It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

prettiestpon HB User
bio-identical hormones

i Really want to be tested for these....the only problem is that im on a birth control pill. i know that it takes at least 3 months for your hormone levels to go back to where they were originally, but im afriad to go Off the pill because im in school and i really get sick for about two weeks from My period.

im just wondering if there is any way a doctor can test my levels if i am still on birth control ?

would it make sense to even go to one of these docs if im still on birth control or would i have to Get off it completely first ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: bio-identical hormones

Bioidentical hormones (creams, pills, pellets) are what you take to correct a hormonal imbalance. They can test you, but I honestly don't see you getting an accurate reading as long as you're on the pill because the pill suppresses all the hormones. I know you don't want to go off the pill because of your period problems. In actuality, though, your getting 'sick' a couple weeks before your period I suspect is due to a hormonal imbalance, which is why your doctor probably put you on the pill. I don't see how they think it helps, though, because again, the pill suppresses hormones and it actually can cause more hormonal imbalance later on.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-01-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Bioidentical hormones (creams, pills, pellets) are what you take to correct a hormonal imbalance. They can test you, but I honestly don't see you getting an accurate reading as long as you're on the pill because the pill suppresses all the hormones. I know you don't want to go off the pill because of your period problems. In actuality, though, your getting 'sick' a couple weeks before your period I suspect is due to a hormonal imbalance, which is why your doctor probably put you on the pill. I don't see how they think it helps, though, because again, the pill suppresses hormones and it actually can cause more hormonal imbalance later on.
ok, well enough said.. im going off it then, thank you for the reply. how long of being off the pill would my doctor then get a true reading of my hormones?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just make sure you finish out the pack that you're on first. If you don't, your hormones will really be wacky. After going off it, your cycle usually becomes regular again in about 3-6 months, sometimes sooner. I think once you start having regular periods again, you should get a good reading.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-03-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
Just make sure you finish out the pack that you're on first. If you don't, your hormones will really be wacky. After going off it, your cycle usually becomes regular again in about 3-6 months, sometimes sooner. I think once you start having regular periods again, you should get a good reading.
the thing is, about 2 months after being off the pill, my cycle gets wacky....heavy periods terrrible pms, bad cramps back to how it always was prior to the yasmin....i would think in as little as two months i Would be good for testing b/c im already experiencing sympoms.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, what I meant by a 'regular' period, is having one every month. Sometimes it can take a while for this to happen after being on the pill, especially if you've been on it for a long time. But it sounds like yours goes back to normal relatively quickly after you stop taking it. So, in that case, you probably could test after two months.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-03-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
Well, what I meant by a 'regular' period, is having one every month. Sometimes it can take a while for this to happen after being on the pill, especially if you've been on it for a long time. But it sounds like yours goes back to normal relatively quickly after you stop taking it. So, in that case, you probably could test after two months.
ok great...thats what i was thinking too. thanks for ur help

Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome and good luck to you.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
You're welcome and good luck to you.
ive got an appointment on may 21 with a very good alternative care doctor. so i will let anyone who's interested know how it goes.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's a great start! If you saw another traditional doctor, they're liable to just tell you to go back on the pill, especially if you're young (in your twenties), which isn't going to help you.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-05-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
That's a great start! If you saw another traditional doctor, they're liable to just tell you to go back on the pill, especially if you're young (in your twenties), which isn't going to help you.
i know im 25, and i just want to take care of myself. im noticing that my face is breaking out now from being off the pill, grrrrr.. i mean i knew this would happen but my skin was flawless on the yasmin. but my primary care once told me that the yasmin would worsen my allergies, and it def has. the things we do for beauty....

she must be a really good doc because the first available appt was may 22. it's about an hour long, so she sounds thorough. i was told that for bio-identical testing that she uses a saliva test b/c she gets better results than blood testing, interesting to know.

kitty, are you using the bio-identical hormones?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, I'm surprised your doctor was honest with you about the yasmin. Most doctors you have to really drill them to get any answers, if at all.

Yes, I use a bioidentical progesterone cream. I had blood work done back in November and I'm low in progesterone and testosterone. My thyroid is supposedly normal, yet I've got at least half of the symptoms of low thyroid. I'm looking into the saliva testing myself as I was told it's more accurate than the blood. I'm 38, by the way.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-06-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
Wow, I'm surprised your doctor was honest with you about the yasmin. Most doctors you have to really drill them to get any answers, if at all.

Yes, I use a bioidentical progesterone cream. I had blood work done back in November and I'm low in progesterone and testosterone. My thyroid is supposedly normal, yet I've got at least half of the symptoms of low thyroid. I'm looking into the saliva testing myself as I was told it's more accurate than the blood. I'm 38, by the way.
im sure they can do saliva testing. if not, i'd find someone who can. when i called my alternative care doc, the secretary said they do both tests for hormones, but she prefers the saliva test. it's good you are trying to be proactive w/ ur health. i wonder if taking the bio-identicals makes menopause less harsh. my mom was on the bcp for many many years, and she's having it rough with menopause. but if you're alternative doc is running your thyroid labs, cant he give u some kind of herbs for it or make some dietary reccomendations ?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

The pill suppresses all the hormones. After being on it long term, the body stops producing them naturally. So, I'm not surprised your mom is having trouble. I attribute most of my problems to being on the pill for 18 years. I just see a regular doctor right now. I'm looking around for one that does saliva testing because my current one doesn't. Beside the cream, I also take an herbal supplement called Estrotone for hormone balance. It has black cohosh, chaste berry, evening primrose and some other stuff in it. It works pretty good.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

oh i thought u were seeing a homeopathic doc. did your primary care prescribe that supplement for you?

i will tell my mom to look into it....she takes black cohosh, but still experiences hot flashes. i didnt know that your body stops producing these hormones after awhile. that's really scary.

i think u will have to actually find an alternative care doctor to perform the saliva testing. unfortunately, it doesnt look like they take insurances. mine is $295 for the intial one hour consult.

Closed Thread