It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

r2d22 HB User
ketosis - how long is healthy

I am on candida diet for 3 months. Last week I had a physical and there was 15ml ketones in my urine. I understand that the ketones are in low range, but I was wondering how long can one safely continue with ketones in urine. Any possible side effects?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User
Re: ketosis - how long is healthy

My ketones are higher than that and I was only doing the Candida diet for a couple of weeks. I am currently under the supervision of a Physican and I am still on a very low carb diet. I have had my blood sugar checked and I see the doctor several times a week and will be checked again. She said that the body has sugar in it all the time and doesn't believe you can kill off all Candida with just diet (at least that's my interpretation). If I were you and going to contiune on the diet I would have my blood sugar checked. At some point burning off all your body fat for energy will reach a point where it is no longer beneficial or healthy. But the only one who can really answer those questions is your physician. Because you're body chemistry will get out of balance and everyone has a different metabolic need for carbohydrates. I have given up on self-diagnosis. I had a complete blood work up last december and again this month. Just because you are in range doesn't mean you are healthy, but bloodwork will give your physician the complete story. It's my understanding (And I'm often wrong) you should have no ketones in your urine. Anyways I replied to your post because I just went over my bloodwork last week and this was one of the flags of chemical imbalance in my body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

And this as the God's of Plagerism smile brightly upon me:

Ketosis occurs when the amount of carbohydrate fuel- the fuel that is needed to run the body - drops below a critical level, forcing the body to turn first to protein and then to fat reserves to do the work carbohydrates normally do. When protein is deflected in this manner, it releases nitrogen into the blood stream, placing a burden on the kidneys as they try to excrete excessive urinary water due to sodium loss. When fat is likewise deflected, the breakup releases fatty acids, or ketones, into the bloodstream, further burdening the kidneys. If ketosis continues for long periods of time, serious damage to the liver and kidneys can occur, which is why most low-carbohydrate, or ketogenic diets recommend only short-term use, typically 14 days. Many nutritionists caution their patients-especially women in the early stages of pregnancy-against following them at all.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
(male)

r2d22 HB User

I had my complete blood count done, so thats where the ketosis number showed up. I then explained to my physician, but he kind of just waved off my candida self diagnosis. But he does believe that low carb diet is good and if it works for you, you can continue on it. The blood sugar I believe is in normal range, as otherwise the doc would have mentioned it while reviewing the results of annual physical. But one red flag was with thyroid hormone levels being high, suspected case of hypothyroid, but he wants to do another blood test only in 6 months. But I do feel cold sometimes when it is warm, so I am going easy on non-goitregenous foods

But now I am easing a bit on candida diet and including more carbs slowly, but of low glycemic variety.

Closed Thread