It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Bioidentical hormone creams

I am just getting ready to start a biodentical hormone cream. I will be getting testosterone and progesterone in mine. I am almost completely depleted of both. Has anyone has success with it? Any thoughts about it at all good or bad? I would appreciate your thoughts. I am 44 and going through perimenopause. Thanks for replies!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Bioidentical hormone creams

Hi there, TEdds83 :-), we've talked before on the hormone related boards. So, they put progesterone and testosterone together in one cream? I've never heard of that. I always thought that they were two separate creams. I order a bioidentical progesterone cream off the internet called Oasis Serene. It works very well and I don't seem to experience any major side effects. I have noticed a slight vaginal itching on the outside (sorry if TMI) since I've been using it, though. But I'll take that over the horrible vertigo and depression the last cream gave me. Anyway, I've been using Oasis since January. I feel much better as far as no more mood swings, depression, or heart palpitations. I'm still having aches and pains, loss of muscle mass, no sex drive, and hair loss, though. The first three are probably related to my testosterone still being low. Hopefully the hair loss will stop the longer I'm on the progesterone. My hair is thin and my scalp shows a bit, it's so devastating :-(. I did find a doctor near me that I think does the saliva testing. I just have to call and make an appointment. I read on one website that insurance will cover it if the doctor 'renders' the test, whatever that means. I'm most likely going to need testosterone cream as well and I'm really scared of any possible 'manly' side effects. Keep me posted on how it works for you.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-27-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Kittywitty! Thanks for the reply! I think since my testosterone is almost 0. Like 17 or 19 instead 300 to 2000 I think....she feels pretty safe putting me on that too. At least to we get me up there in the normal range. I am not even close. I have no sex drive, no energy, hair loss as well as many other symptoms. I am willing to try anything. Regular doctors try to say there is no proof that we need these hormones. ha! What a crock! They are extremely imortant. Only a male would be so ignorant. I felt like saying to the doctor who isn't wanting to help me....what would you do if your wife didn't want to have sex with you at all??! LOL! Maybe then he would be getting anything for her to try.

I thought the pharmacist said she would be putting the creams in one...but maybe they will be separate. I will let you know. I should get them by the end of the week! Hurrah!

Stay in touch! Thanks for letting me know about the other product that you are on. I will keep that in mind.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, you're welcome. Yeah, believe it or not a lot of men I talk to don't even know women have testosterone. Guess they think the estrogen alone fuels our drive. Well, my cream is pricey at $55/mo. so hopefully yours is cheaper. I'll probably just keep using it, though, until it stops working. Sort of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm so sensitive to everything (groan).

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

A question for ya. Do you get itchy skin at all? Like are you sensative to products? Creams? Perfumes? etc... or even things you eat? I have had allergies all my life, but at age 44 I seem to have gotten more allergies. I mean half the time I am afraid to eat anything new or put any new lotions on for fear of hives or itchy skin. I have even gotten a few zits like things at the base of my skull that make me itch. I think the come on hormonally every couple of months. This is just driving me nuts.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, my skin does get dry and itchy, but I think that's more due to my low testosterone. I haven't broken out so far from the cream. I've had sensitive skin all my life, though, mostly allergies to facial scrubs. However, I have noticed that over the past six months I do seem to be sneezing more. I've read that hormonal imbalances can bring about allergies.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
(female)

jill60 HB User

Kittywitty,
I get 250mg of T. pellets & i have no manly effects what so ever!

Jill
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Hi there, TEdds83 :-), we've talked before on the hormone related boards. So, they put progesterone and testosterone together in one cream? I've never heard of that. I always thought that they were two separate creams. I order a bioidentical progesterone cream off the internet called Oasis Serene. It works very well and I don't seem to experience any major side effects. I have noticed a slight vaginal itching on the outside (sorry if TMI) since I've been using it, though. But I'll take that over the horrible vertigo and depression the last cream gave me. Anyway, I've been using Oasis since January. I feel much better as far as no more mood swings, depression, or heart palpitations. I'm still having aches and pains, loss of muscle mass, no sex drive, and hair loss, though. The first three are probably related to my testosterone still being low. Hopefully the hair loss will stop the longer I'm on the progesterone. My hair is thin and my scalp shows a bit, it's so devastating :-(. I did find a doctor near me that I think does the saliva testing. I just have to call and make an appointment. I read on one website that insurance will cover it if the doctor 'renders' the test, whatever that means. I'm most likely going to need testosterone cream as well and I'm really scared of any possible 'manly' side effects. Keep me posted on how it works for you.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, that's great to hear! What are 'pellets', though? I've never heard of them. Are they like pills? I don't want to take pills because I'm told that they have to pass through the liver first and therefore have a greater chance of side effects.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
(female)

Mstic1 HB User

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I just finished reading John Lee's book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" (there is also one for Peri-Menopause). WOW! He explains it all!

I would HIGHLY recommend reading this book (if you haven't already).

I have learned so much about hormones and bioidentical creams than all the reading I've done on the internet. He really dives deep into what hormones are, how to use the creams, etc.

It's a wonderful tool for all of us to have that are going thru this.

Take care,
Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-29-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I got my creams today. I am starting the first dose tonight. I really hope it all goes well. I know it will take awhile to see how it works. Adjustments may have to be made. I am always a bit afraid to start something new, but I just have to trust that this is the right they to do.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
(female)

jill60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Wow, that's great to hear! What are 'pellets', though? I've never heard of them. Are they like pills? I don't want to take pills because I'm told that they have to pass through the liver first and therefore have a greater chance of side effects.
Kittywitty,
The pellets are about the size of a grain of rice, they come in Estrogen & Testosterone. A small incesion is made in my hip & the pellets are placed in there. I was taking 37.5 mg of Estratest daily, The first Estrogen pellet I got was 37.5mg which last 3 to 5 months, so 37.5 spread out over 3 months compared to 37.5 a day of the Estratest (which would have been going through my liver)
I have never used creams but I would think creams would work the same since they are transdermal & not a pill form.

Jill

Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so much for the info, Jill, I appreciate it. Are the pellets considered transdermal then?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I used the cream at about midnight last night. By noon today I had really bad nausea and menstrual type cramps. My period is due in 3 or 4 days. But I haven't had cramps like this in years. Did any of you have side effects like this with the cream for awhile before adjusting to it? Or do you suppose its pms? This is nuts. Now I am worried and did not use the cream tonight.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've never experienced anything like that from my cream, except the usual cramping the first day or two of my period. I had that before starting the cream, though. It sounds like it could be pms. I wouldn't stop using it just yet, your hormones might get messed up worse. Are you on a type of cream where you don't use it the week of your period? If so, you only have a few more days left to use it, and then you're off for a week.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-01-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have never had pms this bad before. I had mild craps today again. I didn't take my cream last night. The pharmacist said only one day shouldn't have done this so at this point I could be having a REAL bad month of pms. I hope my period isn't terriable.Ugh! This cream is suppose to be used every day of the month. They said I could pull back to 1/2 a dose for awhile to see if that helps. The pharmacist also said bad cramps and heavy bleeding actually comes from not having enough of these hormones. So maybe I have bad cramps because my hormones are just so low. I am so confused.

Closed Thread