It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
Healthy to eat soy?

I was wondering what people's opinions are on eating soy? Recently, I've heard how eating soy can be bad for a person's thyroid? I've tried some soy based products such as MorningStar Farms and Boca non-meat Chik'n patties. I liked both brands. Though, I noticed that the MorningStar Farms brand uses artifical flavorings, but I don't think the Boca brand does.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Healthy to eat soy?

there is a lot of controversy about the benefits or drawbacks of soy. TCM practioners usually do not recommend it. It is very hard to digest, particularly the whey by-product (soy milk). soy is a relatively "new" food when compared to other things like rice or wheat that have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years.

whether or not the eat soy can only be determined by a careful examination of one's digestive habits. soy is not recommended for me. i have not met anyone who has gone through this dietary analysis (TCM again) where it has been recommended. one must also remember that soy products have also been a "trend" in the marketplace and that its benefits have been greatly exaggerated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

my motto is....SAY NO TO SAY....THAT STUFF'LL KILL YA!

men shouldn't take it because they can develop breasts

women shouldn't take it because it can promote breast cancer.....if you're suseptible, it will make it flourish!

Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

You will find a full range of opinions all over the internet. If you decide there is some benefit to eating soy, bear in mind that even the anti-soy people concede that fermentation counters most of the negative effects. In which case, fermented forms of soy, such as tempeh and miso, are okay.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Soy really messes with my hormones. I don't think most people should eat a lot of it. I know some women's hormones benefit from it, but even then I think large quantities are dangerous.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Men can develop breasts by eating soy?

I thought soy would be healthier to eat than things such as chicken and beef? And it's supposed to have a good amount of protein in it.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
(female)

jjules HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
Men can develop breasts by eating soy?

I thought soy would be healthier to eat than things such as chicken and beef? And it's supposed to have a good amount of protein in it.
Ya know I am really kinda confused about the soy issue, I always keep hearing all the benefits from soy but then ten years down the road we will probaly hear this causes some kind of dreaded cancer or some other health related topic! ??????? Who knows about anything we put in ourselves these days! Take care Jules

Old 10-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Soy does mess with estrogen--- I suggest you do a search and decide for yourself--

I don't eat it and have concluded--- it is not as healthy for you as the manufacturers say!!!

Old 10-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
(female)

girlcat36 HB User

I started drinking soy shakes as an alternative protein source ( I am vegetarian) to my surprise I found that the soy regulated my out-of-control periods and virtually banished my PMS. I felt sooo much better. I asked my GYN if the soy was safe and he said yes it was good for me. I feel so much better on it that I am not ready to give it up. I did stop taking it twice and it was back to PMS and heavy periods!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #10

tizimare HB User

Soy is a primary staple in Japan where strokes, heart attacks, obesity, cancer deaths aren't anywhere near as high as in the Western world....and (believe it or not!) their women do NOT have horrid menopausal symptoms as do women of the Western world.

Men do not grow breasts. Whomever said so needs to do their research. Soy has many benefits for men, too, including prostate health.

No wonder I don't frequent these boards anymore. There are no INFORMED answers here.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
(female)

DomNakita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz
my motto is....SAY NO TO SAY....THAT STUFF'LL KILL YA!

men shouldn't take it because they can develop breasts

women shouldn't take it because it can promote breast cancer.....if you're suseptible, it will make it flourish!
Rose,

Where do you get this information?

I take a soy based hormone supliment and it works great for me. But I have a huge family history of breast cancer so I'm very interested in where this info came from and following up on it.
--
DomNakita

Old 11-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

you better check with the Japanese they are not eaters of soy beans but soy that is a product of fish--

Check it out!!

Old 11-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I might add that soy bean products cause me to have enlarged breasts. I even have had to have 2 mammograms! Not only that both breasts have not returned to normal after stopping drinking soy in 1999.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

DomNakita - There is a ton of info on the internet. Do a search on Health risks of Soy, health problems with soy, or something like that.....you will find a lot of stuff.
If you are pre-disposed to breast cancer, I urge you to stay away from the stuff!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #15
(female)

Pig Lover HB User

What I DO know is that soy, canola and corn are three of the most genetically modified foods, which means basically that the seeds of such were created in a laboratory where the scientists split cells and cross bred all sorts of plant DNA to create something like a Frankenstein seed that was supposed to be resistant to certain diseases and produce higher yields. What happened was the corn, canola (whatever that really is) and soy caused the weeds growing around it to become resistant to pesticides. So the farmers had to spray more DEADLY pesticides to kill the weeds which were absorbed by the corn and soy and are sitting on your dinner table right now. If you want to eat soy, your best bet is to eat organic soy products. Check all food labels in the food you eat because if it contains any bi-products of these foods like syrup, starch, oil, it most likely came from these genetically modified crops. It's a scary world out there that seems to be getting scarier and diseases are becoming resistant to antibiotics. And I'm rambling again....... organic is better in my opinion.

Closed Thread