It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Herbal supplement to increase sex drive?

Has anyone here tried a herbal supplement called 'Hot Plants for her' to boost their sex drive? If so, did it work for you? How long did it take before it started to work? Any side effects? Sorry for all questions, I'm just really frustrated. I just got off an antidepressant that I was on for eight years and it really lowered my sex drive to basically nothing. I was taking saw palmetto extract for a few years and it really worked good for me. I know, I know, it's for men with prostate problems, but I've read that it helps women with libido problems. It helped me for quite a long while and now it doesn't work anymore. Now my sex drive is pretty much MIA. Anyway, if anyone has any feedback on the 'Hot Plants' or anything else that worked for them I'd appreciate it. TIA

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-14-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Herbal supplement to increase sex drive?

I am curious...are you also on birth control pills? Because those did a number on my libido, even worse than the antidepressants did (I've been off those about 1.5 years and BCPs for about 9 months). The only thing that helped me was getting off the pill.

If you're not on the pill, it might work. I searched that product and did notice it contains maca, which is supposed to boost the sex drive in both men & women. I don't know if it works or not, but I am trying maca (just ordered some online) to help with some hormonal/period problems. My sex drive is much better now that I'm off the pill but still nothing like I remember beforehand, so it would be nice if the maca helps with that too.

I have also used Damiana in the past, that helped the sex drive some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, thanks for the reply. No, I'm not bcps anymore. The last one I was on (Brevicon) I stopped taking it April of last year. I was only on it for two months. I didn't have any sex drive problems on it, but it made me gain weight, so I quit it. However, I have taken bcps in the past that killed my libido, but none recently. I've been off of the antidepressant for going on two months now. I've heard you mention the Damiana in other posts. I actually was just searching the web about it. I'm seriously considering that one, because I'm familiar with it and it sounds like it might actually work. I guess I'm just a little concerned about this 'Hot Plants' stuff because it contains herbs I've never heard of. The lady at the vitamin store suggested it to me and seemed to think it was good. I haven't started taking it, though, I want to do more research first. I'm very sensitive to side effects. Also, I'm hoping I didn't just waste my money seeing that I paid $25 for a month supply. I'll probably just end up taking it back and exchanging it for Damiana. It's not that expensive, is it?

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-14-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I'm not sure how much I paid for the Damiana; I think it was $6 or $7 online. They probably sell it at health food stores too and places like GNC.

I'm curious about the Hot Plants for Her...I think it could work because of the maca it contains though I'm not sure what the other ingredients do. If you do try it, I'd be curious to know your results.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I've decided I'm going to take the plunge and try the Hot Plants. I've been reading that this maca stuff is supposed to be so great. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens.

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-16-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've heard of that stuff. Is it something that you can take every day and it just works? Or, do you have to take it an hour or so before having sex for it to work? If it's the latter, it seems like I'd have to 'plan' to have sex, and for me, that takes the fun right out of it. I like to just get busy on a whim.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-11-2007 at 01:07 AM.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay, thanks. The Hot Plants made me depressed so I stopped taking it. I'm already prone to depression so I don't need that. It had too many 'calming herbs' in it I guess. I've been taking something called Damiana for a few weeks. It's helping some, but it could be better. Maybe I'll try the Horny Goat Weed. Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I've had luck with DHEA and Maca, but I half the recommended dose. Too much makes me grouchy and mean ( kind of defeats the objective )

Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, the Hot Plants has Maca and about four other 'relaxation' herbs in it and it made me depressed so I quit taking it. I just started taking Dong Quai so we'll see what that does.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-29-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
(female)

vespagirl HB User

I have been drinking this herbal drink called Fever. It has a mixture of libido boosting herbs. Maybe that could be something to try. It hit me the next day after I drank it.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-24-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: product names are allowed - website names are not

Old 06-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Any others? So far, I've tried: Damiana, Dong Quai, Maca, and Ginkgo Biloba (yes, strange, but I've read that it can help with this) all to no avail. I've also taken Saw Palmetto extract in the past. It worked very well for a while. However, it got to be too expensive for the amount I was having to take. It also made me eat like a horse! I just started taking something called Tribulus. It's supposed to help with the sex drive in men and women. Can anyone give me any insight? TIA

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-17-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Anybody at all??

Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

goldstar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Anybody at all??
Have you tried ginseng? This has worked for a number of people that I know. It does come in capsule form and tea form. The best is Korean ginseng in tea form. Sometimes it is hard to find but if you have a China town in your area they should have it there. Golden Seal is also good for women and come in small vials. Not great tasting but has some great affects. Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, thanks for the reply! Sorry I couldn't post right away, I've been away for a few days. Anyway, I decided to ditch the Tribulus because I heard it can increase the testoserone alot and make you hairy, not good at all being I'm a female. I decided to give the ginseng a whirl, I just bought some today. I was reading up on it and I read that it can have insomnia, anxiety, or irritability as side effects. I really hope it doesn't affect me this way, I suffer from anxiety anyway. The guy at the health store recommended one that had both the 'hot' and 'cool' ginseng in it. He said that it's the 'hot' one that usually causes insomnia, but with the two combined that should balance things out so that shouldn't happen. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-30-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Update: I had to discontinue the ginseng because it was making my eye twitch really bad. Kind of a bummer because it was working a little, oh well. So, I just started taking the saw palmetto extract again. I took it before when I was on the meds (Prozac) and had to take four to six pills a day just to be interested! Hopefully, though, now that I'm off the meds (over six months now), I won't have to take so much.

Last edited by kittywitty; 08-21-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Closed Thread