It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

gassone HB User
Alternative treatments to tiriple bypass surgery?

My father is 71 and was told he needs triple bypass. His right main artery is 100% blocked, another is 99% blocked and the other is 90%.

The doctor says there is no alternative.

Does anyone have experiences with alternatives that work instead of surgery?

TIA
Eva

Old 08-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User
Re: Alternative treatments to tiriple bypass surgery?

You could read about IV Chelation, but at this point from what you posted you may not have any options. Time is certainly not your friend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

I agree with notpain, with the blockages your father has, he isn't getting much circulation or oxygen supply, and bypass may well be necessary at this point.
I know you're worried for him and heart surgery is scary. My dad is 82 and had 2 (unsuccesful) stints last year, and finally bypass. He's doing well, walks every day.
Sometimes, we don't have options.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
(female)

gassone HB User

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I am very scared, mainly because my uncle (dad's brother) had the same surgery in December 2004, the surgery was a success but three days later, he passed away at the hospital. If it wasn't for that, I am sure we'd be pretty optimistic about the whole thing.

If my dad goes through with this, which I am tending to believe he will, the surgery will take place at Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Florida. Have any of you heard any good or bad things about this location?

My uncles's surgery was in Mercy Hospital in Miami, one place I would recommend all stay away from...

Also, I know that heart surgery is scary, but did my uncle just have bad luck? I mean, most people live to tell their stories, right???

Old 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Gassone,
Well I don't know the clinic in Weston, but my dad had his surgery in Leesburg FL. At the time, although I was really worried too, and couldn't afford to travel there (plus travel was limited at the time because of all the hurricanes that were hitting them) I just kept telling myself that Florida must have tons of experience with this since there a lot of retirees there. So they must do thousands of them a year, which means they have more experience on doing bypasses on older people than anywhere else.
If you know your fathers doctors name you can check his medical background with the Florida medical board. I did this with my father, I do it in my state with my doctors..just to see where they were educated, etc.
Just because your uncle had complications, and he didn't survive, does not mean that his brother will have the same outcome. I am sorry for your loss. I know this can add to the fears you and your father are having. Everyone is different. Even if they were twins, they would still be different. Your father is a relatively young man. All we can do at times like these is trust that all will go well and he will feel better soon.
My prayers are with you
Hellas

Old 08-11-2005, 02:34 AM   #6
(female)

gassone HB User

Hi Hellas,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and for taking the time to write. I guess we always worry about those we love. We live in Miami and although it's not hard to travel to Weston, the only thing that complicates things is that I am 30 weeks pregnant with my second child. Although my step mother will be by my father's side, it kills me that I cannot be there 24/7 because of my pregnancy and the toddler I have at home who cannot stand to be without me. I will definitely be there for the surgery that I think he may schedule for Sept 1st but not sure yet.

Can you tell me how I can check out the surgeon with the Florida Medical Board? Is this something I can do online/Internet? Please let me know as time is of essence.

Yes, my uncle's case was unfortunate and am hoping that you are right and my dad will be fine. I know that everyone must think this of their father, but mine is a very special man. I am 33 years old and can say that we have such a close relationship that we consistently speak to each other 7+ times a day and see each other often. In fact, in the 33 years of my life, I cannot recall even one time that my father has raised his voice at me or even argued with me. Everything has been so sweet and special that I feel that I need to protect him here the way he has always protected me. I will try to stay positive and keep my faith. I just really want him to hold his new grandson who will be born in October.

I am glad that your father is doing well. Was the recovery very long? My father is also worried about recovery as he loves to be active.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Eva

Old 08-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Eva, Yes you can check that out on line.
It is good that your father is active, that will make a big difference in his recovery.
My dad did quite well with the surgery, but spent a little time in rehab afterwards, which is normal. He's kind of feisty in his old age and just kept walking & walking so he could get the heck out of there fast! I don't even think he spent a week in rehab.
He went home and even refused to leave while the hurricane was right on top of them.
Boy did I yell at him for that! He lives in one of those retirement communities, where all the houses are just mobile homes. I almost had a nervous breakdown when he did that! But he breezed thru it and didn't even loose power or TV.
Please try to stay calm & relaxed. Being pregnant, it's important for you to take care of yourself and the little one, and stress isn't good. I will send up a prayer for your dad, too. What a wonderful relationship you two have. I bet he's an awesome grandpa too. Getting to see his new grandchild will give him even more incentive to get through this and back home as soon as possible.
God Bless
Hellas

Old 08-16-2005, 02:39 AM   #8
(female)

gassone HB User

Hello HELLASULES,

I still have not been able to find anything about the medical board online for Florida but I need to keep trying.

I am very glad that your father did quite well with the surgery. They are all feisty at some point so I can relate to that.

I thank you for your advice about staying calm and relaxed. I know that it's important, being pregnant and all, but it's still very hard at times. My father just officially scheduled his surgery for September 21 at the Clevland Clinic in Weston, it's just about 23 days before my due date. My husband thinks it's safe for me to be at home during the surgery, but I keep telling him that I will be worse if I have to wait by the phone for a call. I think I would be much better if I was there waiting for the outcome and knew imemdiately that he is ok.

Sometimes the curve balls that live throws at us are so hard to deal with. I know that others have been through worse that what I will be faced with, but once it hits you, it feels like the worse. I also hate that he has t o go through this. I wish I could go through it for him. I can't say that I am not scared but I know it's something he has to do and I am hoping that we can have a big celebration as he recovers.

Thank you for your prayers, your concern and your kind postindg and encouragement. It's nice to have someone to talk to who has been there and that has has a good experience.

All the best to you and your family,
Eva Marie

Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Eva,
I think it's the Florida Board of Medicine. I looked it up over a year ago, so it's been awhile and it was such a trying time then, I think I've tried to forget.
I know how you feel, and if you can be there for your father at the hospital I'm sure you will feel better, and he will too. Sitting by the phone waiting is even harder and more stressful. Plus you have to depend on someone else calling you, and wondering why the heck it's taking too long, or when are they going to call. It makes you way more stressed. So if you feel you are up to being there, and get the AOK from your obstetrician (very important!!!) then I think you'll feel better being there too. But, either way it's gong to be hard, and sure wish you and your dad didn't have to go down this road.
Wishing you all the best.
Hellas

Old 09-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Eva,
If you're still out there, just want you to know I was thinking of you and sending good thoughts & prayers your way. Hope your Dad is doing ok, and if still having surgery tomorrow, all will go perfectly.
Best wishes to you & your family.
Hellas

Closed Thread