It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

adivet HB User
alternative therapies for a child with recurrent otitis media

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, so please bare with me if this question gets very long. Oh, and pardon my Aussie spelling .

I am a proud mum of two boys. A 3.5 year old and a 16 months old.
My younger boy has a history of multiple ear infections the second he becomes snuffly. Each episode was obviously very painful for him and ALWAYS ended with a perforated ear drum.
We started down the common path of conventional medicine, but when we ended up visiting the doc once a fortnight, giving antibiotics again and again, and the doctor wanted him to have grommet surgery I decided to look at alternative medicine first.
We started seeing a chiropractor 4 months ago and more recently took him off dairy products (and both I and the chiro believed it is contributing to the increased mucous production) and stared him on Chinese herbs.
The chiro was very confident that we will not have more (or mostly a couple) episodes.

Over the past 4 months (It was winter time here in Oz) his ear drum perforated 3 times (without him showing any signs of being sick or painful). We just noticed pus flowing out... I assume it is a favourable outcome since he isn't suffering but I was hoping he wouldn't get any more episodes.
Last night the poor boy was very uncomfortable, running a mild temperature and this morning- pus. again.

This is frustrating more than I can express. I felt I was doing all the right things but my poor boy is still suffering (not to even mention the cost involved...). I'm not sure whether I should go down the grommets path, since this obviously isn't working.

I was wondering if someone has any experience with this, or an opinion.
I just want to do the right think by my son, and feel like i'm getting nowhere.

thanks for taking the time to read this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: alternative therapies for a child with recurrent otitis media

By grommets do you mean "tubes" as we say in the US? If so, I think he really needs them! Potential loss of hearing is too scary for me.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I would really consider the tubes. Repeated perforated eardrums are going to lead to scarring, which can cause hearing loss.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
(female)

adivet HB User

Thanks guys,

I was told that there is not enough research on long term "side effects" of tubes, and that the way they create a long standing "hole" means that the ear drum if more likely to scar up when they are removed/fall.
Its hard to know who to believe because both sides (conventional and alternative) are so against each other. At least the people I had discussions with.
Does anyone have experience with chiropractics for ear problems? Are they generally successful?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know about in Australia but here in the US it's a very common procedure that has been used for decades. I know scores of children who had them with no bad side effects. I would think that doing away with the antibiotics so often would be a huge incentive to have it done. As someone who had multiple issues as a child which has left me allergic to more antibiotics than I can name, it makes it really difficult when you have a true need for one.

Closed Thread