It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

silverandgold HB User
Question Oil Pulling

Has anyone else heard of this? It seems to have made it's way out there as the latest new alternative healing modality....though supposedly it has been around for thousands of years.

Basically all it entails is swishing a tablespoon of a cold-pressed oil (sunflower, olive, etc.) around in your mouth every morning for 10-20 minutes. People have reported it has helped with everything from tooth problems to softening the soles of the feet.

In any event, I figured there is no harm whatsoever in trying this, so I've been doing it for a few days already (without any noticeable effects).

Now, I am very open minded when it comes to alternative medicine, yet I can't help but feel like a bit of a gullible gus while swishing my oil around every morning! hahaha. I have read such convincing testimonials, however, that it encourages me to keep going to see if it really does indeed do anything.

Anyone else ever try this??

Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

Juby HB User
Re: Oil Pulling

I've been reading about this too. I decided to give it a try but had to resort to using coconut oil because of a queasy stomach. Have only been doing it for a couple of days, and haven't made it longer than five minutes each time so I can't say if it's doing anything or not. I'm usually willing to try things that I don't think would be harmful because I've seen a lot of home remedies that did work.
I too feel silly doing this, and both times that I got the oil in my mouth the phone rang!! I let the answering machine pick up and called back. Only me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

Bob2 HB User

I have never heard of this. One thing I would say is I don't think coconut oil is a good idea. Isn't it a saturated fat oil? Something I have been doing for a long time, but don't know if it is worth the little bit of effort is to put a drop of emu oil on my tooth brush every time I brush my teeth. Reputedly, it is supposed to make your gums more healthy. Perhaps someone will comment on this.

Last edited by Bob2; 04-27-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

silverandgold HB User

haha...love the story of the phone ringing when you got oil in your mouth. Figures, right? Well, I stopped the oil swishing. I honestly didn't see any benefits to it and it felt like a big waste of time. I really don't think it would hurt at all since you're not swallowing the oil, but I didn't get any benefit from it either. However, coconut oil is supposed to have some very positive health benefits (don't know exactly what they are off the top of my head..) but a lot of people DO ingest it for health reasons. There are all kinds of articles and website dedicated to it.

Interesting about the Emu oil on the toothbrush though - I haven't heard of that before.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Just make sure that you spit the oil into the toilet as it is then toxic from the bacteria that has been removed from your mouth. I could only do it for 5 of the 20 recommended minutes because the oil made me queasy as well. But I have heard many good reports from others who swear by it.

Closed Thread