HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alternative Medicine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/)
-   -   Fish Oil (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/691635-fish-oil.html)

bethie44 05-10-2009 11:16 AM

Fish Oil

There was a recent study that found that consuming 2 tsp a day of fish oil can help you to burn up to 400 extra calories a day, without lifting a finger! I don't usually buy into things like this, but I was told this (and shown the study) by a certified fitness trainer.

Do any of you use fish (omega 3) oil? To equal 2 tsp, you would have to take something like 6 capsules a day, which, on top of the pills I already have to take, I won't do (I am squeamish about swallowing big pills). So, I have opted to just taking the pure liquid fish oil. It comes in citrus and I think maybe berry flavors. The taste isn't bad, but the feeling of having a mouth full of oil is kind of disgusting. I was wondering if any of you know if this would be good mixed with any food or drink (like a smoothie). Maybe I'll just get over my pill swallowing issues and take the capsules!

I know I might sound like a nut, but I really think that this is worth a try!

glowing4 05-11-2009 03:52 AM

Re: Fish Oil

I take the fish oil in liquid form every day. I can't swallow big pills either. I don't find the taste or the oil difficult. I just swallow it down and then take a sip of juice. I do think you can mix it with juice or a smoothy or in cereal, etc. I tried it in juice and didn't like the slimy juice feel!! Found it much easier just to take it on a spoon. I bought a good brand at a local health food store - needs to be refrigerated. It has a citrus taste and not bad at all.

glowing4

dgillmore 08-02-2009 10:15 AM

I know supplementing with fish oil is very popular by people wanting to make sure they are getting essential fatty acids (EFAs). I have been doing it too, but I just ran across a very convincing report by a health researcher that points out that there are only two essential fatty acids, linoleic acid (LA) and linolenic acid (ALA). He refers to these as 'parent' omega-6 & omega-3 respectively. He then states that fish oil contains mostly omega-3 derivative oils [B]NOT[/B] essential fatty acid.

He then points out that in nature omega-6 & omega-3 EFAs usually occur together with omega-6 predominating. He is emphatic that omega-6 EFA is crucial to our long-term health. Omega-6 oils get a bad rap because they turn into damaging trans-fatty acids when hydrogenated, fried, grilled or otherwise exposed to high cooking temperatures.

His most unsettling statement is that supplementing with predominantly omega-3 derivative oils can suppress your immune system, reduce oxygen carrying capacity of our cells, increase risk of cancer, increase bruising, reduce injury healing, not protect the heart and the list goes on...

bethie44 08-02-2009 10:35 AM

Okay, thanks. I actually stopped bothering with that a long time ago, because I wasn't seeing any changes and I found it so disgusting to either swallow the oil or all of those huge tablets. I now just take my required Synthroid in the morning and a multivitamin in the afternoon (when I remember). I just decided I don't feel like messing with a bunch of supplements. I'll just try to get all of my nutrients in my food.

jenj770 08-04-2009 03:42 AM

dgillmore,

I read your post with interest. Do you think those views hold true for Krill oil as well, since it is in the shellfish family?

Thanks,

Jen

jenj770 08-05-2009 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=jenj770;4051027]dgillmore,

I read your post with interest. Do you think those views hold true for Krill oil as well, since it is in the shellfish family?

Thanks,

Jen[/QUOTE]

dgillmore, if you don't know the answer to the above question could you PM me the URL for the report you allude to? Thanks. Jen

dgillmore 08-05-2009 09:17 AM

Hi Jen,
I am not an expert. I know krill is marketed as an omega-3 oil supplement and that it has some additional anti-oxidant properties that are supposed to be very good for you. Quoted studies, suggest that it is more effective at controlling cholesterol than fish oil. However, I think in general, Peskin's comments about over supplementing omega-3 and that these products are derivative omega-3 not essential fattay acid omega-3 are probably valid. I have stopped my fish oil supplements and intend to search for an omega-6/3 balanced supplement. Actually raw red meat would be ideal, but don't think I could do that and health risks from uncooked meat of any kind are too high.

dgillmore 08-06-2009 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=jenj770;4051885]dgillmore, if you don't know the answer to the above question could you PM me the URL for the report you allude to? Thanks. Jen[/QUOTE]

Would be happy to. I am a newbie here. It looks like the only way I can PM you is if you put me on your friends & contacts list. I have sent a request.