It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Meditation can it cure diseases?

I was curious and trying to do research on meditation. Suppose you have problems with the Liver or kidneys or even cancer, can meditation help or even cure sicknesses in your body? I know it can lower the blood pressure and help with anxiety but was wondering if can mend the body?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Meditation can it cure diseases?

gigi11,

Yes, I believe meditation can mend the body.

To be continued:.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
gigi11,

Yes, I believe meditation can mend the body.

To be continued:.....
Please tell me more - how often do you meditate?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
Please tell me more - how often do you meditate?
I meditate almost every day but I don't have a strict routine. I usually meditate at night if I can't sleep. Then it helps me to relax and fall asleep.
I probably don't need it very much for health because I live a fairly calm life. But it does help me to eventually fall asleep and getting enough sleep is important for health.

I believe that meditation can help mend the body if used along with other healthy lifestyle-habits. One thing seldom works alone. Take diet, for example. They say you should eat fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds. Then they say you need a certain amount of exercise, avoid stress and get 8 hours of sleep. So it's not just one thing that makes you healthy; it's lots of things put together.

You mentioned liver disease, kidney disease and cancer. If someone gets diagnosed with one of these diseases, it can trigger stress and stress can depress the immune system. So it works against healing. Meditation can help relieve stress and thereby boost the immune system. Meditation can also help one to maintain a healthy lifestyle (mentioned above).

Some people don't eat a healthy diet because of stress and eating a healthy diet is necessary for healing. So everything is connected.

There was a study by Dr. Dean Ornish and Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn. Study subjects did the following: 1) ate vegetarian whole foods 2) got 10% of calories from fat 3) walked 30 minutes 6 days per wk. 4) used stress-reducing techniques (meditation?) 5) attended a weekly support group

The result was that they had a 29% increase in the enzyme "telo-merase". As I understand it this enzime repairs DNA. It repairs and legnthens telomeres. And this is important for immunity and longevity. A low level of telomerase means that you will be at increased risk for cancer and heart trouble etc.. And if you do get ill you need this to help make repairs.

Meditation to control stress is an important part of it, in my opinion. Have you read "The Relaxation Response" by Herbert Benson MD.?

Another interesting book is: "Train your mind, change your brain" by Sharon Begley.

I hope this post will be of some help to you.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your help - my husband who is cambodian and was into Buddhism told me that asians rarely get cancer or any other health issues. That is because they meditate alot. I have digestive issues - I don't have a gallbladder anymore so it gives me problems. I do acupuncture too. I will look up the books, thanks. I am also doing yoga.

The following user gives a hug of support to gigi11:
kiran26 (11-23-2011)
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have you tried wild devine - I love meditation because it takes me some other place.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

gigi11,

What is "wild devine"? Or maybe I shouldn't ask; it sounds like some kind of hallusinogen.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
gigi11,

What is "wild devine"? Or maybe I shouldn't ask; it sounds like some kind of hallusinogen.
Look it up on the internet - it teaches you to meditate at your full potential by computer. It was put out by Deepak and I love it. Biofeedback

Old 04-27-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
(male)

procads HB User

Meditation helps in changing the way your body functions and bringing it back to normal...

Yoga Ayurveda are some of the best treatment therapies presently available in the world.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

It's always bright to first go to yourdoctorand follow up.Then there is massive proof meditation helps.springforest qijong is wonderful.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
(male)

joeh67 HB User

Certain kinds of meditation may help balance your system and may in turn boost up your immune system. But meditation has some risk attached. Moving exercises such as Tai Chi or moving style Qigong will have the same health effect and will also promote blood and energy flow.

Joe

Quote:
I was curious and trying to do research on meditation. Suppose you have problems with the Liver or kidneys or even cancer, can meditation help or even cure sicknesses in your body? I know it can lower the blood pressure and help with anxiety but was wondering if can mend the body?

Last edited by joeh67; 05-28-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #12
(male)

joeh67 HB User

Not that many Asians practice meditation. Many Asians get cancer every year. Search the WHO site for statistics. The dominating cancer among Asians is different from those in North America due to different lifestyles and diets.

Without a gallbladder means you may not be able to digest fats properly. Long term improper digestion will sooner or later present other health issues. You may want to consider getting some digestive enzymes.

Quote:
Thanks for your help - my husband who is cambodian and was into Buddhism told me that asians rarely get cancer or any other health issues. That is because they meditate alot. I have digestive issues - I don't have a gallbladder anymore so it gives me problems. I do acupuncture too. I will look up the books, thanks. I am also doing yoga.

Closed Thread