It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User
Provera-any natural remedies 4 progesterone def

Hello, went to the Dr for a period that went on for 12 days, stopped, started again for about a day and a half and appears to have stopped again.
Up until now I've had fairly normal periods unless you count the extreme pain and it's never excessively heavy(sometimes a little heavy in the first couple of hrs) other than that it's fine.
I've never been able to really find a good gynecologist. It's basically a crap shoot.
My chief complaint is that she didn't test my hormone levels. I've done some research online(there isn't alot about progesterone deficiency) that says sometimes progesterone is normal but estrogen may be high but the only way to know is to be tested. And if the body gets used to the man made stuff it has to have it rather than make it naturally.
MOst people consider me a health nut. I guess to a large degree I am. I'm not die hard against pharmaceutical meds but I want to make sure I can't avoid taking them.
I don't want to be worse off than when i started. And there are alot of side effects(serious ones) with provera. It is short term so maybe not as bad as if I took it long term but I feel it foolish not to consider them. The biggest one being increased risk of heart attack, stroke, blood clots(in the legs, eyes which can cause blindness) and less serious ones like headache, dizziness, PMS symptoms, tachycardia(which I already have and take medicine for and can be very serious), etc.
Since it's only for a few days I don't fear it as much as if I had to stay on the stuff but I do have family history of heart attack, stroke, clotting in the legs, high blood pressure, etc.

I'm 38 and a little young for menopause. BUT it's not a disease.

I would like to naturally rebalance my hormones without taking these synthetic things if possible. I'm not saying I absolutely won't take it because I can't tolerate two weeks of periods every month.
I read online that stress can affect your hormones. For the past few months I have been under a lot of stress. Lately it's been alot better but I did go through 6 different infections and as many antibiotics so I wondered if that could have had something to do with it. And on top of that I think I've developed a slight yeast infection. I don't normally get those. I usually get the bacterial infections but at the end of one run of antibiotics I started to notice symptoms and then the next time at the end of the antibiotics again. I didn't take anything bwcause I'm so susceptible to bacterial infections and the symptoms went away when I stopped the antibiotics but I still wonder if that could have affected me this month. I was a week late before the 12 day period and in the past I've been late if I had an infection. In the past I've also had problems with some abnormal bleeding if I had an infection which went away as soon as the infection did.

Found more info on estrogen than anything else. Read that soy helps balance estrogen.
Right now, with the exception of this abnormal period I'm doing pretty well. No hot flashes, nothing like that.
I know from past experiences of taking other meds for stuff that they almost always cause side effects which must be weighed against how badly I need it. My tachy med definitely caused some side effects when I first got on it and it took over a year for my body to adjust to it and I did better than lot of people I've read about but had to take it, had no choice, nothing else controlled heart rate and was dangerously high. Took meds for OCD and they made me feel awful and caused some horrible side effects. Alot of times even antibiotics cause side effects on me. Even some vitamin supplements will do it. I learned many years ago from taking something the Dr gave me that side effects can linger even after the dreadful pill is stopped and can take forever to get back on kilter and learned to pay attention to what I'm taking.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post. I can't find much about regulating progesterone naturally so if anyone knows of anything or where I might the info I'd much appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Re: Provera-any natural remedies 4 progesterone def

Sassygrrl,
My Periods were "off" for a good 5 or so Years.I took Provera 10 MG's the first 10 Day's of each Month.It was my "saver",but I didn't want to rely on something that was "Man made".I did lots of reading and what I did that finally helped me was:Changed my Diet.I cut out a lot of Bread,Red Meat,processed Foods,Sugar,started drinking a good quality Water,consuming lots of fresh raw Garlic,supplementing to fill in my Food gaps,sucked on Organic Australian Tea Tree/Cinnamon sticks and taking Cinnamon Bark Tincture.My Periods have been regular as clockwork ever since with no non-stop Bleeding (knock on Wood!!!).I'm 34 BTW and was Bleeding without ceasing starting at age 25.I have been told Chasteberry/Vitex is good for such problems.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

desiii HB User

Have you tried natural progesterone cream? It can't cause any major side effects and can really help if your progesterone is low.

I took synthetic progesterone (progestin) for years, and I'm paying the price for it even years after quitting. So athough some people have no problem with it, I will never recommend it to anyone.

Hormone balance, especially in women, is a difficult thing to measure and to balance. But one thing is for sure. Progesterone and Estrogen play a kind of tug-o-war. If estrogen is high, progesterone will be low. It's very unlikely for progesterone to ever be too high. But if it drops, estrogen will jump right in and take over.

Have you consulted a naturopath about this? They seem to know more than anyone else does. Western med doctors don't have anything but prescription hormones available to them, so they never really learn anything about how hormones really work.

Oh, and I always get yeast infections if I have to take antibiotics. Get a prescription anti-fungal (similar to Monostat, but stonger) cream to take for that. It's not something you want lingering over a long period of time. Whenever I have to take antibiotics I always ask for the anti-fungal prescription now too and I've never had a problem.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Desii and Sassygrrl,
I've read natural PremGest Cream,a low-Fat,high Fiber Diet for 2 Months,Multi-Vitamin Mineral supplements and Essential Fatty Acids that help metabolize excess Estrogen and balance Prostaglandin Hormones,Organic cold pressed Castor Oil packs on lower Abdomen at least 3 times per week for 60 minutes each time (shouldn't be used if Bleeding heavily),Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs,Meditation and Stress reduction and light Therapy are adviseable for DUB.Yeast Infections on and around Menstruating is usually caused by Immune system being "shot".I get them some.I just had one around this Month's Period.I used Organic Australian Tea Tree Oil Tampons,increased consumption of Garlic,drank good quality Water and did resort to 2 Diflucan Tablets and Gyne-Lotrimin.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Antiobiotics can really screw up your body. You should try taking probiotics before trying progestorone. Get a good quality probiotic. You'll probably have to take it for a couple of months since you had sooo many antiobiotics.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
(female)

ElleDi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alagaesia View Post
Antiobiotics can really screw up your body. You should try taking probiotics before trying progestorone. Get a good quality probiotic. You'll probably have to take it for a couple of months since you had sooo many antiobiotics.
That's interesting--- I didn't know that. I took antibiotics for 10 days and soon got an unscheduled period. I blamed my progesterone cream (bio identical) and cut my dosage down to 1/2. I now wonder if the mid-cycle period was due to the antibiotics??

Old 05-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I only take Provera for ten days every six months. I am sixty three and have taken Premarin for 25 years. I feel Provera is poison. But for ten days out of six mos it doesn't concern me. I take it in an attempt at sloughing off the uterine lining. I am heavily into alternative medicine, as a consumer, also. I"ve been successful and read a lot about it. I had a bad candida attack 3 days ago and spent day #1 in bed, very weak w/a stomach ache. I started taking grapefruit seed extract capsules every 5 hours. Today I feel terrific.
Yesterday, I was much better, up and around, but slightly tired. You can buy progesterone creams to rub on your wrist every day,I like the Emerita brand. I have no idea if the cream is as strong as provera but it's safe with no side effects.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Soy is incredibly controversial. I think there are just as many claims as to its dangers as to its benefits. At this point, I'm not getting crazy and swearing it off completely but I AM avoiding it.

Wild yam is often used in natural progesterone cream. I'm thinking about starting to research some brands myself and plan to talk to my acupuncturist/herbalist about balancing hormones next visit. I was recently diagnosed with MS and I don't think it's a coincidence that my symptoms became active now that I'm peri-menopausal.

Closed Thread