It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

toronto lady HB User
what is the relationship between tension headache and calcium and magnesium

could tension headache be caused by deficiency in magnesium ? How much should a female over 55 take calcium and magnesium and vit D per day ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: what is the relationship between tension headache and calcium and magnesium

Hi Toroto Lady,
Welcome to Healthboards!!

Magnesium is a very important mineral and lacking it can cause many problems including muscle cramping and spasms. It is also needed for the absorption of calcium as well as vitamin D is also needed.

The recommeded daily reqirement of calcium is 1000mgm, magnesium is 400 mgm and Vitamin D is 400 IU.

You are probably not getting enough of vit D-- the sunshine vitamin particularly in the winter since you live so far North. Some experts believe that a person needs 1000 iu for every 25 pounds of body weight--daily.

I think it is best to get your Blood Tested to make sure you are deficient before starting any
supplement program. The test for Vitamin D3 is now accuate enough for a diagnosis.

I wish you well--Harry

Last edited by Harry; 12-03-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User
Re: what is the relationship between tension headache and calcium and magnesium

You can actually take 2000 IU of Vitamin D per day or more. I take an OTC version of D3 and it boosted my D levels to slightly above normal. The prescription Vitamin D didn't do anything; if anything, it made it worse.

A lot of people don't get enough D these days because they aren't out in the sun all day, and when they are they're usually wearing sunscreen. It's a good idea to take lots of D.

Closed Thread