It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
(female)

Gayle58new HB User
Amitriptyline/Zopiclone Withdrawal - GABA/5HTP

I took amatriptilyn and zopiclone for sleep problems for about a year. I didn't like the side effects although it made me sleep like a log. I have totally weened myself off both over the past couple of months and for the last couple of days I have not taken any prescription drugs. I now feel like I am awake all night and have weird dreams. I have heard that it may take from 15 days to a month for the prescription drugs to leave my system - and until then my sleep will not be good - but should get better with time once the drugs are out of my system. I am not going back on these drugs but bought GABA and 5HTP. Will it do me any good to take GABA and 5HTP while I am withdrawing from the prescription drugs. They are expensive and I don't want to waste money if they will not help over the next few weeks.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User
Re: Amitriptyline/Zopiclone Withdrawal - GABA/5HTP

Amitriptyline's mechanism of action is as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, so the 5-htp should help with some of the withdrawal symptoms (5-htp is the precursor to serotonin). Zopiclone acts directly on GABA receptors, so depending on what kind of GABA you bought, it could help as well. Unfortunately, GABA is a large molecule and most cannot cross the blood-brain barrier. Only pharmaGABA has the ability to do that. Kava kava also acts on GABA receptors so you might look into that as well. You also might want to try some live support (milk thistle, N-Acetly cysetine, glutathione) to promote the detoxification of the drugs out of your system.

The following user gives a hug of support to lulu23:
Gayle58new (01-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Try diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Sominex, Nytol)

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
(female)

VA_girl HB User

DO NOT listen to Johnstar....Benedryl and OTC sleeping pills are just as bad. I just went off them after taking them for 4 years....so bad for you, now to get through the transition I'm taking the Kava and 5 HTP. The teas that blend the valerian, passion flower, lemon balm, chamamile, and hops are really good to have at night too. Don't go back to any meds, I would keep trying with the herbs.... for a few months 'til your body is back on it's natural cycle.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
(female)

Gayle58new HB User

Thanks for your advice - I knew right away that taking bendryl... was not for me. Unfortunately I live in Canada where Kava is not available and probably not legal to take accross the border. I have been sticking with the 5HTP and I will try and find the herbal tea you speak about today - thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

Closed Thread