It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

ronniesteers HB User
Valerian Root or Melatonin?

Which is better for calming down and sleeping. If anyone has tried both and/or either I would appreciate feedback.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Re: Valerian Root or Melatonin?

ronniesteers, I've tried both and had no success, however I only tried the melatonin for a few nights and the valerian for only a couple nights. I figured if it was going to help me, it would have from the start. I'm interested to hear others feedback on this myself, since my sleep patterns are a joke. I can get to sleep quickly, but I will wake up after only an hour or two. After that the intervals get even shorter. The next day I feel sluggish.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniesteers
Which is better for calming down and sleeping. If anyone has tried both and/or either I would appreciate feedback.
I take melatonin drops every night about 30 minutes before going to sleep. It helps me go into a deep sleep and dream a lot.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

I don't like to take either regularly, but during periods when I was in Vegas for days on end and my sleep patterns were irregular, I found that taking a small handful of the valerian root capsules would not only relax me and put me to sleep, but get me flat out dizzy!

I used to also take Kava Kava occasionally but then I read that this had caused liver damage! so I threw away the bottle.

The melatonin - not sure if this works or not, but I have tried it. I might not be the right person to ask because in general I am not very hard to get to sleep, also because I have been clean and sober for many years from an addiction to narcotics, I hate to take anything to get me to sleep. I hate to take anything, period, other than vitamins, minerals and nutritional herbs and supplements.

One thing I have read - nothing works over the long term. The body builds up a tolerance. So, I think you are better off, if you use anything at all, using it rarely.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
(male)

brykc14 HB User

Ive been using Melatonin for about a month now and find it helps me. I work until 2am and Ive found that when I take it I get sleepy after about an hour compared to being up til 6 or 7 in the morning trying to fall asleep. It does make me a little groggy for the first few days but it does lesson over a few days.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
(female)

LaurieZ HB User

The Melatonin works great for me, but the key is taking the sublingual form. I tried the tablets once and they did nothing and then someone told me the sublingual works better.

Laurie

Old 07-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I swear by someting called "Deep Sleep" It's got valerian root,but also Calif Poppy ,chamomile, passionflower,lemon balm,milky oat seed,and orange peel.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #8

nightowl90024 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGn
ronniesteers, I've tried both and had no success, however I only tried the melatonin for a few nights and the valerian for only a couple nights. I figured if it was going to help me, it would have from the start. I'm interested to hear others feedback on this myself, since my sleep patterns are a joke. I can get to sleep quickly, but I will wake up after only an hour or two. After that the intervals get even shorter. The next day I feel sluggish.
I don't think melatonin is safe because it encourages your body to stop producing it's own melatonin, so it becomes a vicious cycle. Plus, it's a hormone. I used to take 2-3 hours to fall asleep, only to sleep poorly. Fish oil pills make the BIGGEST difference. Cured my headaches, too. I know everyone has different causes for their sleep, anxiety, headache, etc. problems, but I think for a lot of people (at least for me) they are all somewhat related/linked.

PS - the best fish oil I have tried is Vital Omegas. If you eat fish only do wild, not farmed fish (if it says Atlantic it is most likely farmed).

Closed Thread