It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
Is Kava Kava safe to take?

Is Kava Kava safe to take? Seems like I remember I read somewhere that it wasn't. I heard that you can take it to help insomnia, which is what I would like to take it for. Does anyone know if it is alright to take? Thanks

Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Is Kava Kava safe to take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie in mary
Is Kava Kava safe to take? Seems like I remember I read somewhere that it wasn't. I heard that you can take it to help insomnia, which is what I would like to take it for. Does anyone know if it is alright to take? Thanks

Kava Kava has been linked to liver damage, and it's more indicated for anxiety.

Have you tried melatonin? Although it isn't a "cure" for insomnia, it claims to help establish sleep cycles, and is another alternative therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSheridan
Kava Kava has been linked to liver damage, .
the people it caused liver damage in took far more than the recommended dosage. herbs should be treated with as much respect as drugs. if you screw around with them they'll screw you up. take too much alcohol and it'll give you liver failure, same with taking paracetamol too much. but i don't see either of them being banned. if you follow the doasage with herbs its fine. if you don't its not.

herbs indicated for anxiety usually are indicated for insomnia as their calming and sedating properties help both ailments. kava kava belongs to a group of herbs called the nervines (others include passion flower, valerian, hops etc.). nervines calm the nervous system, are nervous system tonics and favour sleep. this is why they are good for both insomnia and anxiety. just a point of interest: we sell one herbal preparation for insomnia and one prep for stress/anxiety in the store i work at. due to lisenceing laws they both have to be packaged in different boxes but the ingredients of the prep for insominia is exactly the same as the prep for stress/anxiety. my verdict is chill about the kava kava.

alex.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #4

tajma HB User

With all due respect your both wrong. The cases where Kava caused liver damage was proven to be due to some companies in an effort to save money use leaves and other parts of the plant that are toxic. Only the root should be used. As with any herb it should be used with respect, which with kava means not taking if you already know you have liver problems or mixing with any alchol that day. i have taken for many years and never had a problem. Buy from a respectable company that you trust for other health products.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

holst HB User

So, can you take it everyday for anxiety?

Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajma
With all due respect your both wrong. The cases where Kava caused liver damage was proven to be due to some companies in an effort to save money use leaves and other parts of the plant that are toxic. Only the root should be used. As with any herb it should be used with respect, which with kava means not taking if you already know you have liver problems or mixing with any alchol that day. i have taken for many years and never had a problem. Buy from a respectable company that you trust for other health products.
i heard recently from a work colleage that it was due to the fact that a drug adict in germany was taking it at the same time as his recreational drugs, which is why he died. the combo put too much strain on his liver.

alex.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by holst
So, can you take it everyday for anxiety?
yes you can. just don't take it with other sedatives or if you have liver problems or a history of them.

alex.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:54 AM   #8
(female)

summerbreeze7 HB User

I'm jumping in here because I am considering giving Kava a try. I have a great health food store that I go to for a few other supplements etc. My liver is healthy (I have to have kidney/liver function tested once a month) due to a medication/condition I have. Long story short it causes stress (my condition) I guess any chronic condition does that right???? so any way I will probably ask my Doctor what he thinks about it; in the mean time I may try a small amount until my next appt. Maybe it will help my headaches too?????????????????? I have been taking a medication called fioricet, and it has acetomenihine (sp)? in it with caffeine, and butalbital. I want to taper off of this med. I don't want to feel up tight during the tapering off period, and if it helps a little I may try it before going to bed as well. I don't want to take anything that is no longer working. I have tried passion flower tea, and it really works for me at the end of a stressfull day.

Take care
Kathy

Old 09-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
(male)

GanChan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerbreeze7
I'm jumping in here because I am considering giving Kava a try. I have a great health food store that I go to for a few other supplements etc. My liver is healthy (I have to have kidney/liver function tested once a month) due to a medication/condition I have. Long story short it causes stress (my condition) I guess any chronic condition does that right???? so any way I will probably ask my Doctor what he thinks about it; in the mean time I may try a small amount until my next appt. Maybe it will help my headaches too?????????????????? I have been taking a medication called fioricet, and it has acetomenihine (sp)? in it with caffeine, and butalbital. I want to taper off of this med. I don't want to feel up tight during the tapering off period, and if it helps a little I may try it before going to bed as well. I don't want to take anything that is no longer working. I have tried passion flower tea, and it really works for me at the end of a stressfull day.

Take care
Kathy
I wouldn't combine kava with acetominophen, even in a "tapering off" situation.

Closed Thread