It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

katolb90 HB User
Help for wierd allergies

I've been dealing with these issues for years. Been trying all brands of multivitamins, fish oil, and other stuff on a short term basis. I never take anything extreme or in large doses. My symptoms:

food intolerances which cause fatigue, brain fog, stiffness, muscular aches/swelling (in legs, neck)

fatigue

post nasal drip (which is much better than the all-round head congestion)

sinus/nasal irritation

hypertension - seems to be connected to sinus issues, seasonal changes

swinging thyroid hormones (t3/t4) - Not low enough to be on meds

sensitivities to many vitamins and vitamin ingredients characterized by any of the following - jitters, fatigue, hypertension, constipation, brain fog, sinus issues

I currently take 1 multi (depends on what brand isn't bothering me, I only take the ones with basic ingredients), 1 b complex, 1 400iu vitd, 4 cal-mag-d pills (which equals about 800mg cal 400 mag, 300 iu d) and 1 500mg vitamin C (without bioflavonoids)

I have been diagnosed with Epstein Barr. Have a slightly below normal white blood cell count (which the doctor says is not low enough to cause problems)

My goal is to get my thyroid hormones up without causing jitters and to 'fix' my immune problems. These sensitivities are a big problem because everything I try causes some negative reaction. I think I need something to regulate my immune system, but not sure what. Any suggestions for supplements that may help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
(male)

joeh67 HB User
Re: Help for wierd allergies

Try extra virgin coconut oil (intake) -- good for your mild hypothyroidism as well as your Epstein Barr. Your other symptoms may be caused by Epstein Barr.

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-28-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

do you take the coconut oil? If so for what? I have heard good things about it. I have read things about it. Why do you recommend it. LaLa

Old 05-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
(male)

joeh67 HB User

Yes, I do occasionally take Coconut Oil. Last time I took coconut oil was during a trip to Australia/NZ in Feb this year. I developed shingles the 1st day I was in Sydney. Since I did not have the herbal immune booster that I normally used, the only thing I could do was to get the coconut oil from a health food store. It worked miraculously on me. It zapped the shingles in 2 days.

< edited >

Joe

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-01-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Joe: Thanks for your quick reply. I have heard lots of good things about coconut oil but have not tried it yet. I will give you my story. I have been suffering for over four years now. It started with some kind of a virus or an upper resp. infect. I went to my dr. and he put me on an antibiotic of course. After this infection or whatever it was I never felt the same. My legs and arms felt heavy and achy. it felt flu-like symptoms, very tired and lethargic. Just did not feel good and could hardly get out of bed. I pushed myself but it was an effort. I started to go to all kinds of drs. No answers. Then a few months later I started to get really bad stomach problems. Gas, bloating etc. I went to a gastro dr and he took tests and found nothing. (By the way, I do have hashimotos and have hypothyroid. Taking synthroid.) I then went to a really good health food store and bought probiotics. I was talking the girl in the store and she mentioned that it sounds like I have Candida of the intestines. Before I got sick that November I was eating a lot of candy and drinking a lot. I had just had a life altering situation and also had a lot of depression. I started researching candida and I felt I had it. Went to dr. he did not totally believe in it but he gave me diflucan for one month. No help. I started going to natural drs and started with all different supplements. Nothing really helped. Off and on I felt better. Some days ok and somedays not. Then about a year ago I developed a new system. I had really bad neck pain and tingling on the top of my head. I went to two different neurologists and had an mri and still nothing. I went for message therapy on my neck because they felt that possibly the tingling was coming from nerve compression from the neck muscles. That did not help. I went for accupuncture. That helped a little but temporary. I have been to two different rhuemotologists thinking maybe fibromyalgia again no. Possibly CFS. But that is only a set of symptoms. I was tested for Lyme that was negative. But I heard that lyme is very hard to test for. I am now with a new Chriropractor/Kineseologist/Homeopathic dr. He says I am dehydrated and wants me to drink 5L of water a day. It is really hard to do. I am drinking about 4L. Which is about a gallon. He says my immune system is very low. He has me on homeopathic meds and he is treating me for a virus. I have spend thousands and thousands of dollars on all these natural people and have not gotten anywhere. This new one seems by far the best one I have been to but i am still sick. I forgot to mention that I also have a balance problem and my left ear always has a sound in it. Not a buzzing but almost like the ocean. I have lots of other symptoms that I have not even mentioned because there have been so many that I can't think of all of them. But lots of feelings of ill that I can't quite pinpoint. Also lots of gas and sometimes diarrhea. Of course, the gastro drs. say IBS. I have also done colonics. No help. I am sorry this is so long. I can go on and on. It has been 4 1/2 years of suffering. There is a lot to say. Also, I was thinking of a further test for lyme if my dr. approves it through my insurance co. called Igenix. Have you heard about that. I don't know what you know about any of this stuff but because you talked about your immune meds I thought you might have suggestions. Thanks for any input you might have. laLa

Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
(male)

joeh67 HB User

Hi, Lala:

Did all your symptoms begin after your upper respiratory viral infection and the course of antibiotics 4 years ago? It sounds like your health problem is more than just a viral infection. Your system is probably also screwed up by the chemicals that you have dumped into it throughout the past 4 years. I don't think coconut oil is the solution although it can be part of the solution. It will help with your viral infection, if there is any, and it will also help the hypothyroidism/hashimotos situation.

If your other symptoms are due to the body's negative reactions towards all the chemicals that you have taken during the past four years, a deep cleansing is what you need. Chiropractor, massage therapy, Kinesiologist may only provide temporary relief to your symptoms but not the cause(s). There is also limitation to what acupuncture can do in your case.

The herbal immune boosters that I am using are called CESSIAC and YUCCALIVE. They are Canadian products but had a large scale of clinical test done in China for cancer treatment. How they work is by cleansing the body at a cellular level and boosting up the immune system. Though the research was done on cancer, many people with other degenerative diseases have also been getting great health benefits from them due to their cleansing and immune boosting functions. I am (actually my whole family) using them for prevention at a very low dosage. My first shingle attack was about 3 years ago. It happened when I was under a lot of stress due to preparing many things before taking a long trip to Europe. My doctor confirmed my shingles condition and asked me to take medication which I didn't. I tripled my CESSIAC intake and the shingles disappeared in 2 days.

You may want to research a combining use of coconut oil and CESSIAC/YUCCALIVE for your current problem. Both are very safe. You have nothing to lose.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Joe:

I really have not dumped that many chemicals into my body within the last four years. Mostly all natural stuff from all the natural drs that I went. to. I was just on that antibiotic when I first got sick. Also synthroid that I have been on for about 18 years. Also the one month of diflucan. But I was already very sick when I went on diflucan. I will look into the meds that you mentioned. But as I mentioned to you, the new dr is giving me different homeopathic meds now. I also just bought the coconut oil the other day. I started it Sat. afternoon and it is now Monday morning that I had a dose in my tea. I also have been just putting it on a spoon and eating it straight up. So we will see what happens with that. I have been so sick that I can't imagine coconut oil is going to cure me. It sounds to simple and cheap. I have gone through tons of money already with this "Mystery Illness". I am going to go on the internet now and look up the supplements you mentioned. Besides shingles, do you have any issues that led you to taking these things? Also, what do you think of Apple Cider Vinegar. I hear that is another miracle worker. Hope you hear from you soon. LaLa

Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
(male)

joeh67 HB User

18 years of Synthroid is certainly a lot of chemicals. Do you take any OTC medications such as Aspirin/Tylenol? They add up over the years. Overbuilding of chemicals in your body will suppress your liver function. Your liver is your healing organ. If it is overloaded, you will find many unexplained problems. I am very healthy. You don't take supplements because you have a health problem. You take THE RIGHT SUPPLEMENTS to prevent health problems. I am glad to say that I have not touched any man-made medications in the past 18 years. Of course, I still contracted cold/flu. But by taking more vitamin C/D and doubling the dosage of CESSIAC, I never had a cold or flu longer than 2 days in the past 18 years.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #9
(female)

lee1101 HB User

hi katolb90, i personally have a very weak immune system, so when i was younger, i used to catch flu/sinus/allergies every few days/weeks. Despite the fact that I used to eat vitamins, scotts emulsion, chinese herbs, etc, it seemed that my immune system was weaker than that of my siblings. Even as I grew older and did some sports, it did not really help so much that I ate healthily, so I turned to alternative therapies which helped me slightly.You might want to try some supplements as well to boost ur immune system.

Last edited by lee1101; 06-03-2010 at 07:25 AM.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Hi Lala,
I had to write to you because I have also chased fatigue and digestion issues for years with few answers. I have learned not to supplement anything unless you know exactly how it will affect your body. I ate "perfectly" for a few months and supplemented with the usual energy vitamins like a B multi and stuff and I got worse. I was frustrated. I then found someone who did something called "Electrodermal Scanning", you'll have to google that to understand it, and it helped tremendously. It at least guided me in the right direction. A machine can test your body reaction to specific supplements and food. I came up sensitive to many things so next I took a blood test from Alcat which tests for any white blood cell rxn to foods, molds, medicines, etc. That also helped a lot because I learned that I was sensitive to the foods I was eating everyday (good stuff like brown rice, some fish, turkey... etc). These aren't "allergies" but they are negative reactions by your body at the time. For example, when I took the test I was miserable and very fatigued and I came up sensitive to A LOT of things. After 6 months of avoiding it I was able to gradually add it back in.
My most helpful tests by far was by a company called Genova Diagnostics (check out their website) and they have great tests for many many conditions. I took a test called Genetic Detox and I found out that I don't make the enzymes to do lots of basic functions. My liver, genetically, cannot clear about 90% of the medications out there so of course I would feel terrible on any medications. Who knew? I am missing the gene to make one of the most powerful antioxidants too which has a ton to do with my fatigue. These aren't run of the mill tests prescribed by doctors so I had to do the research myself and get them. My latest discovery, which I never considered for my fatigue, is that I have endometriosis. My symptoms feel much more gut-related than female-related but after researching that I found out that it does match my symptoms. I just started meds for that 2 months ago. I went after Lyme for 2 years. I did the extremely expensive Igenex test and had a positive for Erlichiosis and for high numbers of flagella but not for Lyme Borrelia. So what is in me that has a lot of flagella? Yuk. I am negative for all parasite tests.
Good luck and be careful with supplementing with things and eating foods that may not be right for you.
In summary, check out:
Genova Diagnostics and Electrodermal Screening

Closed Thread