It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

cfoxj HB User
Am I taking too many vitamins and herbs??

My husband complains that I take way too many vitamins and herbs. Here is a list of what I take and why. Please tell me what you think.
I take what the bottle says unless I describe why I take more or less next to it. Everytime I go to a doctor, they just say WOW! WOW! You probably don't need all of this. The Potassium I might consider eliminating, but, the rest all serve a purpose. I am pre-diabetic and also have hypothyroidism (which the kelp controls) and high cholesterol and I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I am drug free at this point tho!! I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Multi Vitamin (Bottle says 2 each day.) For General Health.

B- Complex (Bottle says 2 each day) I take to help thyroid function and nerves and heart.

Vitamin E 400 I.U. (Bottle says 1 each day) For General Health.

Vitamin C (500mg) (Bottle says1-4 daily) I take 1 daily for General Health & to fight colds.

Alfalfa (Bottle says 10 daily) I cut this back to 5 daily for arthritis.

COQ10 (Bottle says 1 daily) For Heart and energy.

Garlic (Bottle says 1 daily) For cholesterol.

L-Carnitine (Bottle says 1 daily) For metabolism

Potassium Gluconate 99 (Bottle says 1 daily) I don't eat much fruit or drink juice because I am pre-diabetic.

Kelp (Bottle says 1 daily) I take 4 of these because I have hypothyroidism and do not take any medication for it. 4 of these = 600mcg a day.

Magnesium (Bottle says 1 daily) I take two of these daily to help control heart palps and cholesterol and pre-diabetic condition.

Fiber Plan Tablets (Bottle says 5 with meal) I take 5 with a meal once a day, these are to promote healthy colon.

Alpha Lipoic Acid 200mg (Bottle says 1 or 2 daily) I read this was good for fighting diabetes so I take 2 a day.

Cinnamon 500mg (Bottle says 1 to 2 daily) I take 5 to help control sugar.

Omega 3 Complex (Bottle says 3 to 6 daily) I take 3 daily for heart.

Calcium with Magnesium & Vit D (Bottle says 3 daily) For Bones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
(male)

liverock HB User
Re: Am I taking too many vitamins and herbs??

Looking at your symptoms they are most likely due to your hypothyroidism.

Whilst taking kelp supplements may increase your iodine intake there are a couple of supplements which can reduce thyroid hormones.

L-Carnitine is an antagonist to thyroid hormone, and is sometimes used in cases of hyperthyroidism to block entry of thyroid hormone into cells.

[URL=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=8636317&dopt=Abstract[/URL]

Likewise a fiber enriched diet can reduce the bioavailability of T4 hormone.

[URL=http://]www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=11502782&dopt=Abstract[/URL]

The quick way to check for iodine sufficiency is to paint a circle of iodine on your inner arm the size of a silver dollar.

If it disappears within 8 hours you definitely need iodine.
If it disappears in 24 hours you are still short of iodine, though not as chronic.
If it simply stays on and begins to fade slowly in color after 24 hours then you are sufficient in iodine.

If you have been checked and found clear of Hypoadrenalism then The Basal Temperature Test can be used to check for hypothyroidism.

This involves checking your under arm temperature, using a digital thermometer, before getting out of bed first thing in the morning over a period of 10 days. If the average is between 97.8F and 98.2F, thats normal, below 97.8 usually indicates a hypothyroid condition. Using this method you can check the effectiveness of any increase in iodine intake. Menstruating women should start this test 3 days into the cycle.

I personally wouldn't use kelp myself, but Lugol's iodine in the form of Iodoral
is supposed to have higher bioavailability and can be purchased in higher doses.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by liverock; 02-23-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

cfoxj HB User

Liverock you say: "If you have been checked and found clear of Hypoadrenalism then The Basal Temperature Test can be used to check for hypothyroidism. "

What is hypoadrenalism? I am not familiar with this.

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, but, chose not to take Synthroid or drugs for it. I am not fond of taking drugs if I can avoid it. I did take the basal temperature test a few years ago and my temp was low. That is when I was first diagnosed and when I started Kelp supplements. This was about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I had a blood test about six months after taking Kelp and the thyroid seems to be OK according to Doc anyway. But, since then, I have been diagnosed Pre-diabetic and have had high cholesterol (228). So, maybe not so????

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that L-Carnitine & Fiber tablets are not good for hypothyroidism is that correct?

I will give the iodine test a try. But, if I have been taking Kelp for 2 1/2 years I should not be iodine insufficient? Correct?

I appreciate your suggestions and your help I will check out Lugol's Iodine. Oh, one more question do you have hypothyroidism? Thanks!

Old 02-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #4
(male)

liverock HB User

cfoxj
Quote:
If I have been taking kelp for 21/2 years I Should not be iodine deficient? Correct?
The RDA for iodine, like a lot of RDA ranges is not an optimal dose, but the lowest figure to prevent goiter.
Another example of a low RDA is Vitamin C at 60mg, which is the lowest dosage to prevent scurvy, but is not generally regarded as an optimal dosage.

Japanese women have the largest intake of iodine in the world at 13.8 mg per day, which is 100 times higher than the RDA. They have the lowest rates of breast cancer, goiter and hypothyroidism.
Japan also has the lowest worldwide rates of all types of cancer except stomach cancer.

Iodine was added to bread in the US in generous quantities during the1960's which prevented iodine deficiency. A slice of bread contained 150mcg, the whole days RDA, and the average daily intake was about 1mg mainly from bakery products. In the 1980's the bakery industry removed iodine and replaced it with bromide which inhibits iodine acting in the thyroid and since then there has been an explosion of thyroid problems.
Quote:
I had a blood test about six months after taking kelp and the thyroid seems to be OK according to Doc anyway. But since then I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic and have high cholesterol. So maybe not so?
Dr Guy Abraham, former Professor of Endocrinology at UCLA School of Medicine, carried out a research project using Iodoral tablets containg 12.8 mgs of iodine and found lack of iodine implicated in fibroystic breasts, polyoptic ovary syndrome,hypo and hyper thyroid, obesity,diabetes, hypotension and heart arrythmias such as atrial fibrillation.
For details of the research go onto the net and look for The Iodine Project.
Quote:
L- Carnitine and fiber are not good for hypothyroidism ?
No they are not, but I would suggest that you forget about this for the moment and concentrate on making sure your thyroid is working at the optimum.
If the iodine patch shows deficiency then you might want to consider consulting a naturopath who does the Iodoral protocol and can monitor progress.
Quote:
Do you have hypothyroidism?
I had a sub clinical hypothyroid problem which I solved with iodine, but I do have an ongoing adrenal hormone problem.
Quote:
What is hypoadrenalism?
This is a condition where the adrenal glands do not secrete enough hormones, usually cortisol, but the other adrenal hormones can be affected as well. The symptoms are similar in some respects to hypothyroid, fatigue and brain fog.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by liverock; 02-27-2006 at 05:39 AM.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
(female)

cfoxj HB User

Thanks Liverock! You sound very knowledgeable on the subject. I am going to take the Iodine test for sure.

I had an ovarian cyst (which was removed recently).
SVT which is a heart arrythmia I had surgically corrected in December 05.
High cholesterol (228).
I also was diagnosed pre-diabetic last year and have been over weight my whole life!! Although, in this past year I have lost 55 pounds.

Wow, from what you said it sounds like I am a perfect case of iodine deficiency!! What do you think??? Well, I will find out after the test. I will keep you posted as to the test results and thanks so much for your input! It was appreciated!

Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

liverock,
What exactly is bromide? How come the bread industry started using it instead of iodine in the 1980's?

What have you been taking to help with your ongoing adrenal problem? Thanks.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
(male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
liverock,
What exactly is bromide? How come the bread industry started using it instead of iodine in the 1980's?
Bromide is used as a bleaching agent which helps to keep the bread whiter and more acceptable to customers. It is also used in a lot of other products such as a fire retardent in carpets and clothes and it is definitely no good for hypothyroidism.

Quote:
What have you been taking to help with your ongoing adrenal problem?
Before talking about this I would emphasise to anyone dont jump to the conclusion that just because you have fatigue it is caused by your adrenals.
Get tested for adrenal hormones(I used saliva testing) and get infections ruled out such as mono,EBV etc.

Usually with low adrenals there are other symptoms, which can include lowBP,balance problems and cravings for salty or sugary foods.

I had cortisol at the lowest end of the acceptable range.

Diet changes I made consisted of cutting out hydrogenated fatty foods including all fried foods, as well as a lot of processed foods like cakes and desserts.

I also had to start going to bed before 11pm and not getting up before 9am, which according to research are the most favourable hours to help the adrenals recover.

Exercise, even if its only for a half hour walk also helped.

The supplements I use are:

300mg CoQ10 to help with providing energy into the mitochondria.
800mg Vitamin E Mixed Tocopherols.
50mg Vitamin B Complex.
500mg Korean Ginseng (I make sure this is at least 12 genosides strength).
3x500mg Pantothenic Acid B5 Time Release. This is taken at 8 hr intervals and at a different time than the B 50 Complex. B5 and VitC provide the "gas " for the adrenals to work.

2 tablespoons of Flax seeds (not oil) taken throughout the day after grinding in a coffee grinder. I like to spread on my oatmeal breakfast or on a yoghurt.
The flax seeds provide fatty acids for energy.

I have recovered about 60% energywise so far.

Hope this helps

Closed Thread