It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
(male)

jazzpine HB User
appointment with ND, but no physical exam?!?

Hello,

I had a new patient appointment with an Naturopathic Doctor yesterday. The appointment lasted about 90 minutes. She went over my entire health history and asked me a lot of questions about my health, eating habits, etc. However, she did not examine me at all! She recommended some supplements, and gave me some info on how to eat healthier, but that was all. I was expecting her to at least weigh me, take my BP, listen to my heart, look at my eyes, ears, nose, and mouth, etc. I also see a nurse practitioner, who gave me a full physical about a year ago. Is that common practice for a naturopathic doctor? I live in a state where NDs are not licensed, but I thought that just meant they couldn't order labs or prescribe medication. Has anyone else experienced this before? I look forward to hearing from others about this. Thanks!

Jason

Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
(female)

seantal HB Userseantal HB User
Smile Re: appointment with ND, but no physical exam?!?

I didn't have any physical exam with my ND either. She did actually do my BP but that is due to the fact that I happened to mention that my BP runs on the low side with an anomolous increased BP episode a couple of years ago. She then checked my BP. Actually, she did look at my tongue as well (she does do some Chinese medicine so she did look at my tongue to see what was going on with it). But basically I did the same thing as you 90 min intake, diet diary, symptom list, etc etc.

Chantal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User
Re: appointment with ND, but no physical exam?!?

I live in a state where NDs are licensed and what you experienced is common practice here as well. They focus on diet, lifestyle, symptoms, stress, etc.. Most NDs expect you to have a primary are doctor that does a physical exam. However, if you asked for a physical or for them to look at something (say a rash, sore throat, ear infection, joint or injury) they could look at it and give you some good information.. They are trained and capable of doing a physical exam, but most don't unless asked.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

wolfcafe HB Userwolfcafe HB Userwolfcafe HB User

Just like in trying to find a regular A.M.A. M.D that we like, the same holds true with finding a really great Naturopathic Physician that we feel we can trust and return for future appointments.
Some Naturopath's actually do give a pre-physical before going on to the WHOLISTIC approach (mind, body, spirit).
A great Naturopath physician is to be admired and promoted.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpine View Post
Hello,

I had a new patient appointment with an Naturopathic Doctor yesterday. The appointment lasted about 90 minutes. She went over my entire health history and asked me a lot of questions about my health, eating habits, etc. However, she did not examine me at all! She recommended some supplements, and gave me some info on how to eat healthier, but that was all. I was expecting her to at least weigh me, take my BP, listen to my heart, look at my eyes, ears, nose, and mouth, etc. I also see a nurse practitioner, who gave me a full physical about a year ago. Is that common practice for a naturopathic doctor? I live in a state where NDs are not licensed, but I thought that just meant they couldn't order labs or prescribe medication. Has anyone else experienced this before? I look forward to hearing from others about this. Thanks!

Jason
Jazzpine, So did you learn anything that you really didn't comprehend from the naturopath. Almost everyone knows that you should lessen stress, eat properly and get a good nights rest. I suspect that naturopaths are loath to give medicals as not being medically trained may well miss some pathology, and that might be not so good for the patient, to say the least.
Make sure your medical is completed by your MD.
James

Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #6
(female)

pianoprincesse HB User

I'm in agreement with still keeping up with a medical doctor for your physical exam and blood tests - (good luck getting a medical doctor to test your vitamin/mineral levels) (although generally you'll end up with a bunch of things you don't need, and extra drugs to go with it and on more a line of drugs than health by taking all of their advice. However, make sure not to discount medical doctor's training.

On the other hand, I have found that Medical Doctor's and Registered Dietitians have highly limited knowledge on what equals a healthy diet. I originally thought I would study for RD but while they learn the basics of food and nutrition and how it works in the body , I don't understand how they miss very basic connections to how everything works together. I switched over to studying Holistic Nutrition from alternative college and I did find that to be the most helpful information I ever obtained (written by a medical doctor I might add.)

To last poster: While everyone "knows" that they should be eating a healthy diet: few know what a healthy diet is. Ask any American and they will give you a widely differing idea on what is healthy. "Low Fat, Low Carb, sugar free (But artificial sweeteners!), No Carb, Paleolithic, Vegan, Vegetarian, Organic (but while eating processed boxed food still), Dairy free, wheat free, and many many more ideas that do not really equal 'healthy.' Sadly, in this we also think of weight as a good indicator of health. Many overweight people eat a much healthier diet than those that are not overweight - and exercise is not the differing factor here either.

A naturopathic doctor can guide clients to an actual healthy diet for their bodies that is not based on chemicals, artificial sweeteners, and vitamin lacking food. Don't fall into a trap of taking multiple herbal supplements in place of drugs though.

Closed Thread