It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

Hempist HB User
Unhappy Need help with bronchitis/pneumonia

My boyfriend has a history of bronchitis that turns into pneumonia since he has no insurance as can't just zip to the doctor when he feels bad. He's been sick pretty much since the beginning of December. We both have, I have a long history of sinusitis and he gets it occasionally and we thought it was just that or dome cold going around. I still have some congestion in my chest and head but otherwise I'm okay, he on the other hand, is not.
He has a very loud, rattling congested cough that is producing a pretty large amount of phlem that is a brownish/greenish mix. He started getting nose bleeds the day before yesterday. They don't last long but a decent amount of blood comes out. He's nauseous and not able to keep too much food down. I've been feeding him bread, crackers, Progresso chicken noodle soup and on occasion an egg when he wants it but his appetite is not that great. I've tried to get him to drink ginger ale but the taste makes him gag and you can guess what comes after that.
I've been giving him Theraflu but now it's got to where when he takes it it comes right back up. His throat is very sore and he wakes up with it swollen nearly shut sometimes.
I know he probably needs antibiotics but as I said before we don't have insurance and neither one of us can get a job so we simply don't have the money, which is very sad when it comes down to it.
My question is what can I do for him? Is there any certain herbs or anything that I should be giving him to try to help him get any better or to help his stomach? I know that ginger is great for upset stomachs but I can't get him to drink and keep ginger ale down. Is there a certain recipe for soup that I can make him that would have the herbs that would help him in it? I've tried making him green tea but he hates the flavor which makes him gag and, well you know. He's kinda fussy when it comes to taste if you haven't noticed by now.
I'm very worried about him and am trying to do everything I can for him, I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Need help with bronchitis/pneumonia

Find a local clinic with sliding-scale fees or payment plans. It will cost, but if he gets severe pneumonia and winds up in the hospital, it'll cost a lot more.

Meanwhile, keep giving liquids in small portions. Any liquid he can keep down, whether water, juice, gatorade or anything else, it sounds like he's in danger of dehydration. If you have a humidifier, use it, otherwise just hanging damp towels around the bed can help. You can heat up a pot of water and have him inhale the vapors, too. Also, Vicks vapo-rub or a muscle rub with menthol can loosen up breathing. Put a little on the chest, or just sniff it. Make sure he's propped up with pillows to improve breathing.

If things get desperate, if he becomes seriously disoriented, or blue on the lips or fingernails, or is having real trouble breathing, or if he goes 24 hours without keeping down liquids, go to the ER. They cannot turn you away if he is in danger.

Now, for preventing the next such incident, you have a lot of options. If either of you have allergies, you want to reduce allergens in the house by keeping it tidy, vaccuming, washing sheets in hot water frequently and dusting with a damp rag or paper towel.

Wash your hands a lot and avoid touching your face when in public. That can help prevent you from picking up the bugs that go around. At the first sign of illness, keep the air in the bedroom moist.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

Hempist HB User

Hes improving now, thank god. I had been boiling water on the stove (our bedroom is connected to the kitchen so the stove is fairly close to our bed) and from time to time i would put a small amount of Vick's in the water and I could see the improvement immediately. I'm constantly cleaning for his sake and mine but we live in an old house (circa 1900 farm house) so no matter how clean I keep the inside I can still feel the irritation in my sinuses from the mold and mildew that is no doubt everywhere in this house. He's more or less used to it even though he has asthma but I've only been living here since July so it still bothers me.
Thanks for the advice

Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
(male)

floundering HB User

Hi Hempest
For long term help I recomend Lung, Bronchial & Sinus Health from Natural Factors.

My wife has asthma & every winter would get chronic bronchitis.
we have been taking the supplement for a few years now. my wife hasnt had bronchitis in at least a year & hardly uses her inhalers maybe 1-2 times a month.

I know this wont help right now but down the road it will.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-09-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: product names are allowed, commercial websites are not

Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
(female)

Location: Manchester, England. English but grew up in Greater Vancouver, Canada
lady in black HB User
Smile Re: Need help with bronchitis/pneumonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hempist View Post
My boyfriend has a history of bronchitis that turns into pneumonia since he has no insurance as can't just zip to the doctor when he feels bad. He's been sick pretty much since the beginning of December. We both have, I have a long history of sinusitis and he gets it occasionally and we thought it was just that or dome cold going around. I still have some congestion in my chest and head but otherwise I'm okay, he on the other hand, is not.
He has a very loud, rattling congested cough that is producing a pretty large amount of phlem that is a brownish/greenish mix. He started getting nose bleeds the day before yesterday. They don't last long but a decent amount of blood comes out. He's nauseous and not able to keep too much food down. I've been feeding him bread, crackers, Progresso chicken noodle soup and on occasion an egg when he wants it but his appetite is not that great. I've tried to get him to drink ginger ale but the taste makes him gag and you can guess what comes after that.
I've been giving him Theraflu but now it's got to where when he takes it it comes right back up. His throat is very sore and he wakes up with it swollen nearly shut sometimes.
I know he probably needs antibiotics but as I said before we don't have insurance and neither one of us can get a job so we simply don't have the money, which is very sad when it comes down to it.
My question is what can I do for him? Is there any certain herbs or anything that I should be giving him to try to help him get any better or to help his stomach? I know that ginger is great for upset stomachs but I can't get him to drink and keep ginger ale down. Is there a certain recipe for soup that I can make him that would have the herbs that would help him in it? I've tried making him green tea but he hates the flavor which makes him gag and, well you know. He's kinda fussy when it comes to taste if you haven't noticed by now.
I'm very worried about him and am trying to do everything I can for him, I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
3 cloves of organic garlic 3 times a day but not near bed time or u won't sleep. Bump it up to 4 if u need but i find 7 days of the above clears a nasty infection. Stinks but works. Dice & mix with protien like cheese or yogurt to avoid burning ur mouth. I'm allergic to antibiotics & read this works & it does. It in a larger dose saved my life when i got swine flu in May 2009; i thought it was just another chest infection which i'm prone to but it took a whole bulb to ease the symptoms which were like being in a very hot sauna. The next day i had a repeat of symptoms that required a bulb and a half. It breaks my heart when i hear ppl are dying yet a cheap remedy is available to all :+(

Take care
Lady in black

P.s. Take siberian ginseng to clear the viral load in ur adrenal glands; i find i stopped getting infections all the time since taking this. I take 6 tabs a day @ bedtime & i'm in adrenal fatigue so take 3mths on 3wks off; not cheap but it works. I live in England, gp's usless mostly so herbs best option like u. Ur ginger btw dice add honey & hot water & tell him from me 'medicine ain't supposed to taste good' :-)

Last edited by lady in black; 03-08-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi the moisture in an environment would contribute to the molds that can make respiratory problems. It is paramount in that home to avoid eating sweets. I would open windows daily to let it air out even in fall and winter after turning heat down and letting the room cool down on its own. A daily airing for even a few minutes is useful. Once the air is completely exchanged they can be shut in winter again. In spring and summer they can be left open all the time except for rain or predicted rain for that day.

Is there interest in other health measures?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You're right, you don't want it too damp. Between 30 and 50% relative humidity is the best range for human lungs. Any drier and respiratory passageways can get overdried, any wetter and you might get mold growth.

If the heater is on, however, the house is more likely to be dry than damp.

Closed Thread