It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

countrysummer81 HB User
Melatonin?

I'm wondering if anyone here has used Melatonin and if so, how does it make you feel? Does it make you drowsy the way Benadryl, Tylenol Cold, Vicadin does?

My doc prescribes me Tylenol Codine for severe headaches. I can be a restless sleeper, mostly due to stress, and the T3 helps me sleep. It just relaxes me so I can fall asleep and stay asleep better, but without making me drowsy.

Because of respiratory issues (sometimes shallow breathing when asleep), I do not want to take anything that makes me drowsy. I'm looking for something that would do what Codine does. I've been told to try Melatonin. But from reading stuff about it, it sounds like it might make me drowsy.

I'd appreciate feedback from those who have taken it.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
(male)

rajk HB User
Re: Melatonin?

Hi, I tried Melatonin briefly many years ago and I recall it triggered a migraine. I have not tried it since but thought I should let you know of my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Prosp HB User

It's been a while since I took Melatonin, but I don't remember any adverse effects. You might consider EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique for your headache and sleeping. It's very effective and no side effects.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

deb03 HB User

I take it sometime when I am anxious and feel I won't be able to sleep. I have the 3mg, but I will only take half of it and it seems to work fine. Anything that helps you sleep will make you somewhat drowsie. I don't think it affects my breathing, but it does help you sleep.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I had tried it years ago and nothing, however I just ordered some and it seem to work wonderful..Don't know for how long but I sleep through the night and that is a wecome change for me. I don't feel groggy after it either and I take 10 m of it.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
(male)

Searfass HB User

Everytime I used it, I would wake up in the middle of the night with insanely high blood sugars. Awhile back I did some research, and apparently, melatonin makes your cells less sensitive to insulin created by your body.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
(male)

JCW247 HB User
Smile Re: Melatonin?

I take two 3mg capsules before retiring with
no problems. Inexpensive. You might try
one 3mg to start with. You might also do
a google search to take the correct dosage.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
(female)

pbgypsy HB User
Thumbs up Re: Melatonin?

I have taken Melatonin, (3mg) for the last 5 yrs. I take it only when I feel anxious and can't sleep. It works very well for me. Within about 15 to 20 min., I am out! No headaches or any after affects whatsoever. Let me add, that I take a time release tablet, which helps you sleep all through the night. I checked with my doctor, (Internalist) on this magic herbal sleeping pill. He told me it will never hurt me and that it was good that I didn't rely on a prescription drug.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
(male)

wightryder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysummer81 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here has used Melatonin and if so, how does it make you feel? Does it make you drowsy the way Benadryl, Tylenol Cold, Vicadin does?

My doc prescribes me Tylenol Codine for severe headaches. I can be a restless sleeper, mostly due to stress, and the T3 helps me sleep. It just relaxes me so I can fall asleep and stay asleep better, but without making me drowsy.

Because of respiratory issues (sometimes shallow breathing when asleep), I do not want to take anything that makes me drowsy. I'm looking for something that would do what Codine does. I've been told to try Melatonin. But from reading stuff about it, it sounds like it might make me drowsy.

I'd appreciate feedback from those who have taken it.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
(female)

tapatia13 HB User

I used melatonin -I think it was 1 mg- for insomnia and it worked well, never had any side effects. I woke up feeling relaxed and not "high" or emotional, like with other sleeping pills.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
(male)

Thunderbolt HB User

Melatonin has worked for me most of the time when I've used it. I too only take it if I can't sleep or feel that I may have trouble doing so. There's been times where it hasn't worked.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I know this is a somewhat old thread,but I wanted to add my two cents.
Melatonin is not just a supplement that helps you sleep,but an actual HORMONE.
Taking the supplement can cause your body to produce less naturally on it's own.It is banned for sale as a supplement in some countries,because the long term effects are unknown.
While most websites say it is safe for temporary use,many do not recommend long term usage.

Some websites and studies have links to melatonin making depression worse in some people (psychotic)
and possibly effecting thyroid health.
It has also been said it can have a "birth control like" effect on women who use it long term,because it is a HORMONE and effects other hormones.

I took it for 3 months every night and now I have a thyroid problem,so it's a little hard for me to disagree with those possible effects.

I'm not saying don't take it and be scared of it.Just not to take it long term, and if you have any bad effects stop and talk to your dr.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #13
(female)

pbgypsy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItRains View Post
I know this is a somewhat old thread,but I wanted to add my two cents.
Melatonin is not just a supplement that helps you sleep,but an actual HORMONE.
Taking the supplement can cause your body to produce less naturally on it's own.It is banned for sale as a supplement in some countries,because the long term effects are unknown.
While most websites say it is safe for temporary use,many do not recommend long term usage.

Some websites and studies have links to melatonin making depression worse in some people (psychotic)
and possibly effecting thyroid health.
It has also been said it can have a "birth control like" effect on women who use it long term,because it is a HORMONE and effects other hormones.

I took it for 3 months every night and now I have a thyroid problem,so it's a little hard for me to disagree with those possible effects.

I'm not saying don't take it and be scared of it.Just not to take it long term, and if you have any bad effects stop and talk to your dr.
I have used Melatonin for five years. I have just had my thyroid checked and it is fine, so maybe something other than Melatonin is attributed to this.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I really don't think it was,honestly.Everyone is different though.

Here is some info:

Psychological Effects

Side effects of melatonin include confusion, disorientation, giddiness, irritability, sadness and mood changes. Studies have indicated that melatonin supplements worsen depression symptoms, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). In one animal study cited by the UMMC, melatonin supplements decreased effects of the antidepressants desipramine (Norpramin) and fluoxetine (Prozac). The NIH notes that hallucinations and paranoia have also been reported and may result because of melatonin overdose.
Cardiovascular and Blood Sugar Effects

Melatonin may lower blood pressure, a consideration for anyone taking blood pressure medication. Increases in cholesterol levels also may occur, according to the NIH. So people with high cholesterol, atherosclerosis, or who present a risk for cardiovascular disease should be cautious about taking melatonin. Some individuals have experienced abnormal heart rhythms while taking melatonin. Melatonin also may affect blood clotting, so people taking anticoagulants or who have clotting disorders may not be able to safely use this supplement. Some type 1 diabetes patients have developed elevated blood sugar levels when taking melatonin.
Sex and Pregnancy Considerations

Melatonin side effects include decreased sperm count and motility, and women attempting to become pregnant should not take melatonin because it may decrease their fertility. Use of this supplement also may result in a decreased sex drive. Breast enlargement in men taking melatonin has been reported, according to the NIH. Other hormonal effects associated with melatonin supplements include decreases or increases in progesterone, estradiol, thyroid hormone, growth hormone, prolactin, cortisol and others. Taking melatonin supplements during pregnancy may raise melatonin levels high enough to increase the risk of developmental disorders. Breastfeeding women also should not take melatonin as it can be transferred to the baby.

Last edited by WhenItRains; 04-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Closed Thread