It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

luvmylife HB User
Anyone with 5HTP knowledge

I am a wife and mother with a very busy life style and have suffered for years with bouts of anxiety/panic disorder, some mild depression, sleep pattern problems headaches and just about all your classic symptoms that can ruin anyones day. I recently came across the book 5-HTP by Michael Murray and read it in full. I found it very promising to someone just like myself. It states 5 htp takes away all the symptoms I have been suffering with for years by boosting your serotonin levels naturally. ( wow- just what I have been searching for) I do not respond well to your more advanced SSRI's as they create my anxiety level into more intense panic. After reading Michael Murray's book in full I decided to do my research alittle more before I begin my journey into 5htp. I came across many controversial readings. Some sites claim 5htp is the miracle natural cure, others claim it is useless, and then there are ones that raised red flags that 5htp is dangerous and can cause cardiac fibrosis or lung problems due to the supplement breaking serotonin down in your blood stream. Wow how can you make a decision to take the 5htp journey with so much controversial readings.
I am hoping to find some answers here. Perhaps anyone who has experience using 5htp, if it really has helped, side effects and of course the BIG question is it really dangerous to use and offers the risk of cardiac fibrosis or lung problems??? (Michael Murry's book never mentioned such risks)
Any feedback and or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. As well as your experiences with the use of 5-HTP. I would love to know if it really works!
Thank you in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to luvmylife For This Useful Post:
elveree (08-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
(female)

Mstic1 HB User
Re: Anyone with 5HTP knowledge

Hi,

I had never even heard of 5-HTP until last year when I started seeing an acupuncturist. She recommended that I start taking it for both anxiety and sleep. I now take it every day and have noticed an improvement in both. I take 100mg with lunch and 100 mg with dinner. I haven't had any side effects whatsoever and I would highly recommend it. You won't really "feel" anything like you do with SSRI's so you are going to have to give it a few weeks to notice anything.

Along with the 5-HTP, I've also started taking a B complex vitamin as well as fish oil and my anxiety has gone from very high to very low.

I hope that you give it a try.
Mstic1

Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
(male)

wightryder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmylife View Post
I am a wife and mother with a very busy life style and have suffered for years with bouts of anxiety/panic disorder, some mild depression, sleep pattern problems headaches and just about all your classic symptoms that can ruin anyones day. I recently came across the book 5-HTP by Michael Murray and read it in full. I found it very promising to someone just like myself. It states 5 htp takes away all the symptoms I have been suffering with for years by boosting your serotonin levels naturally. ( wow- just what I have been searching for) I do not respond well to your more advanced SSRI's as they create my anxiety level into more intense panic. After reading Michael Murray's book in full I decided to do my research alittle more before I begin my journey into 5htp. I came across many controversial readings. Some sites claim 5htp is the miracle natural cure, others claim it is useless, and then there are ones that raised red flags that 5htp is dangerous and can cause cardiac fibrosis or lung problems due to the supplement breaking serotonin down in your blood stream. Wow how can you make a decision to take the 5htp journey with so much controversial readings.
I am hoping to find some answers here. Perhaps anyone who has experience using 5htp, if it really has helped, side effects and of course the BIG question is it really dangerous to use and offers the risk of cardiac fibrosis or lung problems??? (Michael Murry's book never mentioned such risks)
Any feedback and or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. As well as your experiences with the use of 5-HTP. I would love to know if it really works!
Thank you in advance
Hi I have nothing but praise for 5htp,having used Citalopram and Prozac I would much rather use this wonderful product than any other.It's a tad on the expensive side but can often be found at Holland&Barrets at a reduced price on a regular basis.

I came to this supplement via an excellent book by Patrick Holford called (Natural Highs) and recommend it to you wholeheartedly as it outlines the type of products which can aid the passage of 5htp into the system more effectively.

If you do embark on a course give it at least 2 weeks to establish it into your system and as a general rule take around 2 to 3 -50mg to kickstart things until you find your ideal situation.

Forgive the brevity of my response but as we know it either works for you or it wont,I swear by the stuff.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

Valkatie HB User

I've tried it myself because of depression/anxiety associated with my thyroid disorder. For me it hasn't worked like it has for others. But my wish for you is that it does.

Also I am very very sensitive to meds of any kind and I had no side affects what so ever from this.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User

Check out all the TV adds for prescription drug, they start off by telling us how good they are for us, then they start running off all the bad things they do including death.

If only 10 people out of 1000 died, then the drug must be pretty safe, right!

5-HTP is made by many different company, so the quality may vary from company to company.

This is something to think about, Drug Interaction:

Do not combine 5-HTP with conventional antidepressants (Prozac, Wellbutrin, or Effexor, Buspirone, lithium). May cause anxiety, confusion, increased heart rate, excessive perspiration, and diarrhea or other serious side effects.

Don't take 5-HTP within four weeks of using a MAO inhibitor.

Avoid taking 5-HTP with sedating antihistamines or St John’s Wort; the combination can lead to drowsiness.

Do not take 5-HTP with OTC cold remedies or any medications containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, because anxiety, confusion, or other serious side effects may develop.

Muscle relaxants could cause excessive drowsiness when combined with 5-HTP.

Drowsiness may develop if 5-HTP is taken with a narcotic pain reliever such as codeine or morphine.

Do not combine 5-HTP with levodopa or Mucuna Pruriens. May cause anxiety, confusion, or other adverse reactions.

The Following User Says Thank You to wackytoposthere For This Useful Post:
debriksen (06-24-2012)
Closed Thread