It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

georgi HB User
St Johns Wort 4 depression what for weight loss?

I know that St Johns Wort works for depression because I have been taking it for 2 years and it has helped me. Before that I had tried just about everything.....Prozac...etc...etc. Now I want to know what is recommended for weight loss. Any ideas?
Thanks,
georgi girl

Old 08-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

sarahjean HB User
Re: St Johns Wort 4 depression what for weight loss?

Ephedra also known as MaHuang is one of the more common ones, another is Fenfen, hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjean
Ephedra also known as MaHuang is one of the more common ones, another is Fenfen, hope this helps

You're going to be hard pressed to (legally) find ephedra or FenFen in the United States. They're banned substances, and very dangerous to the body.

The most effective way to loose weight is to eat a proper diet and exercise regularly.

Last edited by GLSheridan; 08-07-2005 at 05:34 AM.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

How much weight are you trying to lose? If you are severely obese, I suggest you see a nutritionist or doctor, because it's a serious health problem and you shouldn't be messing with OTC stuff.

If you are trying to lose 10 or 20 pounds, I'd suggest leaving the supplements alone. From everything I've seen, most of them are dangerous. Forget those fad diets. Here's what I suggest:

1. Drink lots and lots of water. It will curb your appetite and improve your metabolism.

2. Eat a big breakfast. You'll burn most of it off and will be less likely to snack during the day. You'll also feel better during the day.

3. Try drinking kefir (a yogurt-like drink). The flavored kind is creamy & delicious, like a smoothie. It seems to curb my sugar cravings. It tastes like dessert but it's good for you.

4. Eat balanced, yummy, healthy meals. Then you may not want dessert. Healthy food gives you energy and makes you want to exercise. Exercise has to be part of any weight-loss program.

5. Juiced vegetable drinks curb my sugar cravings. I have my own juicer but I get them at a health food bar too. If you put carrots in the juice, they are full of carbs and low in calories. You feel energized and full.

6. Cut down on dairy products. If you like them, eat them, but just not too much! If you eat meat, stay with fish, lean beef and chicken. Never eat fast food.

Personally, I'd rather be a bit flabby than get on some horrible diet program. Maintaining a healthy weight is a complex, whole-body, whole-lifestyle thing. Fad diets and drugs, including the herbs, are the most dangerous things around. But that's just MY opinion......

Old 08-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #5
(female)

georgi HB User

Thank You. I would rather try a slow safe way of losing weight. No more Fad diets!!!!

Closed Thread