It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

Enigma33 HB User
Rhodiola, other meds, and sleep?

I have hashimotos thyroiditis, generalized anxiety, and ADD. I take medication for the thyroid (levothyroxine) and for the ADD (Vyvanse). Both have worked fairly well, but have discovered I also have adrenal fatigue (cortisol saliva tests were all below ranges, or the very bottom number of range, except for at night which was the very highest).

I started taking Rhodiola 100 mg this past weekend to help with adrenal issues and anxiety. The first two days I was a little wired right after taking it, but then slumped in the afternoon (tired). On Monday and Tuesday of this week I felt GREAT- clear head, much more energy, happier. I mean, night and day difference. However, at night my body feels WIRED. My brain is tired, but still goes a bit, and my body is tired, but doesn't want to rest. As a result, I am finding it hard to fall asleep. I have not had this problem for a while, and not even while taking Vyvanse. It was transient at best in the past, and usually coincided with monthly cycles.

I am wondering if the Rhodiola will do this? I have read about people having insomnia with it, but I made sure that I took it early in the AM (about 7am) and not again. I try to get ready for bed around 8:30 and be asleep by 10 (I have to wake up at 5:15am).

I have also read that low doses can be stimulating, while higher doses can be sedating. Could this be what is happening here? 100mg is too low, and I may need 200mg or 300? I am afraid to try it in case the stimulation becomes stronger.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I have cut out all caffeine also, and almost all sugar. I am also staying away from foods that I am sensitive to (dairy, yeast) as well as gluten.

I want to continue taking rhodiola because I have felt amazing with it (I've never felt this anxiety-free), but I can't be sacrificing my sleep for it, or I'll just go back to where I was before.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Rhodiola, other meds, and sleep?

Yes, Rhodiola can accomplish these things but should be taken in the morning. I'm not sure a higher dose is the answer. You may need additional adrenal support. When I have saliva testing the lab also sends recommendations for supplements to address the issues and my holistic doc helps me to implement those suggestions.

Jen

Closed Thread