It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
(male)

Ayndru HB User
Question Need Advice on Prescriptions and Herbs/Supplements

Hello to all. I have had Panic and Anxiety now for about 4 years and it has progressively gotten worse. About 5 years ago I lost over 150 lbs. In the process of going through 4 major drugs to find one that works, it caused me to gain back about 80 lbs. Well this is not what I wanted and last year depression hit. So finally found a medicine that works. I am 25 years old btw.

Currently I taken Wellbutrin once daily and Ativan as needed. I am very big into herbal remedies and the likes. I have quite a collection of herbal supplements and want to take some that will fully complement my current weight loss regime which in about 3 weeks have lost about 10 lbs, all healthily. Here is what I have and from my own research the biggest interaction I can foresee is the biggest side effect of blood thinning effects. (I also have slight hypothyroidism but take no medicine for it.)

CLA Tonalin
Lecithin
Selenium
Bee Pollen
Ginkgo Biloba
Echinacea & G
Garcinia
Gotu Kola
Horsetail
Bladderwrack Kelp
Chickweed
White Willow
Green Tea
Biotin
Burdock
Astrgalus
Cayenne
Dandelion
Fenugreek

I would also like to take supplements because I have very bad allergies and had pneumonia horribly at 20 and get it about twice a year now. Again, I currently DO NOT take all of these and would like advice on if I can or which would be the most efficient to take to support weight loss without any interactions with my current prescriptions. And also if there are any other suggestions of what to take as well.

Thanks to all who read this and reply!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Need Advice on Prescriptions and Herbs/Supplements

I guess your research has indicated that these supplements would contribute to weight loss. Although all are helpful adjuncts for specific ailments and such, none of them come to mind when I think of them for losing weight. Maybe others will have a different take. However, if you are Hypothryroid, even slightly so, that could be contributing to weight gain. You might consider seeing an ENT to see if you need support. The thyroid needs to be checked regularly if there is an indication of abnormality as your profile can change, even month to month.
You might consider posting your lab results on the thyroid board here.

Best,

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 02-06-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
(male)

Ayndru HB User

Hello Jen,

I have seen my doctor quite a few times along the way about the weight gain and have questioned him about the hypothyroidism and weight gain as well as saw another doctor. Neither thought there was any way that it was that looking at my most recent thyroid test. They fully seemed to think it was the other pills I was on at the time. But I would love to hear the herbs you associate with weight loss

Sorry this is short need to get cracking on a healthcare management paper.
Have a great day!

Ayndru

Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Ayndru,

Sorry, but I do not know of any natural regimes for weight loss other than eating low carb. I am familiar with most of the supplements you mentioned, but as I said, I have not heard of them being used in that way. This doesn't mean they are not appropriate for your needs. Someone else will probably chime in.

The reason why I mentioned posting your lab results on the thyroid board here is because many people need supplementation but their doc's are not testing properly - for free T3 and Free T4. If your tests actually include these values, and your docs know how to properly read them, then you're probably okay. Personally, though, I think the gals on the thyroid board are more knowledgeable than most thyroid testing docs.

All the best in finding the answers you seek.

Jen

Closed Thread