It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

robby66 HB User
acupuncture for insomnia - side effects?

Hi - yesterday I received my fourth out of approximately six acupuncture treatments for insomnia. I have frequent awakenings during the night, my brain switches on and I can't turn it off! I'm also perimenopausal. So this acupuncturist is treating me for hormonal imbalance, anxiety, and insomnia.

After the second treatment, I started to notice some positive changes. While I was still not sleeping through the night, I felt I was awakening less. I also noticed that I was not practically falling asleep at my desk at work at 2-3 pm every afternoon. I feel like I have more energy and less anxiety. Very encouraging!!

I had my third treatment this past Saturday at about 12:30 pm tI went out with my husband that night had a couple of glasses of wine. This acupuncturist told me to wait at least 5 hours before having any alcohol after at treatment. I slept horribly that night and felt discouraged. I thought that maybe the alcohol disrupted my sleep as it has in the past, although it was only a couple of glasses.

The next day I had my fourth treatment, and I told him I slept poorly the night before. He inserted needles in different places this time. I didn't drink any alcohol after the treatment. Last night, I slept poorly again, although not as bad as the night before. I'm still feeling much better during the day, however.

Should I be discouraged by this? I have read that sometimes you can feel worse before feeling better. This is costing me quite bit of money, obviously. I don't want to convince myself it's not working, but I have concerns.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences to share?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: acupuncture for insomnia - side effects?

Hi yes one person tried acupuncture for 2 whole years for another condition and felt it was a total waste of money to be honest. It might be better to exercise with a brisk walk outside in sunshine and fresh air during the day go to bed at the same time every night. It will be good to block all sources of light during sleep time even the clock light.

Chamomile or hops tea might ease into sleep. The eating of peas from frozen packages which have been cooked for a very short time so that the peas are still a bright green and barely warmed might be useful. If they are overcooked for some reason the result is not quite as good. I would not use baking soda in the peas and I would use the slight amount of water used to cook the peas without pouring that water out since it is said to contain vitamins.

Last edited by sjb; 04-04-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: words added for clarification

Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Dappled HB User
Re: acupuncture for insomnia - side effects?

I have had acupuncture for insomnia and it was very effective, though the benefits wore off after about two weeks. There were no side effects.

Last edited by Dappled; 07-23-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Closed Thread