HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alternative Medicine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/)
-   -   enzymes...any experience out there? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/833489-enzymes-any-experience-out-there.html)

marigoldgirl81 01-29-2011 09:09 PM

enzymes...any experience out there?

Hello~

I have been dealing with many medical issues for some time now, i am 29 and have decided to go with naturopathic dr after getting much worse on western meds and many drs for years. I have severe digestion problems that were exacberated by ppi use, fibromyalgia, mild thyroid problems, mahor hormonal problems, ahh the list goes on. Anyways, since developing major digestion problems and osing 40 lbs on a slim frame (i did gain some back past year but fighting to keep it on)...i am frustrated and know that my body is going to heal through food and herbs, etc...i've slowly seen some good stuff but i'm still struggling so much on a gluten, dairy, sugar free diet....last week my ND said he believes my enzymes are waaaay off and wants me to try a enzyme supplement for whole body...any opinions? experience?

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to many foods, supplements, meds, etc (didn't used to be) so it is a struggle beginning new things.

I am on a probiotic, adrenal support, magnesium/zinc/calcum, vit d, omega 3 oil, chinese medicine for hormones, iodine...and i think thats it as of right now.

sjb 01-31-2011 04:39 PM

Re: enzymes...any experience out there?

Hi I think if the right naturopath is found healing can be good. I think acupuncture is useless. I think many enzymes are from animals and raise potential for cancer. The vegetarian papaya in my opinion might not be all that helpful. Raw pineapple has lots of enzymes in it and can be juiced. Cabbage has been used for ulcerations inside the body and outside. Some other raw foods are said to have enzymes in them. I am not sure if probiotics are truly useful although I have a friend who likes them.

Vitamin D can be obtained with sun. I would get all the sun possible (without burning it or deliberately tanning it) except maybe between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m particularly in summer.

Sometimes a person is so desperate too many supplements are used or even too many foods in a meal and it is a bit too complex for the stomach to handle nicely. In the opinion of some meals should be simple containing maybe a couple dishes 3 at most.

I would leave 5 hours between meals and if a supplement or herb is taken I would take it with a bite of food instead of between meals for digestive reasons. Of course all decisions are in the hands of the people who use the various things.

jenj770 02-01-2011 02:35 AM

Marigold,

I would go with your Naturopath suggestions. I take herbs and or vitamins, as needed, for specific issues. I would much rather do this than drugs that have many side effects. I'm also sensitive to potions so I do a lot of research prior to starting something new. Listen to your body and what it's telling you.

Like you, I take probiotics and am on adrenal support and also use Chinese medicine for various things. All good stuff! Magnesium supplementation can be very important. Many people are mag deficient and don't know it. As for a general enzyme, it sounds as he/she is trying to strengthen your immune system. If you feel it isn't right for you just let him know right away so that he can make adjustments. But generally, enzyme therapy is not harsh.

I do not think Acupuncture is useless. I have used it throughout the years for many different issues and it has mostly helped. Acupuncture as well as Chinese medicine is more subtle than drugs, for sure, but this doesn't mean they are not effective.

The key for optimum health is balance. I think your working with a Naturopath is a good start to achieve this.

All the best,

Jen

marigoldgirl81 02-04-2011 07:10 PM

thanks jen :) Yes, i am on magnesium too, i am so sensitive after getting off of some western medicines that it is unreal. My ND is getting ready to finally order some bloodwork to find why i only eat 15 foods (i've eliminated so much) but am still having sooooo many problems with digestion and joints, runny nose. he believes i am sensitive to many foods with delayed reactions so its not showing up in my food diary.

Thanks for your guys input, i will contemplate trying a small amount maybe...so sick of being sick :) Maybe this bloodwork (testing 154 foods) will help me.

VA_girl 02-04-2011 08:12 PM

I'm with Jen on this, and I used to have very similar problems, going off of gluten, soda and alcohol has really helped. Magnesium is great for this, as well as the enzyme Wobenzyme, look into it, it is great. Also do a search online for "castor oil" packs. They are warm oil packs you lay on your stomach for a hour or two three times a week, it is sooooooo amazing....do stick with the probiotics too. But do some research on those packs, it takes a little work but its worth it. I feel so great now, after dealing with digestive issues for years. Good luck!