It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
(male)

GregJ HB User
Acupuncture questions

I wanted to know if there were guidelines for how frequently one can receive acupuncture treatments and still gain full effect of each individual treatment. In other words, if one was to receive Wed, Thurs, and Sat each week, would they get the full bang for their buck from Wednesday's treatment when going the very next day? Thanks.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
(male)

John8020 HB User
Re: Acupuncture questions

Seeing as the main component of accupuncture is the placebo effect i'd say you're good to get it as many times as you think is allowed.

Accupuncture isn't worth the money though, in my opinion. My opinion alone shouldn't be enough to persuade you, but i would recommend looking up some unbiased info on accupuncture. I've looked into it from a scientific stand point and have not seen a single peer reviewed study to show accupuncture as being any more effective than a simple placebo.

But then again, i suppose if they have relaxing music and the sort, you're still paying for that placebo... sometimes that's pretty good. Regardless, i've never heard anyone say that you can have too much accupuncture, so go crazy if you want.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

stephanie867 HB User

You should absolutely try it. Just because there's no scientific evidence means absolutely nothing. Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years and has been proven to work...just because scientists don't understand it doesn't mean a thing.

Homeopathy also can't be proven scientifically, but it has helped many members of my family where chemical-laden drugs haven't been able to do a thing.

As far as how often, only an acupuncturist would be able to tell you that. My guess is it would be based on your condition.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
(female)

craftygirl3 HB User

I have been seeing a acupuncturist for 4 months now and I go weekly as I can afford it. I have TN and the best western medicine can offer is meds that make me sick or crazy and PM, or cut the cranial nerve.
with the acupuncture, and the chinese herbs. and cupping, and scraping to get out the excess heat, and the cranial sacral work, along with the oils (frankincense, and one with dragons blood) and the TENS unit, and some other things (massage, reiki, and crystal therapy, and homeopathic drugs) I am living my life again. it is not cheap, but the alternative will cost me my life and I believe that.
western medicine is great for somethings, and not for others. it was my PCP that referred me to my acupuncturist. that means my western dr referred me to my chinese acupuncturist/herbalist.
so, who's to say? it is a personal decision. one I am grateful that I made.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

kellibear HB User

i agree acupunture does work for some. homeopathic remedies are so diluted that they end up just being water--definitely just a placebo effect.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I became so much of a believer in Acupuncture that I purchased my own Acupuncture Stimulator, the KWD-808-I, six years ago. I haven't used the needles, only the self-sticking electro-patches. I also purchased some Acupuncture software, that explains the different points and meridians/channels; what they do, and when to treat them.

My first encounter with Acupuncture was through my wife, around 35 years ago. When younger, she had ear surgery to rebuild her ear drum, and she suffered from headaches 24 hours each day, every day, since the surgery. The pain would move all over her head, sometimes worse, sometimes better, but always there. It would travel down into her neck, arm and hand. Nothing would help. Pain pills would diminish her headaches, but nothing really helped.

Until...... we heard of an experimental pain program, through the University of Miami, where they were researching Acupuncture and it's applications for the treatment pain.

We got an appointment, not knowing what to expect. While waiting in the waiting room, an elderly gentlemen came in and sat down next to us. We wondered why he was there. He looked and seemed fine and not to be in any discomfort. We started a conversation and learned that, originally he came into the pain clinic in a wheel chair. He couldn't walk because of the crippling pain. He was now without pain. Needless to say, he was very happy!

That really gave us hope! Was it possible that the many years of pain that my wife had suffered, could be helped a little? Perhaps a treatment or two could take some of the edge off the pain?

The doctor that we saw was very enthusiastic. He said that there were so many things that could be effectively treated with Acupuncture, but his project was limited to only applications of pain. He said, for almost all "treatable" ailments, it took no more than three treatments, and most of the time it just took an initial treatment and a booster treatment a week later.

She had a total of two treatments, and the pain has been gone for 35 years, never to have come back again!

I have had a limited success using my KWD-808-I Acupuncture Stimulator over the past six years. In fact, after trying many times, for different ailments, the only help I had gotten from it was relief of some sinus problems.

So...... it's basically been sitting for a year or so. Until now! I just had an amazing experience, relieving my neck, shoulder and back discomfort, which I will post about shortly as a separate post. This post is too long, as it is!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-23-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
(male)

alks456 HB User

Just can confirm, (total amazement to read about it as placebo in 21-th century(!!), acupuncture can do a lot in experienced hands (myself practicing Su-jok version and this helps not only for headaches but also for stroke, diabetes and even aplastic anemia), the schedule is to be determined by a doctor.
Sometimes everyday sessions for not severe disorders, and once in 3 days for things like brain trauma or optic nerve degeneration.

Last edited by alks456; 02-04-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Closed Thread