It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Question Vitex(Chaste Berrie)

Hello,
I was wondering what your thoughts are about Vitex as an alternative over Provera for Menstrual problems.I have DUB(Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding)and was told Vitex is great for treating such problems..I'm not going thru the change..I've been to the doctor several times,had blood work done and a D&C.Everything came back normal..I don't have Endo,Fibroids,Cancer,Pre-Cancer,Tumors,Polyps or anything that would cause this problem which has been an on again off again problem since 1998..before I had the D&C my Doctor wanted to try me on Depo-Provera shots as they stop some women's periods..it didn't work and he was giving me higher doses..from my recollections the only Hormones I have had tested are Prolactin and Thyroid..I was prescribed Provera 10 MG's to take QD the first 10 days of each month but I don't want to rely on a synthetic hormone continuesly..I wish I could find an alternative that is close to Provera because it stopped the bleeding..

Last edited by Lotus_Blossom; 09-12-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Re: Vitex(Chaste Berrie)

Do you know if your DUB occurs from anovulation or with regular ovulation? I can tell you that Vitex (Chastetree Berry) can have a balancing effect on "female" horomones, especially progestins. This is why it is highly recommended for post birthcontrol use; it encourages the regularity of the body's horomone induced cycles.

I am going to guess that the Provera is to thin down the uterine lining and prevent excess bleeding? If your DUB is anovulatory, then your ovaries may not be producing any progesterone (which allows overgrowth of the endometrium, a lot of excess bleeding). If it is ovulatory, then you may be producing progesterone longer than usual (which will cause the endometrium to breakdown erratically, causing a lot of spotting). Checking your progesterone levels every day of your cycle (or even right before/after the beginning of your period) should tell what is going on.

If you desire to not use conventional treatments, I strongly recommend you see a Nationally Board Certified Naturopathic Physician, thay have the same training as conventional MDs, but their foundations usually lie in treating the body whole to remedy illness. Many of them specialize in fertility, and may be able to provide you with some counsel of alternatives. I would think that unexplained uterine bleeding is not something you should try and treat on your own. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Re: Vitex(Chaste Berrie)

Mellowfish,
Here is my history with DUB..am telling you so hopefully you will have a better idea what took place before and after it started..seven months prior to the onset I had a Staph infection..I was in SEVERE and EXCRUCIATING pain for 3 months before I learned what was causing the pain..before finding out the DX and being admitted to hospital I was prescribed various medications for muscle spasms,pain medication and even Steriods..I didn't need any of them except the pain medicine..

I was in hospital several weeks on high powered broad spectrum IV Antibiotics..then IV for 1 month post discharge..after I completed the 1 month course of Antibiotics at home the Groshong cath became infected so I had to take a course of Cipro then had the Groshong removed..when it became infected I ran 104-105 temp and chilled hard..I could feel my heart beating in my head..

THEN I took Keflex for 6 weeks..not forgetting to mention the Rifadin and pain medication(IM and Oral)I took the entire time..while I had infection my SED(Sedimentation rate exceeded 100..should be 15)..my body was off kilter..I was also taking birth control Ortho TriCyclen 21 and Anti-Anxiety Medication..

Not long after finishing the IV Antibiotics(I still had the Groshong)my Doctor was hoping I could continue with it without problems until off ALL IV and Oral Antibiotics in case I needed more IV Medication..

Several weeks after my last dose of IV Antibiotics I moved in with my Grandmother..I was living at her place when the cath became infected..Grandmother was in ill health,falling,she was incontinent with urine and bowels..was also having TIA's..she needed someone and I felt I had to care for her..she took Insulin and oral Diabetes medication among multiple other medications..

As much as I loved her(still love her)it got stressy staying with her 24/7..I wasn't getting enough rest..eating properly..everytime she woke I had to see about her and my family(cousins)would not help me..Grandmother could be a bossy demanding person..

In March 1998 when the bleeding started I moved 2-2 1/2 hours away and stayed with an Aunt for 1 month until she had me about ready to pull my hair out..she was dishing out alot of S$&t..another bossy..demanding..controlling individual..

I found an apartment not far from where she was living near family from my biological Mother's side..I lived there for 5 months..While I lived away my family decided the best option for my Grandmother was to place her in the nursing home..that was a hard decision to make..so that placed stress on me..so I moved back where I currently live..

a few months of moving back I moved away again only to another place..I started back to college also..I had barely completed my first term when I suddenly lost my Sister..I stayed the entire month with my parents after she died but had to leave to go back to begin summer school which was 5 days a week..

I've also had a relationship that ended..another relationship that has been rocky off and on the entire time(I can't even begin to describe)..financial problems..I completed my Associate of Arts degree and began my Bachelor's..I've lost 5 family members(3 very close and dear to me)the last 6 years..When my Step-Mother died my Dad's behavior was out of control..he was demanding,controlling,bossy and downright nasty towards me..some of the stuff he was doing was just to much for me..

I have been evaulated by Gyne's..had a D&C with no abnormalities..as long as I take Provera I don't bleed but I don't wish to take a Synthetic Hormone when there is a more natural approach..Provera isn't healing the underlying problem..it only masks it for awhile..Also I have Panic Disorder,Anxiety and all the nice things that come with it.

So this pretty much sums up what has happened before and after..

Closed Thread