It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
Anyone have good knowledge of probiotics?

I recently broke out in a non-itchy rash all over my chest, abdomen, upper thighs and a little on my arms, and I assumed it was from the antibiotic (Azithromycin) that my doctor prescribed for Lyme, because the rash occurred exactly a week after I started the antibiotic. I was also taking chewable Acidophilus but I ran out a few days into the antibiotic treatment and started taking a product called Jarodophilus that I had in my freezer. The day after I took the first Jarodophilus was the day the rash started to occur.

I stopped taking the antibiotic and everything else the very day the rash occurred, and the very next day the rash had gotten much better. I stayed off everything through the weekend and the rash was almost gone, so last night I took a Jarodophilus while getting ready for bed. About an hour later I noticed the rash was back. My upper thighs, abdomen and chest had a red, blotchy rash and there were a bunch of red spots on my arms. Now I'm wondering if this particular brand of probiotics is the problem for me.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have an allergic reaction of sorts to a particular probiotic? I've only ever taken acidophilus, and usually one billion organisms or less. Jarodophilus is 8 different species of bacteria and is high potency (something like 6 billion). Could this have caused me to break out in a rash?

Thanks for any insight you can share!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Anyone have good knowledge of probiotics?

anything is possible. I would definitely stop taking the Jarodophilus and see what happens. After the rash is completely gone, i might try it again then. I take ultraflora by Metagenics. The antibiotic is still probably in your system. I would also call the doctor and let them know

Old 11-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I get that little rash a few days after I am on certain antibiotics. It just happened to me today so I held off on the antibiotic today. It's quite frustrating to get it all figured out.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

alltaurus HB User

Just a note for you because taking an antibiotic you are allergic to can be deadly. I found out I was allergic to bactrim after my five day regiman had passed.

The day after I took my last pill I broke out in a rash everywhere. I didn't associate it with the antibiotic because I had already taken it for five days and was done with it.

My doc said it was the antibiotic and I should NEVER take it again as the effects can be worse or even deadly the next time.

I would consult your doc.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

that is what happened to me. I was on a 10 day course of bactrim and the day after the last dose i broke out in a rash head to toe

Old 12-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
(female)

craftygirl3 HB User

I look for probiotics with bulgaris in them as the bulgaris seats the rest into the digestive tract.

also if I need a serious course of probiotics, I get the long chain sugars. FOS, that is what the probiotics eat and it doesn't feed the bad, only the good. I find it works better for me.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
(female)

tatsu15 HB User

Coconut oil is great for the intestines.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
(female)

katolb90 HB User

I think anything is possible when you talk about supplements that directly affect the digestive system. I do take Jarro myself and I don't have a problem with it, but I have had a problem with a couple of others I have had. Not a rash, but more flu/cold like symptoms.

Closed Thread