It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User
Question about buyin supplements

im already taking a mutl vitamin, milled flax seed oil, and fish oil. normally i just buy them at CVS/walgreens either the nature's bounty or store brand. i was lookin to get some more supplements <removed>

i want to purchase

-biotin
-saw palmetto
-tea tree oil (liquid)
-oregano oil (liquid)
-coral calcium

now, is there anything particular i should look for in any of these or should they be fine? also, is it bad to take too many supplements.

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-29-2007 at 02:27 AM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

desiii HB User
Re: Question about buyin supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdganggoonies View Post
im already taking a mutl vitamin, milled flax seed oil, and fish oil. normally i just buy them at CVS/walgreens either the nature's bounty or store brand. i was lookin to get some more supplements <removed>

i want to purchase

-biotin
-saw palmetto
-tea tree oil (liquid)
-oregano oil (liquid)
-coral calcium

now, is there anything particular i should look for in any of these or should they be fine? also, is it bad to take too many supplements.

<removed>
I have a few comments.

First, tea tree oil (melaleuca) is not generally something to be ingested, and in fact can make you sick. It's fantastic for many many topical uses including fighting bacteria and even viruses. But be very careful about putting any in your mouth.

Second, there are certain interactions that can be harmful. So do be careful to research interactions between various supplements and drugs. For instance, there are certain things that are good to take with calcium, such as vitamin D and magnesium. However, calcium hinders the absorbtion of many other vitamins and minerals (such as C and the B vitamins). So to really get your moneys worth it's better to take them at different times of the day. And yes, there are certain minerals and vitamins that you can overdose on and become very sick. Research is very important.

Some have found coral calcium to be highly effective for them, and some have found other kinds digetst better and work better for them. So that's a trial and error situation. Personally, I have found that powdered and liquid vitimins digest much more effectively and give me more energy. That's something to consider as well.

It's not a bad idea to ask questions at your local health food store. Generally the staff is pretty well trained to answer your questions and help guide you to the things you're looking for.

Last edited by desiii; 11-30-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User

i bought the tea tree oil for acne, acne scars, blemishes to apply topically

Old 12-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Regarding the saw palmetto, look for the extract type. It's stronger than the berry type and might work faster for you, it did for me anyway. For the biotin, look for the 5 mg (5000 mcgs) one.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-01-2007 at 01:25 AM.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User

wow that was fast....got my stuff shipped to me already

yea i got the 5mg biotin one

im gonna start off with takin the oregano oil for parasites and the biotin/saw palmetto for my hair. i was told pantothenic acid is the same as the vitamin b5 that cures acne. is this true?

i heard takin too many supplements can harm your liver

Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
(female)

desiii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdganggoonies View Post
i bought the tea tree oil for acne, acne scars, blemishes to apply topically
OK, great. It's helpful for all those things. The key to look for is the higher concentrations of tea tree oil. That way you're getting higher quality product with fewer fillers. I've used it for acne and find it is helpful. It can be a little more costly, but it's worth it.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

stephanie867 HB User

If your skin is sensitive, try mixing a few drops of the tea tree oil with a moisturizer. I put a few drops of Oil of Olay (the only moisturizer I've ever found that doesn't make me break out) in my palm, then add 5 or 6 drops of tea tree oil. I found that the oil alone was too strong for my skin.

Closed Thread