It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
(male)

kencan98 HB User
Meds For Anxiety And Depression

I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder about 10 years ago and never got help. I've been having panic attacks since I was 5 years old (that's the first attack I remember).

Long story short, I made a decision to get help and I've decided after talking to friends, family and my doctor that I'd like to try the natural approach.

My doctor wanted to put me on Prozac and Xanax. Prozac starting at 40MGs and Xanax .25 MGs 3 times per day. He said that the Xanax would be 3 times per day for the first month then we would move to "*** needed".

I told him I wanted to try natural first and he liked the idea. The problem is that I really have no idea about what to use.

My doctor said that Gaba would have almost the same effect as the xanax and he also said 5-htp would work like the prozac.

According to my doctor, he is "not an expert" in the natural thing so he referred me to someone who is. Problem is that it's not covered by my ins and it will cost me $350 for a visit.

Does anyone know if I can do Gaba and 5-htp together? Do I need anything besides those two? Anyone have any other suggestions?

I've also been taking Rescue Remedy for the past week (doctor gave me a 20ML bottle) and it works great.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
Re: Meds For Anxiety And Depression

there are tons of alternatives doctore around. acam(google that) can help guide you. Many chiropracters can guide you to an alterbative doctor as well. They will evaluate you and help you the most. Saying that...there is adrenal fatigue issues without a doubt.you can google end-fatigue and read about it. WOW there is so much out there to help you! Ill throw out some thoughts.. First a healthy diet with no caffine or sugary foods. Google end-fatgue without a doubt and read about adrenal fatigue..thats a must, Go get a good multivitamin..powder or liquid absorbs the best. Drink a lot of water, half your body weight a day. You need blood work done. If you see a complimentary doctor they will do it. Your dr. can do it. You want to check your b12 levels and vitamind d levels along with a regular blood test. For your mind, since the complimentary or alternative doc will help your body, you need to retrain your brain. Thats a definite.Springforest qi-jong is nice. Helpful and inspirational reads are wayne dyers stuff and byran mitchells (the work) are very helpful. Together the dr. and the mind and patience will make a world of difference. Dont be afraid of alternative or complimentary doctors..this is a very common thing these days. There is a lot of help out there if you are against the traditional drs meds.Complimentary is also integrated thats an md and alternative in one. Be patient with yourself..good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

You can absolutely do gaba and 5-htp together. You have to make sure you do a therapeutic dose of 5-htp for it to help - most people here don't do near enough. Starting dose is 100 mg 2x daily (first thing in the morning and at bedtime). Try to take it away from food because it is an amino acid and has to compete with food for absorption. You can safely go as high as 400 mg 2x daily.

When using gaba, you want to make sure you are taking "pharmagaba" because any other kind is too large to cross the blood-brain barrier. Natural Factors is a brand that makes pharmagaba chewables that are great for relieving panic "in the moment." Pharmagaba has been safely studied as high as 1200 mg/day - but most people start with 100 or 200 mg as needed.

Kava kava is another herb that is very effective in relieving anxiety/panic as it happens. It got a bad rap for causing liver damage from a crazy study years back, but it's perfectly safe.

Valerian is also very effective for anxiety and locks into the same receptors as xanax does, so you might give that a try as well.

Don't forget the important things like omega-3s (3000-4000 mg) daily from fish oil (really important for depression), eating plenty of protein for stable blood sugar, lots of fruits and veggies, deep breathing/relaxation and plenty of good, enjoyable exercise!

It's really great that you are trying to get through this without the use of pharmaceuticals.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Something I've recently discovered is K-Mag kg by source naturals. People with Lyme Disease often use it for something that develops called "Lyme Rage" when amonia develops in the brain and leading to anger, panic, anxiety, etc. It works very well to calm things down.

Closed Thread