It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Bitter melon... any one have experience or knowledge?

Hello

About a month ago, I was in this great, huge farmer's market while on a trip. I saw this odd vegetable that looked kind of like okra. I asked the vendor about it... he said it was bitter melon. We talked a bit and he said it is often used in Asia for diabetes. I bought a quater pound and hubby cooked it for me. What a pain to prepare! Chuckles. Peel off the outer layer of the small vegetable and then slice it. Then cook in water with some spices. We used some soy sauce and pepper. Man, it IS bitter. I ate a few pieces a day.

Now I looked a bit on line and think I can actually buy it a a healthfood store near home as a capsule. I am considering using it to get and keep my blood gloucose down.

Anyone else have anything they can share about this bitter melon?

Thanks
reachout

Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Talking Re: Bitter melon... any one have experience or knowledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachout View Post
Hello

About a month ago, I was in this great, huge farmer's market while on a trip. I saw this odd vegetable that looked kind of like okra. I asked the vendor about it... he said it was bitter melon. We talked a bit and he said it is often used in Asia for diabetes. I bought a quater pound and hubby cooked it for me. What a pain to prepare! Chuckles. Peel off the outer layer of the small vegetable and then slice it. Then cook in water with some spices. We used some soy sauce and pepper. Man, it IS bitter. I ate a few pieces a day.

Now I looked a bit on line and think I can actually buy it a a healthfood store near home as a capsule. I am considering using it to get and keep my blood gloucose down.

Anyone else have anything they can share about this bitter melon?

Thanks
reachout
I am so happy you've discovered this fruit. My husband bought a supplement whose major ingredient is bitter melon in capsule form. It lowered his glucose 50 points in one day!!! It was very expensive but well worth it. I am buying bitter melon now over the internet along with fenugreek, another ingredient in the expensive glucose lowering formula. I really love it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Re: Bitter melon... any one have experience or knowledge?

Susan......................what are the other ingredients besides the bitter melon?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

hi, fenugreek and about ten I can't pronounce. Think bacopa is another. I don't believe it's CURABLE but it lowers your glucose so fast you can't believe your eyes! (or meter reading). It's a centuries old India formulation of herbs. The bitter melon, of course, is Only bitter melon, also known as Karela which is a town in India.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-24-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: posting any kind of information to find a website is cause to be banned

Old 05-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Thanks ....Susan.......for the info. I will look it up.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
(female)

Frozen HB User

My Filipino FIL drinks bittermelon tea for his diabetes. It's just part of his routine. I like bittermelon in soup.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Guys

I am so psyched by your responses... just can't even tell you! I thought this was a dead thread and here it pooped up today as I was scrolling down the board sites.

I will not have my blood tested until mid june, but I'm eagerly waiting to find out how this has been working for me. I was able to get my sugar counts low enough that my doctor actually took me completely off Tricor (long story). Anyway, it is since then that I started using the Bitter Melon. I really hope those numbers make a significant change! Oh! You have given me so much HOPE.

many thanks
reachout

Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I'm So happy you have hope but I would not rely on bitter melon alone. If you Must, take two. Can you buy some fenugreek too? The more glucose lowering herbs, the better I think.
I can't wait to hear your results. My husband takes Actos also; bitter melon alone? I don't know about that.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Susan

I am hanging on to your words here. I do take other supplements for various reasons, but only the bitter melon for the diabetes. I will wait until my bloodtests in 3 weeks and decide then what else I might do. I have changed my diet to a great degree and am moving about much more... hoping all these things will also be reflected in those numbers.

Thank you again
reach

Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
(female)

poneystenson HB User

Bitter melon is beneficial to many ailment and diseases. I'd like to share my experience of making bitter melon as part of my diet in Chinese eating culture.

First I do not recommend taking Bitter melon capsules. Capsules do not give you fiber. Moreover you won't be fully beneficial from bitter melon, which contains elements that are good for your body. I personally don't like the idea of making everything into a pill.

Chinese has turned bitter melon into many delicious dishes. Here are some examples:

- Fired sliced bitter melon with scramble egg.
- Fired beef with sliced bitter melon
- Bitter melon juice (you can add some honey if you want).

If you find the bitter melon too bitter, you can rinse it in cold water a couple of times before you fry it.

Hope it helps!

Closed Thread