It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
(male)

kmacdona HB User
Alpha Lipoic Acid

Does any one have any information regarding this supplement or results? Does anyone use it? I've read it's an antioxidant that helps protect cells and fight free radical along with eliminating toxins. I also read it helps people with diabetes, protects the kidneys and liver. But I don't know what to believe.

If anyone else has any more insight, let me kwow,

Thanks,
MaC

Old 11-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
(male)

kmacdona HB User
Re: Alpha Lipoic Acid

Well, I don't know if no news is good news...but I found this info through Google. In case anyone else is interested in the benefits of ALA:

(Please note, this is from web research and shouldn't be taken for medical fact)

Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) is an antioxidant that has been shown to decrease the amount of hepatic fibrosis associated with liver injury. Both of these mechanisms suggest it has promise for cirrhosis. Alpha-lipoic acid is considered to be the universal antioxidant. Because alpha-lipoic acid is fat-soluble, it can penetrate the cell membrane to exert therapeutic action. It has been shown to effectively scavenge harmful free radicals, chelate toxic heavy metals, and help to prevent mutated gene expression. Another of its most beneficial functions is to enhance the effects of other essential antioxidants including glutathione, which is vital to the health of the liver.

The effects of ALA have been studied in rats and mice. In studies in rats, when the rat liver was insulted with a chemical agent, dietary alpha-lipoic acid encouraged healing. Alpha-lipoic acid also demonstrated promise in the treatment of sepsis (a life-threatening infection). In septic mice, alpha-lipoic acid improved carbohydrate metabolism in liver cells by its effect on nitric oxide pathways.

The body can make some of its own lipoic acid, but most must be obtained from dietary sources, either from food or supplements. Dietary sources of alpha-lipoic acid include yeast, liver, and spinach, potatoes, and carrots. Unfortunately, the best sources of dietary alpha-lipoic acid are red meats, which also contain high levels of saturated fats, and it would require huge amounts of spinach to consume the amount of alpha-lipoic acid conveniently obtained from the supplementation of 1 capsule.

The Following User Says Thank You to kmacdona For This Useful Post:
melody627 (02-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Alpha-lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant -- used by itself and to recycle vitamins C & E. It does restore the antioxidant properties of both of these vitamins after they have done in free radicals.

From what I understand it moved through cells to do in free radicals brcause it is soluble in both fats as well as water.

I have read that it has been used for 30 years in Europe to help control blood sugar in diabetics and nerve degeneration.

Dr Lester Packer, Ph.D -- a leading CA reseacher and Professor at UC Berkley in his book indicates that it could play an improtant role in diseases like diabetes and heart problems. Reduces chlolesterol, helps detoxify the Liver of toxic metal pollutants. Protects nerves from stress caused by oxidation, and helps block cataracts.

I started using it daily since reading Dr. Packer's book. That was about 5 years ago because the body does not produce much of it and the foods that contain it -- I don't eat alot--

If you do much research into antioxidants -- you may come to the conclusion I have-- Your body needs more than you normally get or make!!

I wish you well~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 11-23-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
(male)

JonB523 HB User

R-Alpha Lipoic Acid, the R is important, is a very good anti oxident and helps with insulin control. I have used it as an anti-oxident, with good results, and friend who is diabetic, insulin dependent, has used it, and lowered his insulin intake.
Good luck.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi MaC,

ALA is a great supplements for many conditions, It's good for brain as it cross brain-barrier and not many antioxidants can do that!
It's good for vision too, and diabetes as well as neuropathy. The dose is 100mg to 300mg for all conditions but neuropathy require 600mg to 1,200mg.
If you are looking for a general dose take 100mg combined with a good multivitamin.
Some people can't tolerate taking ALA with food, they take it immediatly before meals. You know to try out and know what works for you!
Mike

Closed Thread