It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
(female)

katolb90 HB User
Re: Need alternative for blood pressure med

I'm pulling for you Bethybug. I know how miserable those high blood pressure drugs can be. I had mild hypertension and actually wanted to try medication to control it. Once I had the medication, I actually felt considerably worse. Keep exercising, try to eat right, when your BP stabilizes, try to SLOWLY wean your way off the meds and try something natural. I now use Calcium/Magnesium supplements and they keep it down fairly well. Good luck

Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
(female)

boots4me HB User

I can appreciate your dilema. I've never wound up in at ER, thank God. I told of my experiences with bp med on another thread and improvements to bp since I quit benicar. One of the worst things that happened to me is my heart rate had been consistently around 100 for three years (started on high dose of cozaar) and I look like I've aged 10 years. Ekg a year ago dr says shows the right side of my heart is working too hard for lack of oxygen because of my smoking and that's why my heart rate is fast (really?) My heart rate has gone back to normal - 70's - since quitting benicar. and I'm still smoking. (not proud of it) I've quit three times but it didn't slow the pulse.
If I quit for good and that takes bp down, I should be able to get off all meds.

I'm taking hawthorn, but also taking L-arginine and L-ornithine caps. I've run out of the aminos and bp is a little higher, so those help too. I wouldn't think trying the aminos would hurt and might be a start for you.

The one before benicar caused post-menopausal bleeding (at 65). Dr refused to believe it was the drug. I searched the internet until I found a study done at a hospital in Sidney that proved it.

I've taken herbs for 30 years and always had great success, but never considered hawthorn and didn't have faith in it, and high bp scared me. That's why I fell in the the trap I wound up in. People who can take these meds and don't have problems are lucky, but they're poison to some. I guess drs try to do the best they can with what they have to work with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
(female)

JMG67 HB User

The only ACE I tried was Lotensin (low dose), and after taking it for two weeks out of absolutely nowhere I developed severe Angioedema (swelling of the face, throat, etc.) There were no warning signs. At first I thought I was having a food allergy, because I didn't tie it to the drug. I went to an after-hours clinic where they gave me an EPI pen shot, inhaler, antihistamine, and a steroid. They sent me home with 20 mg of daily prednisone. The next morning I took my prednisone, but by the afternoon I was having full blown symptoms again (pressure on the face left side and nose, feeling like I was being choked and that I had a ball pressing on the front of my throat. You can feel the swelling start and increase). Called my internist who informed me that it sounded like an angioedema reaction to the Lotensin. I had to rush to the ER. I am off the Lotensin obviously and have been on a heavy dose of prednisone and antihistamines since but it's been a solid week, and I'm still suffering with the swelling (and heavy burping and light rash on my chest), especially after ingesting anything even water. My doctor said it may take another week. What's interesting to note is that when I went to the ER and clinic, neither could actually see the swelling. I refuse to try any other ACE based on my experience and also because I am just so chemically sensitive to meds. I will just ramp up my exercise and continue to watch what I eat (my BP was border-line high, but I only have one kidney).

Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

Please get Dr Sherry Roger's book "The High Blood Pressure Hoax". She shares great information on supplements that help your bp. Hawthorn is highly important. Make sure you are not overweight and that you are taking a brisk 30 minute walk daily. Do not eat processed foods (canned/carryout/frozen etc) as they are high in sodium. Eat loads of raw fresh fruits for breakfast. If you can go vegetarian that would be great. Eat loads of vegetables and juice some every day (I juice carrots/parsley/red chard/celery/beets etc and always add a red delicious apple to sweeten it). Get Kyolic garlic (I use the liquid and I put some in my juice every day but you can use capsules) Buy raw shelled walnuts and eat a 1/4cup daily. Magnesium is very important for hbp but not magnesium oxide, its the cheap stuff and won't help. Get the book to get some guidance. I was dx with hbp many years ago but have followed the above and am not on meds. anneh

Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
(female)

Kittekat HB User

Your recommendations on the use of alternative medicine for HP will be of great help. I have tried to find a natural remedy but without success. About 2002 my problem started after a serious illness and a lot of stress the following year. At first the medication was successful, 5mg enalapril maleate, then 10mg and currently 20mg. Recently I heard a discussion on the radio on the benefits of Siberian Pine Nut oil and will give it a go. I have to cope with a lot of stress, maybe a remedy for this can do the trick. I am excited about the wonderful suggestions I found in this Board. Thanks to all in the thread, this was great reading.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kittekat For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-09-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #21
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

I forgot to mention most important is Hawthorn. You can get it in a tincture at hfs or in a solid extract or capsules and drink Hibiscus tea. Never heard of the Siberian Pine nut stuff, often read different ideas but frankly I stick to the tried and true ones Get the books asap anneh

Last edited by moderator2; 04-27-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anneh For This Useful Post:
Pat Texas (08-28-2011), sjb (05-09-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
(female)

Kittekat HB User

Thanks for this info will certainly try Hawthorn.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #23
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi foods which increase vitamin b1 and niacin may help by dialating the blood vessels and bringing the pressure down. Lots of fruits, grains, vegetables, beans twice a week an a spare amount of nuts may be good. Animal products, especially meat need to be kept to a minimum.A daily walk in sunshine and fresh air may also help dialate blood vessels, keep any extra weight off and help clear blood vessels of any fat from animal products or from hydrogenated foods. Snacking of course aught to be avoided. Added sugars and fats add to blood pressure difficulties. The kidneys need good foods for them. Plenty of water needs to be taken in for the body weight. All the bad substances such as alcohol, tobacco, food additives need avoiding. Plenty of rest at night is important, a good 8 hours is said to be good. Plenty of work needs to be done and sedentary habits need to be avoided in the opinion of some. Some herbs are said to be good for blood pressure. Peace.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #24
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Thank you for this great information. I am sensitive to all meds that have been prescribed for hbp and am looking for alternatives that work.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there is a whole book on the subject of lowering blood pressure the natural way. I think it included some herbs garlic, exercise,sunshine and natural lifestyle things.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #26
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Hi sjb, I would love to know the name of the book that you are referring to.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
(male)

maxido HB User

on my side guys i'd like a person to prescribe a routine for me for a day to day from herbs to food eg monday at 6:00 do this and that up to 20: 00 until eg sleep at 21: 30 . i belive that no body likes the drugs we'd all prefer the natural way: BE WARNED THAT SOME HERBS MAY INTERFERE WITH THE FUNCTIONING OF THE KIDNEYS WHICH MAY END UP GIVING YOU MORE PROBLEMS. it is importamt to know the MECHANISM OF A HERB ie how it lowers the blood presuure

i'm currently taking prexum plus and my pressore is well controlled (according to the doctor) but i want to use the natural way. i'm on a low salt and low fat dietfor now.

Closed Thread