It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
(male)

noto HB User
Re: fish oil and antidepressants

I have social anxiety disorder too and I didn't know gort you have it too. Thus, hearing such a comforting statements from you really make me really wanting to look forward taking the EPA pills. Do you mind elaborate more on the social anxiety disorder improvement? Thanks. Anyway, I had ordered the Omega Joy and is still waiting for the goods to come now.

Do you take the pill once in the morning and then another in the afternoon? Do you take it before or after your meal or rather which one yeild the best result?

Last edited by noto; 07-01-2006 at 02:24 AM.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Noto, I've taken one with breakfast, then the other at lunch for the most part. Sometimes I've taken both about an hour after breakfast and find that it has a quicker calming effect when taking 2 at once. Then for a long time I took 2 at once after breakfast. As far as Soc. Anxiety goes I find that the oil works as good as Clonazapam for calmness in front of people, without the zombie side effects of Clonazapam and other anti-anxiety meds. Glad I don't take that stuff anymore.

Some people on these boards take their fish oil all together at suppertime because it helps them sleep better. It's all personal preference and convenience. I think eating whole fish several times a week is really helping me too. I also take maca (500mg) and He Shou Wu daily to help keep my hormones balanced which will help mood too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
gort,

your doctor said you could have possible nerve damage from the stress and depression you've gone through? Cause I'm also dealing with short term memory problems, concentration, issues etc. Maybe the years of stress and depression that I've gone through have caused nerve damage? Is there anyway to test for that?

...I've also thought that the fillings could be contributing to some of my health issues such as the short term memory problems. ..
I don't know if there's a test but how do they know when diabetics have neuropathy...must be some kind of test. My doctor was assessing my tendency to startle easily as well as my sensation that all the nerves in my body seem to be vibrating. My finger tips, my toes, everything has this strange sensation of vibrating and not being able to relax. Epsom salt baths or extra magnesium does not help this. If there is a test he knows I can't afford it and has never mentioned one. He recommended I take Alpha GPC (Glycero Phosphoro Choline) to rebuild cells. Unfortunately it makes me very agitated and could not finish the bottle. I found a product called Ortho Mind by A.O.R. It has a similar choline factor in it, plus various Ayurvedic/Chinese/Aminos that bring more circulation to the brain. It also has r-Alpha lipoic acid. I just take one or two caps a day or I will get too hyper. I think you and I have a long healing ahead of us and we need to be patient, yes? He recommended a physical therapy called Feldenkreis classes for my nerves. It's expensive. I did one session. I think Pilates do just as good a job. I do feel very relaxed after a one hour class of Pilates. I'll have to get into it again.

Also, you might have mercury exposure from flu vaccines and childhood inocculations. Thimerosol is the preservative and it contains mercury.

Best, gort

Old 07-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
(male)

noto HB User

Noto,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it ok for me to take 2 in the morning and perhaps another 2 in the afternoon/evening time? any side effect from this so far for u?

Last edited by moderator4; 07-02-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

The researchers were curious about this too. So one group took 4 grams of EPA daily, divided doses, and showed no additional or speeded up effect. Save money and take the max dose of Omega Joy as stated on the bottle. 2 caps = 1000mg EPA. Try to eat wild salmon often, too, so you are getting some DHA. Your body will store it and convert it into EPA as needed.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
(male)

noto HB User

does the 2x500mg in the morning can extend the effect till night time and ensure a deep sleep? i want the calming effect to extend tll night time. which type of dose do u sugges from ur experience so far?

Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Yesterday I took one at 10am and a second cap at 6pm. I was a bit drowsy by 8:30pm and generally speaking had a quieter mind. Not so many jumpy thoughts. I didn't notice any difference in my sleep last night, though. Try taking both at supper for a few days and see how you feel.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:19 AM   #8
(male)

noto HB User

I see. I think I will try the 2x500mg early in the morning before i took my breakfast. how do u think of it? Speaking from your stand, normlly within how many days under such circumstance will i get to see the result? Still patiently waiting for my overseas Omega Joy to reach me!

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-22-2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: If you are replying to the post directly before yours, please do not quote the post. The server will run faster with fewer quotes. Thank you.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

The studies that were done showed improved mood after one week. I felt considerably better after a week, too. Small improvements continue over time.

I posted the study summaries in the original thread that is now closed. It's somewhere in the first 5 or 6 pages.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #10
(male)

noto HB User

thanks for ur words i am so excited now! anything u want to add on to?

Last edited by noto; 07-05-2006 at 05:12 AM.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
(male)

noto HB User

i have been trying it on for 4 days already. on the 4th days, i can see a difference in me in sleeping better and "not so easily get fatigue". Hope to see more improvement as time goes especially anxiousity sweating. Been taking it 2x500 in the morning and 1x500 in the evening time. How do you think of such dosage?

Old 07-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: fish oil and antidepressants

it's fantastic and if it's working, keep doing it! I take it , too, and give it to my dogs. Fish oil is SUPERB for so many things

Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Hey noto. If it's Omega Joy you're speaking of, you probably don't need the 500mg at night. If it's helping your sleep routine, by all means, but the studies tried 4000mg of EPA per day and didn't find any better results than the group taking 1000mg per day. It won't hurt you but it will be cheaper to stick to 2 x 500 a day. I too tried to accelerate the process by taking extra when I first started and didn't notice anything other than drowsiness. So, yeah, the extra one at night would have a good sedating effect if desired. I'm happy for you that the shipment finally arrived. It's a great product.
Cheers.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
(male)

eatnow HB User

what kind of fish oil is this you're all speaking of? Is this the omega 3 pills? How safe is it to take? What is the dosage? I prefer not to take antidepression pills and i heard a lot of talk about how fish oil should help with mild depression.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

**ALL** fish oil supplements are omega 3's. Typical dose? 1,000 milligrams or one gram daily. Far as safety? I think it's unsafe not to take fish oil.
I had been taking Country Life Omega Fish Body Oils but just switched to
what you might call, "the latest" which is KriaXanthin Antarctic KRILL OIL.
1,000 mg per gelcap, it says to take 2 which I do. It also has vitamins A and E in it. I think Krill is a deep sea fish.
Some of this interest in fish oils is related to the Meditteranean diet (can't spell it) that utilizes a lot of fish. But those people also drink a lot of red wine that ALSO cleans out the arteries.
Many people don't eat any kind of fish.
I know two people, and this is probably irrelevant, that hate fish. ONe just had triple bypass surgery and the other has high blood pressure and high blood fats. They eat a lot of meat and pastries. One of them is on blood pressure medication. You'd think it would help, right? She goes to her dr. twice a year to get her BP checked. EVERY SINGLE TIME she goes, the doctor doubles her BP medication. Therefore, I have to think it isn't working. Fish oil somehow goes thru your arteries, mopping up the fats lining the walls that get clogged up with
mostly beef fats and dairy fats. It makes me nervous to think of having my arteries lined with thick fat, restricting blood flow, inviting a heart attack.
OF course, there are people with incredible genes who have eaten beef all their lives, rarely ate fish, and are over 90 . My ex MIL is 95. She uses a cane, is still home, but has always eaten tuna fish (which has gotten a bad rap lately involving mercury). Personally, I'd rather risk the mercury and cut way down on the beef fats by eating fish and fish oil caps.
I am sixty two and go to the doctor about once every eight years - by that time, I'm usually sick from something.
Another substance that is TERRIFIC to take for blood fats is garlic. Raw garlic cloves are most llikely the best source but most take deodorized garlic capsules. I use garlic a lot in cooking. Then, of course, is olive oil for cooking. It isn't cheap but how much is your health worth to you?
For depression, mild depression, I take tryptophan and fish oil.

Closed Thread