It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
Distilled Water Benefits

Hi All:
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion or any knowledge on the benefits of distilled water. I have a large kidney stone and was told by a herbalist that i should drink distilled water because it does not have minerals. Being that a kidney stone is a calcium deposit, that would mean that my intake of calcium is not going into my bones it is floating in the blood and going into the kidney creating a stone. He said i should drink at least a gallon a day of distilled water and hopefully it will dissolve the stone. I drink a gallon of water now, but not distilled. i actually drink high ph water that i get from a special store because i was trying to alkaline my body. For some reason, I think I have some kind of an absorption problem. I think it could be candida in the intestines. I have been trying to get rid of it, but the diet is impossible. Anyway, i would love any input. Thanks. Goodnight. laLa P.s. I also posted this on other boards in case you are a board hopper like myself (LOL)

Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Distilled Water Benefits

The chances of distilled water disolving a kidney stone are about the same as the second comming of christ happening in your bedroom - its possible, but I wouldnt count on it happening.

Calcium stones arnt generaly a sign of too much calcium, they are a sign of excess calcium oxylate in the urine. To get rid of the stone, you can either wait for it to pass, try and have it shattered by high frequency sound waves, or have it removed surgicaly.

To prevent new stones forming, drinking planty of water (normal tap water is fine) is a good idea, and maybe take a daily dose of bendrofluazide or some other thiazide diuretic.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi LaLa52 I think soft water is a good idea. The water in some cities is filled with chemicals for antibacterial purpose and also sometimes mineral from the reservoir content. Keeping the distiller clean is also important. I think pills are more things for the kidneys to filter and make an extra burden for them. Lemon, apples, freshly made apple juice, red mombin and olive oil might be of benefit.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
(male)

John Carlos HB User

Yeah distiled water contains no minerals and it helps in dissolving your calcium stone because you don't require any more calcium. Why don't you try laser therapy.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

John:
Thanks for your reply. I am so confused about the water thing. In the summer I was drinking a gallon of water a day of high ph water. Recently it was mentioned i should try the distilled water. Everyone has a different opinion. Another person mentioned RO water. (Reversed osmosis) water. I am so confused in general. Not just about the water but about supplements in general. There are so many different opinions of what is good and what is not. I have to also mention that I am not suffering with the kidney stone. I know it is there and am afraid if this thing moves that i am going to be in severe pain, as iat is quite large, and have to be rushed to the hospital. The last place you want to be is there. You can come home sicker then before you went in. I have not considered laser therapy. I will have to look into it. Is that the same as blasting? My other issue is that how did i get this kidney stone to begin with? I am told that i am not absorbing calcium properly. that it is going into the blood instead of the bones and thats how it ends up in the kidney. The question is why? I am now taking vitamin K2 and not taking calcium at the moment. Do you see what I am saying. It is all too confusing. My blood work for calcium has not necessarily been out of range, but it is at the highest you can go within the range. One time is was slightly above. I think i will go for another blood test after being on the K2 for a while and see if there is any change. In the meantime, I was also just told that distilled water is acidic in the body. My body needs to be alkaline because i feel that I might have an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria in the colon. i have chronic chronic chronic gas and digestive problems and constipation unless i take something for that. i take some natural things for that. I also take oil of oregano. i can go on and on but I have to get out of my house. I have things to do. i also have fatigue and that is another reason i don't get out. When I am home and not working, I lack the energy. I do push myself to go to the gym though. About 4 times a week on average. Anyway, gotta run. Thanks for any input you or anybody else might have. LaLa

The following user gives a hug of support to lala52:
sjb (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I want to know if calcium and protein intake from the diet itself is watched and if there are any supplements being taken?

Last edited by sjb; 04-20-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: addition made

Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
Hi All:
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion or any knowledge on the benefits of distilled water. I have a large kidney stone and was told by a herbalist that i should drink distilled water because it does not have minerals. Being that a kidney stone is a calcium deposit, that would mean that my intake of calcium is not going into my bones it is floating in the blood and going into the kidney creating a stone. He said i should drink at least a gallon a day of distilled water and hopefully it will dissolve the stone. I drink a gallon of water now, but not distilled. i actually drink high ph water that i get from a special store because i was trying to alkaline my body. For some reason, I think I have some kind of an absorption problem. I think it could be candida in the intestines. I have been trying to get rid of it, but the diet is impossible. Anyway, i would love any input. Thanks. Goodnight. laLa P.s. I also posted this on other boards in case you are a board hopper like myself (LOL)
Surely you should drink when you are thirsty. A gallon a day seems about double the fluid you need. If you are also having soup, tea or soda you are consuming too much in the way of fluids I would think. Your poor kidneys are having to work overtime, and you are washing out your body salts and upsetting the electrolytes which can make you quite ill. Find out from someone who knows and certainly not a herbalist.
James

Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SBJ:
I was eating lots of spinach and broccoli which is high in calcium. I have recently cut down on those veggies. I was taking calcium supplements. I stopped that and am now taking Vit. K2. I do take other supplements as well. As far as protein. I don't think I over eat on that. I would say pretty average. LaLa

Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

James:
Everyone I speak to says I should drink at least a gallon a day. I have not really been making that amount lately. But when I do, I am including tea. I don't drink soda. Soup I just have once in a while when it is cold. laLa

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
James:
Everyone I speak to says I should drink at least a gallon a day. I have not really been making that amount lately. But when I do, I am including tea. I don't drink soda. Soup I just have once in a while when it is cold. laLa
If I remember this water consumption was made up during or just after ww2 and people have been following this since. I asked my wife and she believed it should be a gallon a day. Asked why, she said everybody knows this! I cant see any reason why you wouldn't just drink when you are thirsty. It may be that some elderly and or children should be monitored. It seems unfortunate that something such as fluid intake should be medicalized nowadays. I have read articles in popular magazines extolling the virtues of a gallon a day to flush out the "poisons" what ever they are. The facts may be that kidneys work less efficiently with extra fluids. I suspect that the web has continued to make people believe that more fluids lead to better health but it is just a myth. I could not find a single piece of evidence based benefits anywhere.
James

Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi a person who weighs 250 pounds would need a gallon of water a day. Those weighing less need less. Those who drink too much can get water toxicity. Those who drink too little can get dehydrated. I would not be surprised if the calcium supplements were the cause in this case.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I used to drink distilled water but have recently read an article about it by Dr Mercola and he recommends that gases/chemicals are condensed back into the water during the distillation process??

Now steam distilled water is not considered as safe as it use to be and it's stored in plastic containers.

It may be that you investigate Distilled Water more to make a decision.

Storing water in plastic containers also containers outgas chemicals from the various plastics that are used. Use Glass.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-23-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: typos

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
ninamarc (04-26-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Lala52: The experience some people have had with a distiller is that it at least has a scale of mineral or chemical leftover from the process after even one gallon of water. The water also tastes better. The only danger I see is if the collecting container or spout has any protozoa or bacteria contamination or has not been cleaned properly. Perhaps proper cleaning takes care of even this and some people recommend boiling the distilled water afterward in case of this problem.

Last edited by sjb; 04-23-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo and deletion addition

Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Guys - Harry and SBJ

This is so ******confusing. I can't live with worrying about every single aspect of what goes in my body. I am pretty health conscious but this whole water thing and all that is out there in supplements, and what we eat, I am going out of my mind. Can't we just enjoy life without all this constant worry? It is getting out of hand. I really want to get better with all that has ailed me in the past several years, but at the same time i have had it with all this. I do appreciate your feedback though, and I will continue to post and read. I love the internet and all the info that is out there. I also love communicating with all of you. It is just, in general, getting crazy. Don't you agree? LaLa

Old 04-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

lala,
I have been on these boards for 12 years. I have found that some areas can be quite confusing-- but the members are not the experts but tell of their own experiences.

To become well informed -- you have to find the Information written by the experts in their various fields. As I have found -- If you seek - YOU will Find.

Many books have been written about Water and some are very good but with as time(polution and processing byproducts) has changed our water system as well as others areas of our lives.

A good book worth reading is " Your Body's Many Cries For Water"
Since our bodies function on about 70% water --- it is well worth the effort for your our investigation-- and like myself you will find out what is best solution for you and the cost you are willing to pay for your water-- to get the the benefits you are looking for.

Sometimes there is just no simple answer for everyone.

But Keep the Faith---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-24-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Typos

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
sunshine12 (09-08-2011)
Closed Thread