that came from japan and people died. Anyway the FDA took it off the market even after that info was released, I am assuming to keep prozac sales up as that was the hot stuff at the time. tryptophan does all those things u listed but most important and why it does those things is, it is responsible for producing more serotonin in the body. l-tryptophan converts in to 5-htp which then converts into serotonin. Many ssri drugs work by increasing your serotonin but they do so by unnatural methods think of it as gas additive where as tryptophan is the gas or serotonin is rather. As far as overdosing, since I am unable to get my hands on tryptophan at stores I am taking 5htp, and I will tell u if u take too much u can get bad headaches, at least I do, also too much of any neurotransmitter can cause bad symptoms like serotonin syndrome where if your body has toxic amounts in extreme cases death can occur. So I would suggest that you go by a set dosage. If you want pm me Ill tell you where you can find some good info on dosage etc of amino acid therapy. Good luck

Old 09-11-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

THe main thing is not to take isolated amino acids; apparentely, in nature, aminos are usually in protein as chains and are meant to be ingested together since they all have to work together.

Also, I found out that how much protein one needs not only depends on activity but by bodyfat. In other words, if you weigh 168 lbs but have 35% or so bodyfat, your lean muscle weight is really only around 121 lbs so that's the weight that needs protein, not the whole 165 lbs! THis also goes for calorie consumption. I don't know the formula yet, I'll look for it one of these days, but I'm going by my own weight and bodyfat taken about 2 years ago during a promotion at my gym. Now I'm down to 145 lbs. but haven't had my bodyfat taken lately; however I'm weight training so it could be alot less now.

The whole point is not to assume you need protein for every ounce of your body but when you have it, make sure it's complete protein like in food and also those protein shakes another poster mentioned.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:37 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i think people need to distinguish between the role of PROTEIN and INDIVIDUAL AMINO ACIDS. when you take amino acids in the form of a complete protein, ie. whey protein, the body uses the vast majority for protein synthethis (muscle growth, cell repair, cell growth etc) and the rest is used for the other purposes that amino acids have (nuerotransmitter and hormone production, immune system, cholesterol lowering etc.). when you take individual amino acids the body doesn't really use the amino acid for protein synthethis and instead uses it only for the specific uses it has. for example, typtophan is an essential amino acid and is usually ingested by consumption of protein rich foods such as chicken, fish, eggs but also in vegetable protein too like bread, grains, pulses etc. because it is an essential amino acid it is vital for protein synthesis to occur. tryptophan also has other uses too like serotonin production. when it is ingested in the form of an individual amino acid it is used primarily for serotonin production rather than protein synthethis. the same rule applies to the other INDIVIDUAL aminos. it all really depends on what your needs are. if you want protein for protein synthethis then consume protein rich foods (including protein powders), if you want the specific benefits of each individual amino acid then take them individually as supplements WITHOUT PROTEIN FOODS OR DRINKS AND ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. taking them with protein will mean they are "lost" in protein synthethis rather in the same way as if they were derived from protein rich food. hope this makes sense.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 09-15-2005 at 08:36 AM.

Closed Thread