It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
(male)

doxology HB User
L-Theanine...(what & how much) ???

hello...

have been taking nutritional supplements to get rid of everything from the blahs (apathy depression) to doom-&-gloom (full blown depression w/ anxiety).

I understand that L-Theanine is derived from Green Tea...but what exactly is it...& how much should I be taking (i.e., normal dosage). I was also wondering about if it makes the heart race...as in...is it associated w/ the caffeine component in Green Tea(?)

thanks,

doxology

Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: L-Theanine...(what & how much) ???

L' Theanine is an amino acid and often used for anxiety, difficulty sleeping and other nervous conditions. I have taken it in the past and did not experience any heart racing, just the opposite as it is calming.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
(male)

doxology HB User

thanks, jenj770...

I'll tell you what I was really wondering. I was on the SSRIs for a spell & decided to go cold turkey 'cause they made me feel weird...like I wasn't really me. But I noticed that the prevailing wisdom dictates that drugs of this type must build up in your system.

So...the obvious question is...is it the same for nutritional supplements (must they build up in your system to have the desired effect) ???

One of the reasons I ask is because I've been reading this wonderful book...The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross. In it, she talks about various forms of depression/anxiety; & which nutritional supplements work for each. For example, she defines the blahs as apathy depression; & recommends catecholamine boosters such as L-tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, omega-3 fish oil, etc. Or she describes the dark cloud as doom & gloom depression; & recommends serotonin boosting supplements such as 5-HTP, L-tryptophan, SAM-e, Saint-John's-wort, etc. (she also explains how anxiety, panic, etc. work their way into any depression picture)...but for the sake of simplicity here...(& I havenít finished the book)...but...I only take some of these supplements when the bad stuff appears in my brain; & it works only for the short term.

I'm wondering if I would be better suited taking supplements on a regular basis, hence the question...do they need to build up in your system, like the anti-depressants do.

thanks again,

dox

Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxology View Post
thanks, jenj770...

So...the obvious question is...is it the same for nutritional supplements (must they build up in your system to have the desired effect) ???
dox
Not for me. I only take it occassionally, when needed, and it seems to help but it is a subtle product so that might take some getting used to in order to intuit the benefits.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

Mstic1 HB User

Hi,

I've been using L-Theanine for about a month now and it is really good for calming you down. I haven't noticed any side effects from it at all. I don't take it every day but if I'm feeling anxious at all I take one and it seems to really work.

I'm also using 5-HTP (100mg with lunch and dinner).

Mstic1

Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

katolb90 HB User

As far as your question as to whether they work right away or need time to build up in your system, that depends on the supplement. Some do take a few weeks. For something that works fairly soon, I recommend a high quality B-stress complex (with plenty of vit c in it). Also calcium magnesium helps for relaxation. For me personally, I prefer vitamins and minerals instead of herbal type stuff. I always seem to have some reaction to the herbal type stuff so I stay away from those. Actually, I have mild reactions to all kinds of stuff (thats another story). I would also try a little bit of chromium picolinate for a great mood.

Another important question is how are you sleeping? If you're not sleeping good, then that needs to be resolved first. Fatigue will cause a ton of mood problems. How is your diet? Not eating right can cause a ton of mood problems. I'd also recommend finding a good natural doctor to work with.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
(female)

rachae1 HB User

Most products sold commercially as containing L-Theanine contains very little of it or any of it at all. Verify its Suntheanine for the real thing.

I was also looking into L-theanine to help with mood disturbance (not bipolar-related) and anxieties. I'm going to go with a decaf green tea or perhaps capsules.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
(female)

tired47 HB User

5 Htp has helped me sleep again( i take 1/2 of a capsule - 25mg at bedtime) and l - theanine ( 200 mg daily) helped with any anxiety, stress. I am perimenopausal.... what a ride this!!!

Last edited by tired47; 07-28-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Closed Thread