It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
(male)

vinwe HB User
Staph infection after-surgery.. antibiotics wont work

I have had male breast removal. and have two large scars/wounds across my chest.

They are mostly healed but there won't fully heal because of a staph infection that won't go away, I have tried topical anti-biotic cream and anti-biotics from my GP.. but I think perhaps the infection is immune to them coz they don't work.

I am currently using herbs to fix the problem.. I am taking goldenseal, echinacea, gotu kola, garlic, sage, multi-vitimin, 1000mg Vit C, 3-4 times daily.. drinking lots of fluid, and staying healthy. I am also using eucalyptus/menthal essential oils inhalants and a topical cream I made myself from goldenseal, tea tree, aloe and echinacea.

My symptoms are: skin red around the wounds, yellow pus coming out of the open parts of wound, plus some swelling and pain.. the scars that have sealed have new tiny little spots/absesses coming up just near the surface of the skin that were not there before. I have some snottyness, but not much, I have a clear head and don't feel very ill.

The docters just keep saying the same thing, which is just to take more antibiotics, but I have tried 3 cycles now and they don't work.

Is there anything else I could do?.. it feels like its just getting worse.

Last edited by vinwe; 02-15-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Staph infection after-surgery.. antibiotics wont work

Hi yes there are some things... A good naturopath who does not practice acupunture in my opinion such as a good herbalist with an excellent reputation.

I don't know if men can take it or get it but "Robert's formula" might be useful. I would be sure to do things like increasing citrus, potatoes with skin, tomato, alfalfa, kiwis, blueberry, cranberry, squash, sweet peppers staying away from all sugar, alcohol, tobacco, tea, coffee, chocolate etc. Some cabbage might be good because it contains the chloride ion but because it may have some thyroid blocking properties (needed for fighting infection), I would not go overboard with it and a bit of seaweed containing iodine, in the same meal, might be useful.

If there is an item such as a whole grain vegetable, fruit, nut, or bean a person seldom eats it should be put back in the diet immediately unless it causes symptoms or allergies. A wide variety of food is good.

Things a person seldom eats might include things some people maybe have never heard of such as red mombin, cherimoya, litchi, caruba, guava, mamey, guanabana, mangosteen, passion fruit, feijoa, coronilla, lucuma, tamarillo spelt, millet, maybe teff, maybe sorghum flour, tritikale, occasional small amounts of amaranth, yellow eye beans, persimmon etc.

I would get a daily walk in sunshine, fresh air, and sleep 8 hours or a bit more a night. Sick patients may need more rest I hear.

A hydrotherapy treatment to the chest might be useful. A hot wet towel for 3-4 minutes followed by an ice cube 30 seconds and repeated 4 times with the last change the warm part of the cycle should be a bit warmer but not hot enough to burn skin of course. Then finish with the ice cube and dry well and go to bed for an hour. This can be done 3 times a day if needed, or at least once before bed at night.
What form of tea tree oil is being done?
How much water is being taken in? One needs about 50 ounces per 100 pounds body weight, therefore in my opinion if a man weighs 200 pounds he may need about 100 ounces of water daily. Staph is said to grow in the presence of salt but some is needed by the body. I would not totally eliminate it since the body needs some in every cell, but not go overboard on it either.
Peace.

Last edited by sjb; 02-15-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo at post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Have they tested you for the MRSA virus infection? My husband was in the hospital 4 years ago and contracted it, very common in hospital stays. It is very resistant to antibiotics, as they had him on 3 different kinds plus Prednisone. Please don't let this infection go and do ask your Dr. to have you tested.

Take care and hope your feeling better very soon....JJ...

Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would not do Prednisone with an infection present. Prednisone merely lowers the immune system further and makes a harder fight for the body. As for the doctors well it is obvious by the post these have been seen and the antibiotics did nothing. Staph can do that because it is often resistant to antibiotics. One person I know about lived with a Staph infection about 4 years before getting relief.

The tea tree oil by the way comes in lozenge form and suppository form if it is desired internally.

Last edited by sjb; 02-16-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Apply Betadine twice a day until the infection clears up

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 02-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi well I know someone who did the betadine trick and antibiotics and all the germ did was stay around and maybe even become more resistant.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

There is no evidence of resistance to povidone iodine (Betadine)

It can only attack surface bacteria, not deep seated infections though.

Boosting ones immune system can only be to the good. Daily multivitamins, Zinc and Vitamin C can boost the immune system and can also help speed would healing, well worth a try

OP - has your doctor taken a sample of the pus for sensetivity testing, that should tell him exactly which antibiotic will best kill your particular strain of staph, rather than keep trying different drugs at random in the hope of finding one that will work.

For a deep seated infection, you might need to take the drug for many weeks, not just the usual 5 day course

Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
(male)

jaredcfox HB User

a mixture of thyme and cinnamon oils has been shown to be very effective on MRSA infections. Thyme oil is one of the most powerful anti-virals out there. I would apply it directly to the wound, if full strength is to powerful agenst your skin, you can cut it with a high quality vegetable oil, or emu oil. and i would put some on a bandage, and put it over the wound

Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tea Tree Oil 100% applied twice a day.

Using Dial or Safeguard soap in the shower can make sure it doesnt spread.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi there is a nice All-heal ointment and a nice anti itch cream that might be useful. Some people have found 100% tea trea oil on the outside irritating to the skin but have found the tea tree oil losenges to be perhaps useful. Peace

Last edited by sjb; 03-24-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo at post

Closed Thread