It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Question Natural Expectorant

Hello,
I have had a Cough off and on for at least 3 months that I can't shake..at times my chest feels tight,I feel SOB and it's hard to cough Phlegm up..was wondering if there is a natural Expectorant to help loosen.I've been drinking Hot Water and Cayenne Pepper,drinking Water,Hot Tea,taking Vitamin C and eating Garlic but it doesn't seem to be working much.

Last edited by Lotus_Blossom; 11-02-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: Natural Expectorant

liquorice is the best bet for that purpose. it acts as an expectorant to clear the phlegm but also acts to strengthen the immune system and has an antiviral action. just out of interest, you mentioned you had eaten garlic, was that cooked or raw garlic? cooking garlic will destroy some of the active ingredients in the garlic, such allicin, rendering the decongestant action less effective. either eat it raw or buy garlic oil, avoiding odourless garlic (it is useful, but again the process of making the garlic odourless can damage the volitile active ingredients.)

alex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Is there a liquorice that is ok to take if you have high blood pressure? I have lung issues and would probably benefit from liquorice, but my blood pressure is a normal high and don't want to risk having it go up more.
Cindy

Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) It is an antioxidant. There are many studies that show that it thins mucus and even reduces asthma symptoms. In my experience, it works almost as well as the medicine Mucinex.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Ratboy,
Are you referring to Licorice Candy or a Tea,Tincture,Powder or Supplement?I never eat cooked Garlic..eat raw only..

Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Sneezydiva(I just love your name )where can I find the N-Acetyl Cysteine(NAC)?Do you think my HFS would carry it or can I order it only online?And what are other natural Antibiotics besides Garlic,Colloidal Silver and Golden Seal?

Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Howitt,
Licorice contains the Chemical Glycyrrhetinic.It affects the Hormones which help regulate Blood Pressure so I would try something that wouldn't affect your BP.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi
You can buy de-glycinhrizated licorice (DGL) (probably not the right spelling) from health food shops. It has the bad part of licorice removed. Noone should eat normal sweet licorice for any period of time as it can cause severe problems. DGl is really good for digestive problems also, its really good with ulcers, gastritis, acid reflux. have a search on google, theres absolutely loads about it.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:00 AM   #9
(male)

liverock HB User

If none of the previous recommendations work you might be advised to try inhaled, nebulised glutathione. You can get glutathione made up at a compounding chemist, who will probably be able to provide the nebuliser as well.

Dosage is usually120mg-200mg twice daily. Each days supply should be prepared in its own seperate phial as once opened glutathione loses its strength.

Once clear try strengthening the lungs with MSM and Vitamin A.

Hope this helps

Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Liverock,
Glutathinone was recommended but I haven't had the extra $$$ to purchase.Was told to mix it with Broncho Saline Solution.What is MSM?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Blossom
Sneezydiva(I just love your name )where can I find the N-Acetyl Cysteine(NAC)?Do you think my HFS would carry it or can I order it only online?And what are other natural Antibiotics besides Garlic,Colloidal Silver and Golden Seal?

Sorry, it has taken so long to reply, but NAC can be found in most vitamin stores. I get mine at Vitamin World. It is also a good supplement to help improve liver function. It has anti-oxidant properties, not anti-bacterial.

But if you need a natural antibiotic, grapefruit seed extract and caprylic acid (coconut oil) are my facorites. Oil of Oregeno is also effective, though it sometimes gives me oregeno burps, so it is not a favorite.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:26 AM   #12
(male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Blossom
Liverock,
Glutathinone was recommended but I haven't had the extra $$$ to purchase.Was told to mix it with Broncho Saline Solution.What is MSM?
Sorry for the delay in replying. MSM is methylsulfonylmethane, a type of organic sulphur and will help to strenthen your lungs and remove inflammation.
Try the 1,000mg size. You can order over the net there are plenty of suppliers.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Have you personally had success with ***? I have some lung issues and really want something that DOES work!

Old 12-06-2005, 09:05 AM   #14
(male)

liverock HB User

Howitt44

I have only used MSM for small periods of time for bronchitis, but people have used it for asthma, emphysema and hay fever usually complemented with vitamin C. It appears to act as an anti-inflammatory within the lungs.

Google MSM+asthma for more info.

Be Well.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesss
Hi
You can buy de-glycinhrizated licorice (DGL) (probably not the right spelling) from health food shops. It has the bad part of licorice removed. Noone should eat normal sweet licorice for any period of time as it can cause severe problems. DGl is really good for digestive problems also, its really good with ulcers, gastritis, acid reflux. have a search on google, theres absolutely loads about it.

only problem is that that form of liquorice isn't as effective as an exporant. the element that can cause high blood pressure also happens to be one of the main active ingredients in the herb. remove it and alot of the madicinal value is lost. for someone who has blood pressure issues then an alternaive (as suggested) to liquorice is the best option.

alex.

Closed Thread