It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

Dollface8x3 HB User
Can anyone help? I'm really worried.

I'm new . I'm sorry that this is such a long story...It started off because I have allergies for as long as I can remember. I've been on Benadryl (around 3 teaspoons just about every night for about 5-6 weeks)I take the walmart store brand because I have trouble swallowing pills. Well during my last period, I stopped taking it because I was taking Advil. Well, after 2 days off of the Benedryl, I got dizzy and my heart started pounding. I had some orange juice and laid down. After about 20 minutes it went away. However, when I was trying to go to sleep, my head was spinning, so I took some Benadryl and everything was fine. ...I was lightheaded off and on for the next two days, only Advil made it stop. I thought it was my period, even though I hadn't had that symptom before. However, even after my period ended, it remained and then what's worse, I because was anxious beyond belief, which is hard for someone who used to suffer from panic attacks (however, I haven't had one in over a year, and I wasn't stressed at this time.) I saw the doctor the next day, on campus, I was checked for: diabetes, hyperactive thyroid, anemia, all of which turned up negative. Also since stopping the Benadryl, I had night terrors, moments of anxiousness, and indigestion/periods of diarrhea, not fun stuff. Well, we gave it 2 weeks and my stomach got sort of better, but I was STILL lightheaded. She said my sinuses were inflamed, and most likely infected because they were dry and white, so she started me on z-pak. Well...that's when things got even more fun. I had the WORSE diarrhea on day 1, not to be gross, but it was like water for an hour and a half. It stopped so I was told to keep taking it. Days 2 and 3 there was no diarrhea, but nausea, so I started taking Emetrol and was given a prescription for Zophran, but I haven't taken that yet as I'm SICK of taking medicine, "medicine" is how I got in this stupid position. Anyway, when I went in about the nausea, she expressed concern about how long I'd been taking Benadryl, but didn't give me any advice on what to do about what she called "rebound effects" and I know my digestive system has been through hell, and I'm afraid that the antibiotics will make it worse. I'm just worried and frustrated because I don't know what to do anymore. I'm on day 5 of 5 and my stomach hurts (the good news is, I'm finally not lightheaded LOL) Anyway, my stomach hasn't really been the same SINCE a a couple months after a round of antibiotics last year when I got my wisdom teeth out (right around when I got my first panic attack). It's not severe but it's like, I don't know, I stopped drinking soda because it would burn, I gave up fast food because if anyone gets food poisoning-it's me. We could eat the same thing, but I always end up being the one sick. What the heck is wrong? They are in their 50's, I'm 21...this seems backwards to me, right? I know I'm rambling but no one I talk to really cares about health so there's no one to tell. Basically, my doctor commented about how hard Benadryl is on the liver but never told me what to do about it now that I've stopped taking it, possibly helping my body out in the long run after all of these medicines (which once I swallow this last pill I'm DONE with commercial medicines unless I'm on the verge of death. seriously). What should I do to help my body and digestive system recover? Am I just stuck like this forever? I'm in college (and unemployed as are my parents) and I can't really afford to see a doctor on a whim, you know?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
(male)

ambrotose HB User
Re: Can anyone help? I'm really worried.

It sounds to me like your immune system is compromised. You really need to get to the root of the problem rather than mask the symptoms. I understand your frustrations. Went through similar type stuff years ago.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Don't start taking Advil everyday if your worried about your stomach you will have more problems. Once in awhile is ok but it too will make your stomach bleed with over use.

Antibiotics do give some people the runs so don't panic. Why were you taking so much Benadryl ? Assuming to sleep good.
Sounds like your really stressed out. Need to try and relax a bit and take things a little slower maybe. Try some meditation and getting your meals on a schedule if thats possible.
Otherwise go to a good GI and see whats going on with your stomach when you can afford it. Feel better..

Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

petersmit HB User

I agree with sunshine12, avoid taking Advil everyday if you are having stomach problems as it contains ibuprofen, which can break down the protective lining in your stomach and intestinal tract with prolonged use.

Benadryl has a known side effect of causing an upset stomach. To help you recover from the effects of its long term use you will want to try and maintain an Alkaline diet. Some foods that help promote this include:
  • Bananas
  • Chocolate
  • Figs
  • Mineral water
  • Potatoes
  • Watermelon

You can find many more by searching "Alkaline foods".

I get the impression from reading your comments that you may have a lowered immune system, which can contribute to making your allergies worse.

Try boosting your immune system by getting restful and long(7-9 hours) nights of sleep as much as possible. You want to avoid using drugs of any kind to promote a good sleep pattern, instead start to relax at least 30 minutes before you plan to go to sleep by doing an activity such as reading or meditating.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

You really should look into taking some probiotics. They help replete the good bacteria in your gut, which are killed when taking antibiotics. A lack of beneficial bacteria from antibiotics can most certainly give you digestive problems AND compromise your immune system. Look for a product that is refrigerated and contains both lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium. Make sure you are taking a therapeutic dose - around 20 billion CFUs daily. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
(female)

Dollface8x3 HB User

Thanks so much for all of the input everyone! It means a lot to me. I'm definitely working on a new diet , because we all know the 'college kid diet' complete with the all-nighters are horrible. LOL.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dollface8x3:
petersmit (11-08-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
(male)

canti HB User

Hi,
First of all slow down on the Benydrill - they are strong and can cause serious long term problems.

Next, get your diet sorted. Going for an alkaline diet would be a good idea, but I'm afraid the other poster was a little off on alkaline foods. Potatoes are not, bananas are not, chocolate is, but only if raw and unprocessed/unsweatened in the form of expensive raw cacao. Don't worry too much about alkaline for now, but try move most of your diet over to fresh produce.

Stick to vegetables as much as possible - mostly leafy greens - spinach, kale, cabbage, broccoli etc are excellent. Limit things with lots of sugar eg fruit, carrots. Avoid processed foods, especially processed sugar.

And don't do a diet change too quickly.Keep it well balanced, and if you can stick to the 80/20 rule - 80% vegetables. Try to keep carbs and Dairly down a bit, but don't go too extreme.

Some important extras:
- For an upset stomach take activated charcoal - it's cheap and been used for a long time to treat this. It also soaks up lots of crap and takes it out, so don't take it near mealtimes or it might soak up the goodness from the food!

- Take a decent daily multi-vitamin, and consider a mineral suppliment too.

- Consider getting tested for heavy metals - this can often be the cause of serious problems, and also anxiety is on the list of symptoms. Do you have amalgum (mercury) fillings?

- Increase your water intake, and make sure you have good quality water without fluoride or chlorine.

- Try and get out in the sun for a while to boost your vitamin D levels, but don't get burnt.

- Try to avoid all GM ingredients - it's bad news for your immune system - so don't consume dairy with BGH in it or any corn/soy products for starters.

- Avoid aspartame and MSG like the plague.

- Look at what else in your life could be poisoning you.

An important point is to not make changes too quickly, as this can sometimes leave you feeling terrible. In most of us there is lots of rubbish stored up in fat reserves and other hard to reach places, and when that starts to come out it needs to do it slowly, and have a good exit plan (research liver clense and kidney health)

There are many occasions when we think we are doing good, but we end up doing bad, so that's why its essential to research lots and enlist the help of a professional nutritionist if needed. There are just as many alt health gimmicks out there (some dangerous) as there are pharma gimmicks.

Please note - I am not a doctor - I just have an interest in this, so don't trust anything I say - research first before you start changing your lifestyle!! Research everything you can, and read lots.

Good Luck!

Joe

Last edited by moderator2; 10-21-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

petersmit HB User
Exclamation Re: Can anyone help? I'm really worried.

By saying "alkaline" in the food and nutrition industry indicates "Alkaline Forming" foods. These are foods that promote your stomach into a more alkaline state.

Potatoes(with skin), sweet potatoes, and Bananas are "Moderately Alkaline" as mentioned. They are not as high as Spinach, but eating mostly high alkalinity foods can be too agressive of a change in diet.

Eventually you want to find a balance between acidic and alkaline foods but adjusting your diet to lean a little more towards alkaline can be beneficial to your needs Dollface8x3.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-08-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
(female)

Heartsy HB User

I think a good probiotic would help greatly with your problem. Something like Align or Culturele. You can buy it at the drug store and do not need a prescription. Please try it, you will see results after about a week.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
(female)

brightstar01 HB User

Hi google a herbal remedy called echinacea it is ment to be really good for your immune system it is a natural antibiotict. It helps with alot of illness's I am looking to buy this myself x

Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
(female)

awareness share HB User
Wink Re: Can anyone help? I'm really worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface8x3 View Post
I'm new . I'm sorry that this is such a long story...It started off because I have allergies for as long as I can remember. I've been on Benadryl (around 3 teaspoons just about every night for about 5-6 weeks)I take the walmart store brand because I have trouble swallowing pills. Well during my last period, I stopped taking it because I was taking Advil. Well, after 2 days off of the Benedryl, I got dizzy and my heart started pounding. I had some orange juice and laid down. After about 20 minutes it went away. However, when I was trying to go to sleep, my head was spinning, so I took some Benadryl and everything was fine. ...I was lightheaded off and on for the next two days, only Advil made it stop. I thought it was my period, even though I hadn't had that symptom before. However, even after my period ended, it remained and then what's worse, I because was anxious beyond belief, which is hard for someone who used to suffer from panic attacks (however, I haven't had one in over a year, and I wasn't stressed at this time.) I saw the doctor the next day, on campus, I was checked for: diabetes, hyperactive thyroid, anemia, all of which turned up negative. Also since stopping the Benadryl, I had night terrors, moments of anxiousness, and indigestion/periods of diarrhea, not fun stuff. Well, we gave it 2 weeks and my stomach got sort of better, but I was STILL lightheaded. She said my sinuses were inflamed, and most likely infected because they were dry and white, so she started me on z-pak. Well...that's when things got even more fun. I had the WORSE diarrhea on day 1, not to be gross, but it was like water for an hour and a half. It stopped so I was told to keep taking it. Days 2 and 3 there was no diarrhea, but nausea, so I started taking Emetrol and was given a prescription for Zophran, but I haven't taken that yet as I'm SICK of taking medicine, "medicine" is how I got in this stupid position. Anyway, when I went in about the nausea, she expressed concern about how long I'd been taking Benadryl, but didn't give me any advice on what to do about what she called "rebound effects" and I know my digestive system has been through hell, and I'm afraid that the antibiotics will make it worse. I'm just worried and frustrated because I don't know what to do anymore. I'm on day 5 of 5 and my stomach hurts (the good news is, I'm finally not lightheaded LOL) Anyway, my stomach hasn't really been the same SINCE a a couple months after a round of antibiotics last year when I got my wisdom teeth out (right around when I got my first panic attack). It's not severe but it's like, I don't know, I stopped drinking soda because it would burn, I gave up fast food because if anyone gets food poisoning-it's me. We could eat the same thing, but I always end up being the one sick. What the heck is wrong? They are in their 50's, I'm 21...this seems backwards to me, right? I know I'm rambling but no one I talk to really cares about health so there's no one to tell. Basically, my doctor commented about how hard Benadryl is on the liver but never told me what to do about it now that I've stopped taking it, possibly helping my body out in the long run after all of these medicines (which once I swallow this last pill I'm DONE with commercial medicines unless I'm on the verge of death. seriously). What should I do to help my body and digestive system recover? Am I just stuck like this forever? I'm in college (and unemployed as are my parents) and I can't really afford to see a doctor on a whim, you know?[/COLOR][/FONT]

yes canti/joe is a good answer. another enviromental trigger not widely accepted is wireless. i have gone through electric company to to disable the wireless comms(but the health world say it is safe so not disabling) as it appears to trigger -1. month long sinus, 2. inflamed collar bone, 3. muscle/bone pain. if i move out of area of signal path(RF detector) the discomfort subsides. nutrician triggers sugar. i am sensitive to most processed foods that contain phosphates! which is also found in cereals, detergents, laundry soaps. hope you are feeling stronger.

Closed Thread