It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

r0cky HB User
confused by fish oil brands

What brands do you all take? I have heard good things about Nordic Naturals, but they don't have any products with high EPA and low DHA. I have also read a little about "o3mega +Joy" from some company named Genuine Health which claims to be the only EPA concentrate formula available in the US which was developed by some guy named Dr. Logan (who ran some tests regarding EPA's effect on depression).

The brand I am currently taking is Natural Made, but it tastes and smells fishy, and doesn't have a very high EPA content.

(I'm trying to get high EPA and low DHA because that's supposedly the best for help with depression.)

Anyway, I've seen so many brands mentioned, so certainly some of you have had good experiences with some and not-so-great experiences with others?

Old 12-31-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
(male)

HRH HB User
Re: confused by fish oil brands

I use Carlson brand-- Super Omega Fish Oil. I think Carlson is a good manufacturer of all fish oils.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

[QUOTE=r0cky]What brands do you all take? I have heard good things about Nordic Naturals, but they don't have any products with high EPA and low DHA. I have also read a little about "o3mega +Joy" from some company named Genuine Health which claims to be the only EPA concentrate formula available in the US which was developed by some guy named Dr. Logan (who ran some tests regarding EPA's effect on depression).

My doctor wrote on a prescription paper the name of Omega Joy for me, saying that it was the only brand in North America with the high dose of EPA used in the studies. But I didn't remember the name when I was at the store. Even though I had the script in my pocket, I forgot to look at it. I was pretty spacey back then, still on Wellbutrin, and not hearing everything clearly in the doctor's office. All I kept repeating in my mind was that he said 500mg of EPA and take 2 a day, so I bought Omega Extra Strength by the same company because it had 450mg EPA, and 250mg DHA. I thought that was as close as I could get to what the doctor recommended, and that he must have been mistaken about the amount. When I saw him 3 weeks later, he asked how I felt on the fish oil. I said tired and heavy headed, and he asked which one I bought. He said "Oh no, that's the wrong one. I said Omega Joy with 500mg EPA and hardly any DHA." I took the prescription out of my purse, and couldn't believe I got the wrong one. That day I bought the Omega Joy, and took 2 a day to get the 1000mg of EPA. Within a week, I could tell how much of a difference the correct formulation made. I didn't feel like my head was in a vice anymore.

I see in your other post that you ordered some O3mega+ Joy from the website. I hope it gets delivered quick. Let me know if you notice the difference I did compared to other formulas.
Cheers.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User

[QUOTE=gort]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0cky
What brands do you all take? I have heard good things about Nordic Naturals, but they don't have any products with high EPA and low DHA. I have also read a little about "o3mega +Joy" from some company named Genuine Health which claims to be the only EPA concentrate formula available in the US which was developed by some guy named Dr. Logan (who ran some tests regarding EPA's effect on depression).

My doctor wrote on a prescription paper the name of Omega Joy for me, saying that it was the only brand in North America with the high dose of EPA used in the studies. But I didn't remember the name when I was at the store. Even though I had the script in my pocket, I forgot to look at it. I was pretty spacey back then, still on Wellbutrin, and not hearing everything clearly in the doctor's office. All I kept repeating in my mind was that he said 500mg of EPA and take 2 a day, so I bought Omega Extra Strength by the same company because it had 450mg EPA, and 250mg DHA. I thought that was as close as I could get to what the doctor recommended, and that he must have been mistaken about the amount. When I saw him 3 weeks later, he asked how I felt on the fish oil. I said tired and heavy headed, and he asked which one I bought. He said "Oh no, that's the wrong one. I said Omega Joy with 500mg EPA and hardly any DHA." I took the prescription out of my purse, and couldn't believe I got the wrong one. That day I bought the Omega Joy, and took 2 a day to get the 1000mg of EPA. Within a week, I could tell how much of a difference the correct formulation made. I didn't feel like my head was in a vice anymore.

I see in your other post that you ordered some O3mega+ Joy from the website. I hope it gets delivered quick. Let me know if you notice the difference I did compared to other formulas.
Cheers.
(((Gort)))

I purchased Fish Body Oils 1000mg from GNC. Each capsule contains the follows:

EPA 180MG
DHA 120MG

The direction states to take 1-2 per day. Since I will take one in the morning and one in the evening, I will be getting 360mg of EPA and 240mg of DHA per day. I am not sure why the label states 1000mg though. Do you know?

Thanks,
Zoloftman

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 01-02-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

1000m of fish oil in the capsules probably.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
(female)

r0cky HB User

zoloftman,

I'm sure Gort will reply too, but I just wanted to let you know that if you suffer from depression, (which I'm guessing you do due to your name) then the high amount of EPA in the GNC pills may interfere with the effect of the DHA. Remember, for depression, we want high DHA levels and low EPA.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

[QUOTE=ZoloftMan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gort

(((Gort)))

I purchased Fish Body Oils 1000mg from GNC. Each capsule contains the follows:

EPA 180MG
DHA 120MG

The direction states to take 1-2 per day. Since I will take one in the morning and one in the evening, I will be getting 360mg of EPA and 240mg of DHA per day. I am not sure why the label states 1000mg though. Do you know?

Thanks,
Zoloftman
This is because some types of fish contain more EPA than others. For example, sardines are high in EPA, tuna is very low in EPA, with more DHA. So the amount of EPA and DHA in the capsule will depend on what types of fish they extract the oil from. Cod liver oil is not a good source of EPA or DHA, only about 10% fatty acid content.

The total quantity of fish oil in the capsule is irrelevant, but the amount of EPA in that capsule is critical to its antidepressant activity. DHA has no antidepressant action according to the studies, and was found to interfere with EPA. ( Our body converts EPA into DHA as required. ) The magic number was 1000mg of pure EPA, without DHA. That was the group that had the biggest improvement/remission of depression. Attention Deficit benefits from DHA, but Depression patients benefit from EPA, and it is not known why DHA interferes, but the studies came to that conclusion.

According to my doc, Omega + Joy by Genuine Health (formerly Greens +) is indeed the only formula in North America that comes close to pure EPA. (500mg EPA, 25mg DHA--2 caps a day for antidepr. dose). I eat salmon and sardines several times a week as well, now, but my "medication" is Omega Joy.

I pasted the results of the study using 1000mg of pure EPA in the thread called Fish Oil and Antidepressants. ( I think that is where I put it.)

Last edited by gort; 01-02-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Closed Thread