It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 120
nisam78 HB User
fish oil and antidepressants

Hi all!
I have been reading the fish oil thread. I am wondering if anyone knows if fish oil will interfere with my anxiety medication (effexor).
I also have a hiatal hernia. Is Fish oil gentle on your stomach?

Thanks!

 
Old 12-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 300
gort HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Nisam, fish oil will not interfere with meds. It is safe. Some of the depression study groups used it along with whatever anti-depressant the patient was taking. My doctor put me on Omega Joy while taking Wellbutrin and seemed to make the med work better. I eventually tapered off Wellbutrin because the Omega Joy worked better to regulate my mood. You won't have stomach problems as long as you buy enteric coated capsules. Look for a formulation with a lot more EPA essential fat than DHA. Studies confirmed DHA to be ineffective at boosting seratonin, and that it interfered with EPA. The studies with the best results used pure EPA and no DHA. Those patients felt better in a week, and improved even more after a month of straight EPA and reported less social phobia after a month as well. This will be hard to find since Omega Joy by Genuine Health is the only fish oil in North America to have close to pure EPA with only 25mg of DHA.

Good luck.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-31-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Mary's University College, Twickenham
Posts: 655
ratboy83 HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
Nisam, fish oil will not interfere with meds. It is safe. Some of the depression study groups used it along with whatever anti-depressant the patient was taking. My doctor put me on Omega Joy while taking Wellbutrin and seemed to make the med work better. I eventually tapered off Wellbutrin because the Omega Joy worked better to regulate my mood. You won't have stomach problems as long as you buy enteric coated capsules. Look for a formulation with a lot more EPA essential fat than DHA. Studies confirmed DHA to be ineffective at boosting seratonin, and that it interfered with EPA. The studies with the best results used pure EPA and no DHA. Those patients felt better in a week, and improved even more after a month of straight EPA and reported less social phobia after a month as well. This will be hard to find since Omega Joy by Genuine Health is the only fish oil in North America to have close to pure EPA with only 25mg of DHA.

Good luck.
this is very interesting as i always believed that the DHA was the important element of the fish oil for brain functioning. DHA is found in the fattyt sheaths around brain cells and helps with the absorption of neurotransmitters in the brain and all the "brain food" orientated supplements we sell have a strong emphasise on the DHA element. eg. halibo orange contains a large proportion of DHA but a small amount of EPA. i always thought that the DHA was the important aspect, and seemingly so do most of the producers of these supplements. i'm very confused.

 
Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 173
r0cky HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

you're correct, DHA is the important component for the mood/brain.

 
Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 53
noto HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Alright, I highly suspected I have ADD without the H even without offically diagonised. I had tried eating high in DHA low in EPA product and also the 400:200 EPAHA product. End result, only the high in DHA product enables me to have a clearer state of mind and speak much clearer with precise. It is just like a miracle stuff for me. The ratio 400:200 doesn't help me and revert me back to the old self... Tried of days and it still the same.
A very interesting research found on high in EPA low in DHA helps in the repair of brain and ADD.

 
Old 12-31-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 173
r0cky HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Apparently EPA is good for depression, while DHA is good for memory/mental clarity.

Confusing stuff here!

 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 53
noto HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

so for ADD people, it is better to take in higher DHA than EPA?

 
Old 01-01-2006, 04:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,566
6foot3 HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
The studies with the best results used pure EPA and no DHA.

Good luck.
I have research the Omega Oils (3 & 6) for yrs and have never found any studies that present this.However please tell us where you heard/seen these so we can research this. Thanks !!!!
__________________
To surpass the 120 yr Life Span !!!!

 
Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 300
gort HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
I have research the Omega Oils (3 & 6) for yrs and have never found any studies that present this.However please tell us where you heard/seen these so we can research this. Thanks !!!!
I have asked the moderators if I may post the non-commercial research link.

If I don't end up with getting permission, a book compiling the studies was written by Dr. Andrew Stoll, called The Omega 3 Connection.

I'll post the link asap if I get the go ahead.

 
Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,566
6foot3 HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
I have asked the moderators if I may post the non-commercial research link.

If I don't end up with getting permission, a book compiling the studies was written by Dr. Andrew Stoll, called The Omega 3 Connection.

I'll post the link asap if I get the go ahead.
Thanks gort. I found some book review sites on this book that stated what you said .Although there's numerous research of the importance of DHA for positive health benefits (Brain and Myelin Sheath) you stated the research that i asked for. thanks again..
__________________
To surpass the 120 yr Life Span !!!!

 
Old 01-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Charleston
Posts: 5,550
Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

You can go to the top of this page and do a Google --WEB search for ---EPA for depression--- and find alot of articles to read supporting taking EPA for depression.

 
Old 01-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 300
gort HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

For all those curious about EPA and depression:

Malcolm Peet, MB, ChB, FRCPsych; David F. Horrobin, DPhil, BM, BCh


Archive Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:913-919.

Background In depressed patients, low blood levels of eicosapentaenoic acid are seen. We tested the antidepressive effect of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate in these patients.

Methods We included 70 patients with persistant depression despite ongoing treatment with an adequate dose of a standard antidepressant. Patients were randomized on a double-blind basis to placebo or ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at dosages of 1, 2, or 4 g/d for 12 weeks in addition to unchanged background medication. Patients underwent assessment using the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale, and the Beck Depression Inventory.

Results Forty-six (88%) of 52 patients receiving ethyl-eicosapentaenoate and 14 (78%) of 18 patients receiving placebo completed the 12-week study with no serious adverse events. The 1-g/d group showed a significantly better outcome than the placebo group on all 3 rating scales. In the intention-to-treat group, 5 (29%) of 17 patients receiving placebo and 9 (53%) of 17 patients receiving 1 g/d of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate achieved a 50% reduction on the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale score. In the per-protocol group, the corresponding figures were 3 (25%) of 12 patients for placebo and 9 (69%) of 13 patients for the 1-g/d group. The 2-g/d group showed little evidence of efficacy, whereas the 4-g/d group showed nonsignificant trends toward improvement. All of the individual items on all 3 rating scales improved with the 1-g/d dosage of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate vs placebo, with strong beneficial effects on items rating depression, anxiety, sleep, lassitude, libido, and suicidality.

Conclusion Treatment with ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at a dosage of 1 g/d was effective in treating depression in patients who remained depressed despite adequate standard therapy.


From the Swallownest Court Hospital, Sheffield, England (Dr Peet); and Laxdale Research, Ltd, Stirling, Scotland (Dr Horrobin).

 
Old 01-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 173
r0cky HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

You'll be very proud of me - last night I searched the web and ended up buying "o3mega +joy" with high levels of EPA and very low levels of DHA ... (I think 1000mg of EPA and 50mg of DHA).

Can't wait to try it! Hopefully it'll be better than the rancid fish oil I'm taking now which actually seems to depress me if I take much.

 
Old 01-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St Mary's University College, Twickenham
Posts: 655
ratboy83 HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
For all those curious about EPA and depression:

Malcolm Peet, MB, ChB, FRCPsych; David F. Horrobin, DPhil, BM, BCh


Archive Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:913-919.

Background In depressed patients, low blood levels of eicosapentaenoic acid are seen. We tested the antidepressive effect of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate in these patients.

Methods We included 70 patients with persistant depression despite ongoing treatment with an adequate dose of a standard antidepressant. Patients were randomized on a double-blind basis to placebo or ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at dosages of 1, 2, or 4 g/d for 12 weeks in addition to unchanged background medication. Patients underwent assessment using the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale, and the Beck Depression Inventory.

Results Forty-six (88%) of 52 patients receiving ethyl-eicosapentaenoate and 14 (78%) of 18 patients receiving placebo completed the 12-week study with no serious adverse events. The 1-g/d group showed a significantly better outcome than the placebo group on all 3 rating scales. In the intention-to-treat group, 5 (29%) of 17 patients receiving placebo and 9 (53%) of 17 patients receiving 1 g/d of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate achieved a 50% reduction on the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale score. In the per-protocol group, the corresponding figures were 3 (25%) of 12 patients for placebo and 9 (69%) of 13 patients for the 1-g/d group. The 2-g/d group showed little evidence of efficacy, whereas the 4-g/d group showed nonsignificant trends toward improvement. All of the individual items on all 3 rating scales improved with the 1-g/d dosage of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate vs placebo, with strong beneficial effects on items rating depression, anxiety, sleep, lassitude, libido, and suicidality.

Conclusion Treatment with ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at a dosage of 1 g/d was effective in treating depression in patients who remained depressed despite adequate standard therapy.


From the Swallownest Court Hospital, Sheffield, England (Dr Peet); and Laxdale Research, Ltd, Stirling, Scotland (Dr Horrobin).
so lets get this straight, its better to take only 1gram of fish oil day than 4grams. 4 grams happens to be what i take a day as i have depression so thought i would need the higher dose sugested on the bottle, but does this mean i'll get more joy out of only 1 gram?

alex.

 
Old 01-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 300
gort HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
so lets get this straight, its better to take only 1gram of fish oil day than 4grams. 4 grams happens to be what i take a day as i have depression so thought i would need the higher dose sugested on the bottle, but does this mean i'll get more joy out of only 1 gram?

alex.
Well, it depends on how much EPA is in each capsule. The dosage in studies was 1000mg of straight EPA, not 1000mg of fish oil. Check the formulation on the back of the bottle. It should give the breakdown of how much EPA and DHA it contains. 1000mg of fish oil might only contain 200mg of EPA, in which case it would not achieve an antidepressant effect. You would have to take enough capsules to add up to 1000mg of EPA.

Confusing? Yes. Alt medicine tends to be since it's not regulated. If your health store sells O3mega Joy by Genuine Health, it's the easiest way to get the right amount.

All the best.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Confused about type of Omega-3 or fish oil to take rachae1 Vitamins & Supplements 9 09-02-2011 05:56 AM
fish oil and antidepressants noto Alternative Medicine 47 10-15-2009 02:41 PM
OMG i just dicovered Omega-3 fish oil!!!, the best thing since sliced bread!!! tc4101 Acne 62 06-03-2007 10:51 AM
Omega 3 Fish Oil,How much? How long? Mattm4000 Vitamins & Supplements 1 02-14-2006 12:43 PM
confused by fish oil brands r0cky Alternative Medicine 6 01-02-2006 02:03 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Aspirin
Diflucan
Effexor Lexapro
Paxil
  Potassium
Prozac
Tylenol
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jenj770 (3), Harry (2), anneh (2), Machaon (2), JohnR41 (2), richrf (2), rhody (2), rebecca43 (2), wackytoposthere (2), FarmGirl31 (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (832), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!