It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
(male)

AlienB HB User
Holistic approach to digestive health

Has anyone tried Chinese herbs or accupuncture for digestive help?

I sometimes strain and feel like an incomplete evacuation.

I'm currently taking Fish Oil and 400mg of Magnesium Asportate. Could Magnesium could be causing the problem?

Maybe a diet change would help, I just don't know what to try next..

Has anyone used a holistic approach to these types of problems??

Last edited by AlienB; 04-26-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

ILaff HB User
Re: Internal stress/ colon connection?

DRINK MORE WATER...yes I am yelling...eat fruit and vegetables(fresh is best) walk around and well, you know about the water...almost everyone is dehydrated(if you feel thirsty guess what?)it is not magic it is chemistry...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

He Shou Wu is a Chinese herb that is a tonic for the liver and kidneys and acts as a slight laxative. It's sometimes called Foti and is the herb that is in Shen Min for hair.

If you're having trouble with full evacuations, their could be hemorroids or a partial blockage at the sides of the colon. Slippery Elm bark, crane's bill root, marshmallow root and butcher's broom may help with colon. But don't take Butcher's Broom if you have high blood pressure. Crane's Bill root and marshmallow root are usually in colon cleanse formulas, so it's cheaper to buy a colon formula rather than several herbs separately.

L-Glutamine, N-Acetyl D-Glucosamine, Gamma Oryzanol are all supposed to be good for maintaining a healthy intestinal lining.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
(male)

AlienB HB User

Thanks, I've wanted to try accupunture and chinese medicene to see if that helps. I've been taking flax oil and 400mg. of mag. citrate to prevent constipation. However, yesterday was a constant trip to the bathroom. I don't know if I got some bad chicken or the problem was anxiety. You may be correct, I have a fissure and the muscle seems tight. Could all this be emotional?? Let me know of other suggestions I could try. This is really bringing me down..thanks

Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Every person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber to have normal BMs. The fiber needs to be a combination of soluble and insoluble fiber.
Soluble fiber bulks up your stool and lnsoluble fiber causes muscle contractions that results in digestd food passing through your intestines.

No meats. seafood or dairy products contain any fiber.

You also as already posted -- need to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily and get a moderate amount of exercise.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
(male)

AlienB HB User

Harry,
Have you have had problems in the past and corrected it? You help so many flolks on this site, thanks.

How can I get the correct amount of insoluble and soluble fiber in my diet?

I'm trying to eat better, yams, green veggies, chicken..

Is there a liquid that has both types of fiber?

Old 06-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
(female)

1vicki HB User

Have you tried a herbal cleanse?
I am taking taio chi cleanse right now and feel so much better than normal.
good luck.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post Re: Internal stress/ colon connection?

AlienB,

I certainly have had digestive problems for a long time-- about 40 years. I have had, ulcers, IBS, hemorrhoids & surgery, diverticular problems and colon resection just 4 years ago because of chornic diverticular bleeding.
So, I have been very proactive about health and have alot of experience dealing with my digestion problems.

I also have been into Alternative Medicine for about 35 years-- mainly-- nutrition and homeopathy. I first started posting on this board 10/1999. But, have for some time now been posting mainly on the Bowel, Digestive and IBS boards.

Most people these days don't intake enough soluble fiber daily to have normal BMs.
People's diets have changed so much over the past 50 years with the wide choices of natural and processed as well as fast foods available.

Insoluble fiber is contained in all fruits and veggies, seeds & nuts and the brans that are in cereals. These foods contain very little soluble fiber that bulk up your stool.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of grains-- like rice, corn, oats, barley and wheat the outer part is insoluble. Like beans and peas--the inside is soluble and the outer part is insouble including green beans. Root veggies like potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips and chicory root(Inulin) are all soluble fiber veggies.
And, of course fiber supplements like Metamucil & Konsyl contains psyllium, Citrucel, Benefiber and Fiber Choice(inulin) are mostly soluble fiber.

I have found that with my food intake -- I don't eat enough soluble fiber daily-- like 80% of other people so I need at least 7or 8grams of a supplement daily to have my intestines work right and have regular BMs w/o straining.

I take psyllium in the Equate brand from Wal Mart twice daily. I like the powder form best because it is well dispersed in water. Some people don't like it because it starts to absorb fluid immediately and is bloating for some. But, it also comes in capsules and Wafers and many people like that including my wife. It starts working later during digestion.
The largest size capsule of psyllium that I have found is 870 mgm from the Vitamin Shoppe -- most caps are 550 mgm. It take alot of caps per day to get 7 gram of soluble fiber.

Psyllium will produce alot of gas when first start using it because it is a natural fiber and breaksdown during digestion and frements. But,with continued use -- your system gets use to it and the GAS goes away, So, start off slow like one dose daily until you get use to it!

You have to work out the amount you take with the foods that you eat ---daily. WE all eat so differently!!

I wish you well~~~Harry

Closed Thread