It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

jennazer HB User
How much Magnesium? So Confused!

I just got done reading "the Miracle of Magnesium". I suffer from PVC's (benign) and anxiety. Instead of going on a beta-blocker or an anti-anxiety medication which I absolutely do not want to do, I want to try the magnesium first since I heard great things about it. My problem is I cannot figure out how much to take. In the book it gives different doses for all different problems. One for heart palps, one for anxiety etc... It also varies on the calcium intake with the magnesium. Should I do 1:1, 2:1??? Ugh, Im so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Old 03-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: How much Magnesium? So Confused!

Better to start low/slow w/ the mag rather than too high. I'd go not much over 100 mg. at first to see how it is tolerated. You can always increase it a bit if you want.

Magnesium can be a problem if one is prone to low blood pressure. It is also notorious for causing diarrhea.

Some forms of mag are going to be much better absorbed than others. Our family has used a cal/mag citrate by Twinlab for many yrs. It's in a pleasant chewable tablet, and in 2:1 cal:mag ratio. I don't think you will hurt yourself by trying one tablet (125 mg. mag) or 1/2 tablet.

My teenage son uses a cal/mag fizzy beverage by Baywood, says it really helps him relax at bedtime.

Please remember that too much magnesium can be toxic. The RDA for women is around 300 mg/day, while the safe upper limit is about 350 mg. That's not too much wiggle room, and can easily be overdone. People with kidney problems may not be able to tolerate even the RDA.

[url]http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp[/url] is an excellent website from the National Institute of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements. It will give you high quality, medically respected information on magnesium.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

jennazer HB User

thank you so much. I will heed your recommendations.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Every one's need are different so experiment with and see how you feel. I personally take 1000 mg's of magnesium citrate a day and i never take it with calcium as they both compete for same receptor sites in the small intestines with calcium winning out. Also avacados , sunflower seeds and black beans are some foods that are high in this nutrient ........

Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

What about Magnesium Aspartate? Has anyone heard of that before? I know of someone that is taking a Magnesium/Potasium Aspartate combo.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
(male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennazer
I just got done reading "the Miracle of Magnesium". I suffer from PVC's (benign) and anxiety. Instead of going on a beta-blocker or an anti-anxiety medication which I absolutely do not want to do, I want to try the magnesium first since I heard great things about it. My problem is I cannot figure out how much to take. In the book it gives different doses for all different problems. One for heart palps, one for anxiety etc... It also varies on the calcium intake with the magnesium. Should I do 1:1, 2:1??? Ugh, Im so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks
I tried magnesium for PVC's, up to 700 mg but it didn't work for me.
Eventualy somebody said I should take a tincture of a herb called Night Flowering Cactus and it worked. Whenever I feel the pvc's coming on I take a teaspoonful in a little water and they are gone for the day!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
What about Magnesium Aspartate? Has anyone heard of that before? I know of someone that is taking a Magnesium/Potasium Aspartate combo.
Aspartates and Citrates are organic compounds (amino acid chelators) and are absorbed better. Just stay away from Carbonates as these are inorganic and hard to absorb......

Old 03-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
(female)

jitteryme HB User

Jennazer, I am in the same boat as you. I just finished reading the book too and also suffer from PVC's and anxiety. I desperately want to stay off antidepressants and would be scared to death to even try a beta blocker. For the past week, I have been taking a magnesium supplement (Magnesium Oxide) of 250 mg. which I added to my regular multi-vitamin which has 100 mg. of Magnesium. I am also trying to increase the magnesium rich foods I eat.

In the book, there are much higher doses recommended, and in another book I have about treating anxiety disorders, it also has this higher dose listed (1000 mg. per day).

Have you decided what to do and how much to take? Any results yet?

Old 03-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryme
Jennazer, I am in the same boat as you. I just finished reading the book too and also suffer from PVC's and anxiety. I desperately want to stay off antidepressants and would be scared to death to even try a beta blocker. For the past week, I have been taking a magnesium supplement (Magnesium Oxide) of 250 mg. which I added to my regular multi-vitamin which has 100 mg. of Magnesium. I am also trying to increase the magnesium rich foods I eat.

In the book, there are much higher doses recommended, and in another book I have about treating anxiety disorders, it also has this higher dose listed (1000 mg. per day).

Have you decided what to do and how much to take? Any results yet?
I read that magnesium oxide is not a very well absorbable form of magnesium, and neither is magnesium carbonate. Magnesium taurate and citrate are supposed to be very well absorbable. As for dosage, I started taking one 100 mg capsule in the morning and one in the evening. I hope it will improve my mood and help me sleep better. 1000 mg per day sounds like a lot. I think you're safer with eating more magnesium-rich foods (avocado is one and it's so delicious!). Good luck.

Last edited by SophiaM; 03-24-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
Aspartates and Citrates are organic compounds (amino acid chelators) and are absorbed better. Just stay away from Carbonates as these are inorganic and hard to absorb......
Thanks for the reply. I read that a Magnesium/Potassium Aspartate supplement can be helpful in raising energy levels with some people, that have real low energy. The recommended dosage was 1,000 mg of Magnesium/Potassium Aspartate per day. Is 1,000 mg of Magnesium, and 1,000 mg of Potassium, too much to take per day?

What benefits are there in having Potassium with Magnesium in a capsule together? Also, when you're taking in too much Magnesium, is the 'side effect' almost always diarrhea? I was just wondering if a person could be taking too much Magnesium per day, but not get diarrhea.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Many people with low energy/CFS are deficient in magnesium. However, if you don't have magnesium deficiency, the supplements will not do help. It is best to have a blood workup and see what exactly you are lacking.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
Thanks for the reply. I read that a Magnesium/Potassium Aspartate supplement can be helpful in raising energy levels with some people, that have real low energy. The recommended dosage was 1,000 mg of Magnesium/Potassium Aspartate per day. Is 1,000 mg of Magnesium, and 1,000 mg of Potassium, too much to take per day?

What benefits are there in having Potassium with Magnesium in a capsule together? Also, when you're taking in too much Magnesium, is the 'side effect' almost always diarrhea? I was just wondering if a person could be taking too much Magnesium per day, but not get diarrhea.
1000MG of Magnesium is the max a day i would take and i myself take that amount, as for Potassium the max is 5000 mg a day and is best to get this in food as Potassium supps could be dangerous as almost all Potassium is sold in 99 mg. Taken both together is fine as both work inside the cell as Sodium/Calcium work outside so these 4 Minerals form the electrolytes..Your last question on bowel intolerance is on a person to person basis so experiment....

Old 03-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

On this same website, go to thyroid disorders, then click on "information archives" at the top of page...............then go to page 7, post #32............and you will find lost of wonderful information on magnesium such as how much to take, what kind works best (they just say water soluable and my health food store said that would be pure magnesium powder or capsules, just not tablets). Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
(female)

jennazer HB User

Yes, I started taking Magnesium Glycinate, by Solgar which I found in a local health food store (can also be found online) and B-50 complex. The magnesium has definately helped. It has not eliminated them, but the contractions are far less noticeable and they have decresed by about 80%. I also started taking note of when I get them, and there is a definate pattern where they increase the week before my period, so I strongly believe there is a connection there. Once PMS is over with, I get or at least feel maybe 10 a day. I spoke to my doctor about this who dismissd this in the nicest way possible, but since he has never had PMS, Im dismissing his dismissal, lol. I asked my cardio about taking the magnesium and he said it was fine to take. My potassium was also 3.5, which is still considered normal range but at the lowest possible range before being considered out of range. He said the magnesium will help absorb more potassium into my cells which may help the pvc's. He advised only to get more potassium through food though and not supplements as supplements can be deadly if not monitored constantly through blood tests. So I started drinking a glass of OJ every morning (which I never did before), eating a banana a day, incorporating more oranges, apricots, and baked potato with skin into my diet. I have also tried to meditate to reduce stress, but that is not going to well. I have a 3 year old running around all day, so its next to impossible to get into that "zone" of meditation. Hopefully someday!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Hi Jenn, so glad that you are feeling better! This past Jan I had a bad spell of pvc's that sent me to the ER. I was also struggling with high blood pressure and after a horrible trial of Toprol XL(beta blocker), I desired info on natural alternatives & found it at the health food store--on magnesium. If you would like to take a different form of magnesium there is a type made of rice bran. Daily foods makes it in tablet form with a little kelp and dulse(seaweed). It helped me so much that I don't have high blood pressure anymore and I don't even take the magnesium now. Just wanted to encourage you to consider the idea that you don't HAVE to take it everyday. Only when you are under stress. I understand the time constraints a mom can have--I had twins. Maybe instead of mediatation you can do deep breathing exercises. They help with anxiety AND best of all give me lots more energy. I highly recommend it. Take care! PS when my kids were little I lived in Irwin, PA. I have many fond memories of the incline, Station Square, and fireworks at The Point.

Last edited by kidd123; 06-05-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Closed Thread