It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
Recommended probiotics and digestive enzymes, for helping with gas problem?

I've been having a bad flatulence/gas problem for a long time now. I seem to have the gas problem throughout the whole day and night. It doesn't seem to just start up after eating certain foods, the problem is always there.

I was wondering if probiotics or digestive enzymes might have with this problem? Could someone explain a little more about the difference between probiotics and digestive enzymes? Also, which brands of probiotics and digestive enzymes do you recommend?

Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
(female)

IBS Free HB User
Re: Recommended probiotics and digestive enzymes, for helping with gas problem?

There is some sort of dysbiosis present that needs addressing and most likely food allergies. Get a ELISA food allergy test done and the CDSA stool tests done by a holistic or naturopathic dr. Probiotics and enzymes can be started by the doctor at the appropriate time in the protocol treatment. You should first see the doctor and have those tests done first.
Best of health to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Foods containing chlorophyl will absorb the gases & heal the intestines. Chlorophyl also suffocates pathogens by surrounding them in oxygen. Eat more spinach and kale, take chlorella tabs or wheatgrass juice capsules to get lots of chlorophyl into you.

Inner Cleanse is a good digestive enzyme. Bromelain capsules derived from pineapple works too. Any probiotics that are enteric coated will help. They won't dissolve until they reach the intestines.

Last edited by gort; 03-10-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Thanks for the replies. I have also have problems with feeling really, really exhausted all the time, and short-term memory loss problems. I thought that my digestion could be off, and I'm not absorbing some of the nutrients into my body that I normally would? This is turn might contribute to the gas problem, and also the exhaustion and short-term memory problems?

IBS Free,
I also thought about a possible food allergy, such as being gluten intolerant? Is dysbiosis similar to leaky gut syndrome?

gort,
I'm going to be purchasing wheat grass capsules soon. The capsules I was planning on getting are just wheat grass though, and not wheat grass juice. Is that ok?

Old 03-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

Hi,
You may have candida. You can find the symtoms on the inernet on a search engine.

I have a healthy digestive system. I eat alot of veggies, fruits, brown rice and meat, chicken, pork and beef. I try to eat as much organic foods as possible. In addition to that every morning I drink a green drink that has wheat grass, barley grass, spirulina and green alge in it. This drink helps me to stay regular and keeps me cleaned out.

I also eat 1/2 cup of pure, organic, natural yogurt everyday for the probiotics.

I was feeling fatigued before I started drinking the geen drink. I needed a nap everyday after work. I don't need a nap now, and I work out 3 to 4 times a week. The other thing I noticed after I started the green drink, was I feel good in my digestive system, I don't have any cravings.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

PS, one more thing, a good digestive enzyme will help you, the directions recommend one a 1/2 hour before each meal. There is a good selection at most health food stores.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

O.K mr ''health nut'' here is going to try a green powder for the first time in my life as i like all the info im reading. So when i go to the healthfood store this weekend are there any brands that you all prefer....

Old 03-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

I'm not Mr. Health nut, I'm Ms. Health nut.

ONe thing to remember is to start slow if you have been on a bad diet for years. Look for green foods, should have barley green, wheat grass, spirulina, and wheat grass. When you begin drinking and eating healthy you begin what is called detoxing. You can feel fatigued, achey, have headaches that last from 1 to 3 days. Drink lots of water when beginning any healthy eating program.

Another thing that a green drink will do is cleanse your colon.....(I know more info than you wanted to know)....but its very important information.

Hope this info helps.....sorry if its too much info........
Good luck.......

Old 03-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannasnana
I'm not Mr. Health nut, I'm Ms. Health nut.
LOL.......But can you take these green powders not just for detoxifing but for greens /vege's in general on a daily basis. Since sometimes my diet is oatmeal/whey protein and olive oil which is healthy but not alot of cancer fighting Greens...........

Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
(female)

IBS Free HB User

Leaky Gut Syndrome is when foods aren't digested properly, they ferment and rot in our intestines, producing toxic byproducts that irritate and inflame the intestines, causing tiny tears. These toxic byproducts are created by the organisms living in our digestive tract. When dysbiosis is present, the "pathogenic"(bad) organisms are in greater number than the friendly organisms. The intestinal lining losing its ability to act properly as a filter and leaks, hence the name Leaky Gut Syndrome. It is a contributing factor in celiac disease.

Dysbiosis is what changes the healthy balance of organisms in the intestinal tract. Dysbiosis can be caused by constant high levels of stress, exposure to manufactured chemicals, poor food choices, oral contraceptives, surgery and use of antibiotics and pain killers.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

LOL Now I get it..YOUR Mr. Health nut..... The green drink will be great for you. I eat alot of veggies and I can't belive how much better I feel on the green drink I found. I found it in the produce section of that big store that starts with a W. ;o) There are 9 plus health drinks made with such goodness. If you have trouble getting kids to eat veggies or fruit, these drinks are the way to go. 100% natural/organic.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Thanks again for the info ............

Old 03-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
Thanks for the replies. I have also have problems with feeling really, really exhausted all the time, and short-term memory loss problems. I thought that my digestion could be off, and I'm not absorbing some of the nutrients into my body that I normally would? This is turn might contribute to the gas problem, and also the exhaustion and short-term memory problems?

IBS Free,
I also thought about a possible food allergy, such as being gluten intolerant? Is dysbiosis similar to leaky gut syndrome?

gort,
I'm going to be purchasing wheat grass capsules soon. The capsules I was planning on getting are just wheat grass though, and not wheat grass juice. Is that ok?
Well, I've only read that the wheatgrass is supposed to be juiced first then freeze dried before they put it in capsules. I think it's for better digestion because the actual grass can't be absorbed properly by humans, only the juice. The back of the label should tell you how it is prepared.

The exhaustion and memory problems could very well be related to your digestion. With dysbiosis, as was mentioned, a lot of toxins will release into the blood stream and travel to the brain causing foggy thinking and mental fatigue. And if leaky gut has occured, you will have particles entering the blood via those tears in the colon. The body attacks the particles of food as if they are allergens, raising histamine levels... leading to more fatigue.

Have heart, any green drinks will aid you greatly and very soon after starting.
Greens+ brand or Barley Greens are great.
On the very high end quality and expense are Pure Synergy; E3Live; Vega by Sequel Naturals designed by a raw foods vegetarian tri-athlete. Vega is a complete meal replacement sweetened with stevia, and contains no soy or whey. It has yellow pea and hemp protein and high ORAC berries and probiotics, chlorella and maca.

My favourite digest aid when I run out of greens is 2 teaspoons of raw cider vinegar with the "mother" (sediment) in a glass of water.

Last edited by gort; 03-17-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Once again, thanks for all the replies. I remember back about a year and a half ago or so, I was put on a couple different supplements to try and help with my symptoms. I went back now to check the ingredient list of these supplements. I was put on Green Vibrance Powder, which has a whole bunch of quality ingredients in it like wheat grass juice, barley juice, digestive enzymes, and probiotics. I didn't like the taste of the powder, so I got switched to the capsule form of Green Vibrance. I was also taking Super Berry, which is made by Living Fuel. Super Berry consisted of some similar ingredients, but I think it had even more ingredients than Green Vibrance. Super Berry was very expensive, because each serving was supposed to be like a full meal.

So I'm kinda bummed now cause I got myself thinking that the probiotics and digestive enzymes won't help me, since they were included in Green Vibrance and Super Berry, and they didn't help my symptoms.

But I do need to look at my diet, cause it isn't the best.

Also, this is a little off topic, but do you think it would be a good idea if I got my three amalgam(silver) fillings removed? I know it's only three, but I thought it might be a good idea.

Closed Thread