It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

nisam78 HB User
fish oil and antidepressants

Hi all!
I have been reading the fish oil thread. I am wondering if anyone knows if fish oil will interfere with my anxiety medication (effexor).
I also have a hiatal hernia. Is Fish oil gentle on your stomach?

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

Nisam, fish oil will not interfere with meds. It is safe. Some of the depression study groups used it along with whatever anti-depressant the patient was taking. My doctor put me on Omega Joy while taking Wellbutrin and seemed to make the med work better. I eventually tapered off Wellbutrin because the Omega Joy worked better to regulate my mood. You won't have stomach problems as long as you buy enteric coated capsules. Look for a formulation with a lot more EPA essential fat than DHA. Studies confirmed DHA to be ineffective at boosting seratonin, and that it interfered with EPA. The studies with the best results used pure EPA and no DHA. Those patients felt better in a week, and improved even more after a month of straight EPA and reported less social phobia after a month as well. This will be hard to find since Omega Joy by Genuine Health is the only fish oil in North America to have close to pure EPA with only 25mg of DHA.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
Nisam, fish oil will not interfere with meds. It is safe. Some of the depression study groups used it along with whatever anti-depressant the patient was taking. My doctor put me on Omega Joy while taking Wellbutrin and seemed to make the med work better. I eventually tapered off Wellbutrin because the Omega Joy worked better to regulate my mood. You won't have stomach problems as long as you buy enteric coated capsules. Look for a formulation with a lot more EPA essential fat than DHA. Studies confirmed DHA to be ineffective at boosting seratonin, and that it interfered with EPA. The studies with the best results used pure EPA and no DHA. Those patients felt better in a week, and improved even more after a month of straight EPA and reported less social phobia after a month as well. This will be hard to find since Omega Joy by Genuine Health is the only fish oil in North America to have close to pure EPA with only 25mg of DHA.

Good luck.
this is very interesting as i always believed that the DHA was the important element of the fish oil for brain functioning. DHA is found in the fattyt sheaths around brain cells and helps with the absorption of neurotransmitters in the brain and all the "brain food" orientated supplements we sell have a strong emphasise on the DHA element. eg. halibo orange contains a large proportion of DHA but a small amount of EPA. i always thought that the DHA was the important aspect, and seemingly so do most of the producers of these supplements. i'm very confused.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
(female)

r0cky HB User

you're correct, DHA is the important component for the mood/brain.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
(male)

noto HB User

Alright, I highly suspected I have ADD without the H even without offically diagonised. I had tried eating high in DHA low in EPA product and also the 400:200 EPAHA product. End result, only the high in DHA product enables me to have a clearer state of mind and speak much clearer with precise. It is just like a miracle stuff for me. The ratio 400:200 doesn't help me and revert me back to the old self... Tried of days and it still the same.
A very interesting research found on high in EPA low in DHA helps in the repair of brain and ADD.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
(female)

r0cky HB User

Apparently EPA is good for depression, while DHA is good for memory/mental clarity.

Confusing stuff here!

Old 01-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
(male)

noto HB User

so for ADD people, it is better to take in higher DHA than EPA?

Old 01-01-2006, 04:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
The studies with the best results used pure EPA and no DHA.

Good luck.
I have research the Omega Oils (3 & 6) for yrs and have never found any studies that present this.However please tell us where you heard/seen these so we can research this. Thanks !!!!

Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
I have research the Omega Oils (3 & 6) for yrs and have never found any studies that present this.However please tell us where you heard/seen these so we can research this. Thanks !!!!
I have asked the moderators if I may post the non-commercial research link.

If I don't end up with getting permission, a book compiling the studies was written by Dr. Andrew Stoll, called The Omega 3 Connection.

I'll post the link asap if I get the go ahead.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
I have asked the moderators if I may post the non-commercial research link.

If I don't end up with getting permission, a book compiling the studies was written by Dr. Andrew Stoll, called The Omega 3 Connection.

I'll post the link asap if I get the go ahead.
Thanks gort. I found some book review sites on this book that stated what you said .Although there's numerous research of the importance of DHA for positive health benefits (Brain and Myelin Sheath) you stated the research that i asked for. thanks again..

Old 01-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

You can go to the top of this page and do a Google --WEB search for ---EPA for depression--- and find alot of articles to read supporting taking EPA for depression.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

For all those curious about EPA and depression:

Malcolm Peet, MB, ChB, FRCPsych; David F. Horrobin, DPhil, BM, BCh

Archive Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:913-919.

Background In depressed patients, low blood levels of eicosapentaenoic acid are seen. We tested the antidepressive effect of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate in these patients.

Methods We included 70 patients with persistant depression despite ongoing treatment with an adequate dose of a standard antidepressant. Patients were randomized on a double-blind basis to placebo or ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at dosages of 1, 2, or 4 g/d for 12 weeks in addition to unchanged background medication. Patients underwent assessment using the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale, and the Beck Depression Inventory.

Results Forty-six (88%) of 52 patients receiving ethyl-eicosapentaenoate and 14 (78%) of 18 patients receiving placebo completed the 12-week study with no serious adverse events. The 1-g/d group showed a significantly better outcome than the placebo group on all 3 rating scales. In the intention-to-treat group, 5 (29%) of 17 patients receiving placebo and 9 (53%) of 17 patients receiving 1 g/d of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate achieved a 50% reduction on the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale score. In the per-protocol group, the corresponding figures were 3 (25%) of 12 patients for placebo and 9 (69%) of 13 patients for the 1-g/d group. The 2-g/d group showed little evidence of efficacy, whereas the 4-g/d group showed nonsignificant trends toward improvement. All of the individual items on all 3 rating scales improved with the 1-g/d dosage of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate vs placebo, with strong beneficial effects on items rating depression, anxiety, sleep, lassitude, libido, and suicidality.

Conclusion Treatment with ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at a dosage of 1 g/d was effective in treating depression in patients who remained depressed despite adequate standard therapy.

From the Swallownest Court Hospital, Sheffield, England (Dr Peet); and Laxdale Research, Ltd, Stirling, Scotland (Dr Horrobin).

Old 01-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
(female)

r0cky HB User

You'll be very proud of me - last night I searched the web and ended up buying "o3mega +joy" with high levels of EPA and very low levels of DHA ... (I think 1000mg of EPA and 50mg of DHA).

Can't wait to try it! Hopefully it'll be better than the rancid fish oil I'm taking now which actually seems to depress me if I take much.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
For all those curious about EPA and depression:

Malcolm Peet, MB, ChB, FRCPsych; David F. Horrobin, DPhil, BM, BCh

Archive Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:913-919.

Background In depressed patients, low blood levels of eicosapentaenoic acid are seen. We tested the antidepressive effect of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate in these patients.

Methods We included 70 patients with persistant depression despite ongoing treatment with an adequate dose of a standard antidepressant. Patients were randomized on a double-blind basis to placebo or ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at dosages of 1, 2, or 4 g/d for 12 weeks in addition to unchanged background medication. Patients underwent assessment using the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale, and the Beck Depression Inventory.

Results Forty-six (88%) of 52 patients receiving ethyl-eicosapentaenoate and 14 (78%) of 18 patients receiving placebo completed the 12-week study with no serious adverse events. The 1-g/d group showed a significantly better outcome than the placebo group on all 3 rating scales. In the intention-to-treat group, 5 (29%) of 17 patients receiving placebo and 9 (53%) of 17 patients receiving 1 g/d of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate achieved a 50% reduction on the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale score. In the per-protocol group, the corresponding figures were 3 (25%) of 12 patients for placebo and 9 (69%) of 13 patients for the 1-g/d group. The 2-g/d group showed little evidence of efficacy, whereas the 4-g/d group showed nonsignificant trends toward improvement. All of the individual items on all 3 rating scales improved with the 1-g/d dosage of ethyl-eicosapentaenoate vs placebo, with strong beneficial effects on items rating depression, anxiety, sleep, lassitude, libido, and suicidality.

Conclusion Treatment with ethyl-eicosapentaenoate at a dosage of 1 g/d was effective in treating depression in patients who remained depressed despite adequate standard therapy.

From the Swallownest Court Hospital, Sheffield, England (Dr Peet); and Laxdale Research, Ltd, Stirling, Scotland (Dr Horrobin).
so lets get this straight, its better to take only 1gram of fish oil day than 4grams. 4 grams happens to be what i take a day as i have depression so thought i would need the higher dose sugested on the bottle, but does this mean i'll get more joy out of only 1 gram?

alex.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
so lets get this straight, its better to take only 1gram of fish oil day than 4grams. 4 grams happens to be what i take a day as i have depression so thought i would need the higher dose sugested on the bottle, but does this mean i'll get more joy out of only 1 gram?

alex.
Well, it depends on how much EPA is in each capsule. The dosage in studies was 1000mg of straight EPA, not 1000mg of fish oil. Check the formulation on the back of the bottle. It should give the breakdown of how much EPA and DHA it contains. 1000mg of fish oil might only contain 200mg of EPA, in which case it would not achieve an antidepressant effect. You would have to take enough capsules to add up to 1000mg of EPA.

Confusing? Yes. Alt medicine tends to be since it's not regulated. If your health store sells O3mega Joy by Genuine Health, it's the easiest way to get the right amount.

All the best.

Closed Thread