It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

Princess05247 HB User
Alternative treatment for IBD?

Does anyone know of an alternative treatment for IBD/Crohn's? My son who's 12,was just diagnosised with it yesterday after tons of tests, including upper and lower scopes, and scan of white blood cells of small intestine. They biopsied areas of his colon and that came out normal. But after the scan, it showed levels of inflammation. He's had alot of stomach pain with it. The medicine they want to give him could make his liver and pancreas enzymes go up. So we're concerned how it may effect him and are looking into something else that could help him.

Last edited by Princess05247; 01-12-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
(female)

Myth HB User
Re: Alternative treatment for IBD?

I believe there has been some success in treating IBS with probiotics and fibre
one probiotic that is marketed specifically for IBS is ' lactobocillus plantarum '
I suggest you find a wholistic doctor or a naturopath as there may be more options

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Thank you, but i said "IBD/Crohn's" disease not IBS.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

First, I think it is great that you are looking for other ways to help your son. The medications used to treat IBD/Crohn's are very powerful stuff and they can increase liver enzymes. Especially at his young age, his liver is even more vulnerable.

The best things to give him are l-glutamine (an amino acid that is the preferred "food" for the epithelial cells in the gut - it helps repair the damaged walls of the intestines), an enteric-coated probiotic to make sure the live organisms are getting into his gut and NOT just is stomach, a high potency fish oil and turmeric supplement (both are excellent anti-inflammatories and inflammation is a HUGE part of IBD/Crohn's).

Your best bet is to see a Naturopathic Doctor so you have some guidance with this, but those things are probably what they would give you to start. You might want to look into delayed-sensitivity (IgG) food allergies as well as food intolerances because those can be causing your son pain and flare-ups as well.

Good Luck and let us know how things go!

Lucy

Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Thank you Lulu soo much! I did some research and some you the things you mentioned are exactly what i read. Do you know of a good probiotic for him to take? His gastro did order food allergy blood tests. Is that the same kind as the (IgG)?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

I don't think I can give you the name a of probiotic on these boards, but just search "enteric coated probiotic" online and a bunch of decent ones come up. Also the IgG delayed-onset food allergy testing isn't ever done by conventional doctors.. Your son's gastro most likely tested for immediate-reaction food allergies (IgE). I've only seen IgG used by holistic physicians and naturopathic doctors.

Good Luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Ok, i will search for that. Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Some information in Elaine Gottschall's Breaking the Vicious Cycle may be helpful. The book is available through interlibrary loan. She proposes a rather strict dietary problem, but it is for a finite period of time. There is information online covering her general ideas if you look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User

Mountain Mist Botanicals has some benefits for IBD/Crohn's, you should take a look at
now.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
(female)

VA_girl HB User

look into warm castor oil packs on the abdomin. They help ease pain, and other ibs symtpoms. They are also considered for actual healing properties, not just soothing. I have found them soooo helpful.

Closed Thread