It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ShoreBette HB UserShoreBette HB User
Is there an Acupuncture Site?

I have had acupuncture for ankle pain, and I have to say, I believe it is very beneficial for whatever ails the body....

I have been considering getting acupuncture for allergy related issues, but would like to see visually where they would put the needles for something like that.....

I feel like I would want to know going in how it is typically done because when I went to acupuncture before, I felt like I was the one telling her where to put the needles.....when I thought she would already know where to put them....I just want to know whether a new acupuncturists was doing close to the right thing next time around....

if anyone can help, I would appreciate it

Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Re: Is there an Acupuncture Site?

I agree, unfortunately in my area, I am not sure I will find it....I knew there was a better formula for inserting those needles....

I notice when I am getting acu, I have a higher degree of kidney stones released....and I can coincide the acu to the timing of getting a stone...which can take up to 6 wks for me to resolve....so that has kept me from going since last stone...this may be a healthy thing, but it is also a debilitating problem that you don't want to set yourself up for....kind of scary...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I go to Acupuncture for allergies, TMJ and another problem. My Acupuncturist inserts needles in the back of my neck; one on either side in addition to the needles he places elsewhere on my body. There are Acupuncturists where I live, but this one is the best that I've found. I hope you can find a good one.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

How many needles total would you say that this acu uses? I always wonder what the max is, and if she will just insert needles wherever I tell her I am having discomfort..

have you noticed any difference in your allergies?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Acupuncturist uses quite a few needles on me due to all my problems. He puts 3 needles on each side of my jaw, the 2 in the back of my neck, one or 2on each hand, 3 on my abdomen when he's treating my female problem, some on my knees, legs, etc. Where he places the needles doesn't necessarily correspond with where my pain is. BTW, I did pass a kidney stone one time after my treatment. Anyway, when I first started going for Acupuncture, I was going twice a week. When our lousy insurance decided not to cover Acupuncture anymore, I cut back to once a week and now b/c I have to watch how much money I spend, I started going every other week. So far, so good. Hope this info helps.

The following user gives a hug of support to sunshine123:
seascanmper (10-04-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

My ins didn't cover at all, so I paid $75 for an hour, she would always let me have a while longer though....I know that acu moves things in the body based on the stones moving, it takes a powerful lot of energy to get those things moving because I had them first when I did not take acu...

At first, I didn't get the connection till it happened twice then I knew...she puts a lot of needles on the side of the leg, where the IT band is...that is where the needles seem to cause the stirrings of the stones....if I started having trouble right now, I would definitely go to get that stone moving, but, if they just stay put that is actually a good thing for me...

I know a woman who does her own acu....she used to go twice a week...and when it became financially impossible, she somehow got her own needles....and read up on it, and knew exactly how they were placed...she said with that little blue plastic tube that the needles are put into, it would be hard to not inject them right....she has not had any issues with her own acu since she started it...she said she had gone so long, she felt like she could become an acupuncturist herself...she also took a class on reflexology so that she could do her own...

Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

It really does not matter where you stick the needles if it is for female problems or asthma or skin conditions or medical conditions, just stick them in where they won't do any damage. Different for musculoskeletal problems, that requires a medical exam to know where they go. Feeling for pulses and looking at your eyes and all the oriental stuff etc is bunk.
James

Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Acupuncturist doesn't check my pulse or look at my tongue. A previous Acupuncturist I saw did that.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

REalllyyy??? now that's interesting....I take it that you might do acu?

interesting....because the acu I went to was recommended by another one who just didn't have the time or need of a new client...so she passed this one on by saying...."she went to med school for 4 yrs and almost became a dr".....I was impressed, so I went...but after I realized she had no formula for where she put the needles, I wondered about her past medical training vs her new Eastern medicine vocation...

I am thinking of going to a new one, but want to go in with it with some knowledge or I will be again spending money with a lot of confusion as to the methods used...

I always thought if a person was being treated for allergies, there had to be certain placement to allow that "chi" to bloom....or whatever it does....I know for sure that putting needles on the outside of your leg has something to do with the kidney....and will cleanse itself of stones...

right now I am having allergies to mold that has sprouted from a tiny leak in a door, and I am being the option of allergy shots or meds that don't agree with me....and of course, the mold redmediation will have to take place, but, I still need to deal with this issue so that my environment will not make me sick, nor will anyone elses....

That is interesting that I could stick a acu needle in my hand and get relief in my sinus.....I believe it....

The reason I would never recommend a acupuncturist who has an almost medical degree is because I had told her some of the challenges of having ankle surgery for a pinched peroneal nerve, not having known about the nerve being pinched until it had already caused some pretty intense symptoms, she suggested a book that discussed how we could self affirm ourselves into a better healthy place....as if I was obsessing about the ankle discomfort....I felt like saying..."no, its not my life, but it is a part of my life, which is why I am here".....if I didn't feel discomfort, I wouldn't seek out an acupuncturist...she might have been practicing eastern medicine, but her head was in western medicine.....wouldn't go back to her.....

Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine123 View Post
My Acupuncturist doesn't check my pulse or look at my tongue. A previous Acupuncturist I saw did that.
Ok, I just remembered mine did.....when I asked her about her chinese herbs that she was selling, and asked what formula would work best for allergy type issues, she told me to stick out my tongue and said "you look damp"....

damp....I don't get that....I was aware I didn't have a dry tongue, but what does damp mean? it's all too weirded out for me.....

I believe in alternative medicine, don't get me wrong....but some things are best just left unsaid.....

Last edited by ShoreBette; 10-05-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Closed Thread