HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alternative Medicine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/)
-   -   L- Tryptophan Safe To Take For Insomnia And Will It Help? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/401293-l-tryptophan-safe-take-insomnia-will-help.html)

melanie in mary 06-15-2006 07:17 AM

L- Tryptophan Safe To Take For Insomnia And Will It Help?

Does anyone here take L- Tryptophan? I found it in the Vitamin Shoppe and was just wondering who takes it. I am thinking of taking it for sleep (insomnia) issues. I have heard some bad things about it, like some people died from it because someone made a contaiminated batch and people bought it, et. So I am nervous. Does anyone take this and do they see a benefit from taking this? Thanks

elmhar 06-15-2006 09:49 AM

Re: L- Tryptophan Safe To Take For Insomnia And Will It Help?

I have an Rx for L-tryptophan that I use occasionally. After removing dairy from my diet, I was at a loss for a replacement for my warm-milk-at-bedtime. My Rx was for 500 mg., 1 to 2 capsules, however I have found that 1/2 cap is enough for me. However, I do not have severe insomnia.

I am not aware that L-tryptophan is available OTC? It was removed about 2 decades ago after some deaths due to contamination in manufacture, and as far as I know is available only by prescription in the USA. I could be wrong on that. However, you do want to make sure that if you do find an OTC L-tyrptophan, that it is certified as being "Peak-X Free," meaning, it does not contain the contaminant that caused trouble in the past.

Perhaps you are referring to 5-HTP?

You pretty much need to try a supplement to determine whether it will work for you or not ... the effect will likely be more akin to what you experience after eating a large turkey dinner, or after drinking a mug of warm milk, less like taking Ambien or Lunesta.

Best wishes.

melanie in mary 06-15-2006 01:56 PM

thanks for your reply. I did hear about the deaths a few years ago and that is scary! I did find this at the Vitamin Shoppe. But you are right, I was surprised to find it. Haven't taken it yet, a little nervous to!!

CrazyDogLady 06-17-2006 04:43 PM

I don't know about tryptophan, but my daughter is a horrible insomniac. I give her melatonin and it knocks her out. I've not heard of anything negative about melatonin. Has any one heard anything about melatonin?

ratboy83 06-19-2006 09:44 AM

L-tryptophan and melotonin will do the same trick for insomnia as it is trytophan that is a precursor (although not direct) to melotonin. L-tryptophan is converted to 5-HTP, which is then converted to melatonin by the pineal gland which stores it until it is released when natural light levels fall in the evening. i'd imagine therefore that melotonin is faster acting than L-tryptophan as it doesn't have to undergo this conversion. i haven't heard anything negative about melatonin. i guess it depends on the overall picture for a person. 5-HTP or L-tryptophan are better if the insomnia is related to depression as taking these supplements can help to bolster serotonin levls in the brain too in the ong term. but if its not then possibly melatonin. this is something you would need to research further though as i am not certain of this.
someone mentioned 5-HTP. this can be bought over the counter but i have heard some negative about it. people on previous threads have mentioned that it makes them feel a bit groggy when they wake up. they then mentioned in the same post that L-tryptophan didn't have this negative effect. thought this was something to bear in mind when deciding between the two.

alex.

Jennita 06-19-2006 02:04 PM

These are foods high in the sleep-inducing amino acid tryptophan:

Dairy products: cottage cheese, cheese, milk
Soy products: soy milk, tofu, soybean nuts
Seafood
Meats
Poultry
Whole grains
Beans
Rice
Hummus
Lentils
Hazelnuts, Peanuts
Eggs
Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds

Diet also helps the problem!

ratboy83 06-20-2006 01:58 AM

turkey has the highest concentration of L-tryptophan out of all foods. one of the cheapest meats too, which is a bonus. chicken wins second prize. much more expensive though. also bear in mind that turkey has nearly twice as much tryptophan than beef, which tends to be higher in other amino acids instead.

alex.

ratboy83 06-20-2006 01:59 AM

bananas are also a good source.

alex.

Concerned Male 06-30-2006 03:46 PM

I'm confused about why some over the counter items such as aspirin or Tylenol, could have a bad batch, and harm or kill people, and you don't need a prescription for those things? But with something such as L-Tryptophan, you need a prescription for it?

ratboy83 07-06-2006 08:58 AM

i take your point. alot of conspiracy theorists claim the ban on tryptophan was linked to pressure by the drugs companies as the ban coincided with the release of prozac. they saw how effective tryptophan was at treating depression and believed that it would effect the success of their new drug so jumped on the band wagon over the contamination issue. its interesting to note that tryptophan was never banned in baby formulas- guess babis don't get prescribed anti-depressants too often. form what i've heard on the grape vine, tryptophan is set to be released for generak sale again in the near future. yee-ha!:)

alex.

SusanGene 07-16-2006 05:35 PM

tryptophan was taken off the mkt AGES AGO when people died from ONE contaminated batch from china (the FDA doesn't take most medicines or treatments off the market that kill *thousands* of people a year because there's a lot of MONEY in those things). But a hundred or less people die from a supplement and.....IT'S GONE FROM THE SHELVES! :rolleyes:
I buy it over the internet. It's really great.
It brightens your mood and makes you sleep deeper and banishes anxiety.
It's one of the best things I've ever taken.
Do a search on "tryptophan benefits" and try to read the websites that ARE NOT selling it and see what they have to say. I just got my 2nd bottle
by Source Naturals. After less than 2 wks on 2-3 capsules a day and you should feel happier, more relaxed, and be sleeping better. :wave:
**** IS IS SAFE **** AND *** IT WORKS ***

kathryn+2 07-24-2006 03:33 PM

I take 2 tabs (100 ml) of NOW brand 5htp before bed every night ,and it works great for me. (My Holistic Dr. recommended the NOW brand)