It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

Siddartha HB User
alternative meds for stomach aches/proper digestion

hey... i get stomach aches really often and really easily. i eat super healthy... but i'd basically have to limit my diet to fruits, whole grains and veggies to keep my stomach completely happy (which i do, for the most part.... but not always)... anyway, i hate taking Tums and pepto bisoml cause they just seem so toxic and unhealthy... i was wondering if there were any supplements...alternative meds which i could take? PLEAS EHELP!! THANKYOU!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
(male)

Rkoa63 HB User
Re: alternative meds for stomach aches/proper digestion

I take Ginger Root when I have an upset stomach. I first tried the liquid Ginger Root and would mix it with hot water, but i couldnt handle the taste. So now i take it in capsule form. Works just the same for me. I purchased mine from Mother's Market, not sure if they have any of those in your town. But im sure you can get it at any grocery store. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Try slippery elm, aloe, DGL licorce.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

Have you tried an elimination diet? What is super healthy? I used to think I ate healthy then I learned about MSG, Teflon Pans, Food Additives, etc. Do you eat grocery store beef, fish, or chicken? I no longer eat any dairy, and I am currently avoiding all grains. 5 to 7 servings of fruits and vegetables is hard enough, 8 or more is nearly impossible for me. I think there would be many that would agree that "whole grains" are NOT super healthy. Everyone looks for a pill to fix everything. Figure out the cause, and forget the pills. It's a crazy concept I know - cause and effect. Treat the symptoms (mask with pills or supplements) and you still have the cause... slowly ruining your health. Supplements are GREAT, but don't run down to the local Costco and load up until you figure out what you need to supplement. Just taking supplements in a shotgun fashion probably won't help. So get some "Natural" remedies then figure out what is wrong so you can fix it. You can't keep pouring STOP LEAK in your radiator and expect it to last forever.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I have been very successful for reflux symptoms with digestive enzymes, probiotics, and lots of fiber to keep the digestion moving. Don't know if it will help you--but it's sure helped me!

Old 08-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #6

theREDshoes HB User

If you have trouble with eating protein and maybe with protein and fats then you may have either low stomach acid or another problem. Low stomach acid is easy to test for but it seems like something most doctors don't concern themselves with. You drink down some apple cider vinegar mixed in some water, add some honey to taste if you want. (Try about 2 ounces of ACV in 6 ounces of water.) But if this makes you feel acidic or causes some indigestion then have some milk or food to counter that and it means your stomach has enough acid. But if you feel nothing from that drink then you do have low stomach acid. Buy HCL supplements sold in health food stores and do NOT follow the instructions on the label. You need to take more than the label recommends. How much is a trial and error process. But I used to have low stomach acid and would take 25 of those pills for one meal.

But if you don't have low stomach acid than you should try some enzymes. You would want the enzymes for the foods that you can't seem to eat, whch seem to be protein and fats. Enzymes too are a trial and error process. But a good multi-enzyme could be worth a try first.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran

stasia12 HB User

peppermint tea works wonders for an upset stomach, or the tincture if you dont want the tea. i like the taste though. all the mints work,, ginger works well too like someone else suggested. also some people use capascin with good results to help digestion.try to avoid drinking too much during and right after your meal, it can **** up your digestion. seltzer can calm aan upset stomach as well, sometimes.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:00 AM   #8
(female)

Jennihul HB User

Absolute cure for reflux and heartburn is not eating breads with proteins and eating fruit on a completely empty stomach. Food combining is as old as the last century.

So have meats and non-starchy veggies. Or starchy veggies and other veggies.

Fruit after you have digested your last meal at least four hours and have nothing for at least 30 mins after fruit. Only fresh fruit. No canned, no pie, no jelly.

When I was a vegan with no meat, eggs dairy I had no heartburn. Now I am on Atkins with no breads at all and I have no heartburn. In between these diets, I take tums and pepcid all day long. "NORMAL" diets with meat and potatoes, bread and steak, fish and rice all conflict the digestion juices and cause heartburn, tummy aches and reflux.

Jennifer

Closed Thread